• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pedophilia does not have anything to do with homosexuality.

Draka

Wonder Woman
i dont have a problem with calling a hetrosexual a pedophile...and i would have thought that point was clear when i said that some pedophiles are attracted to females and some to males

hetrosexuals can be pedophiles and so can homosexuals. The only difference is in the orientation.

Well, then, I can assume you agree that homosexuality and pedophilia being linked all the time is pretty stupid, right? There really is no logical reason for relating the two to each other at all, correct?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Well, then, I can assume you agree that homosexuality and pedophilia being linked all the time is pretty stupid, right? There really is no logical reason for relating the two to each other at all, correct?

it probably needs to be considered on a case by case basis.

A man who abuses boys is a 'homosexual pedophile' because homosexuality means same sex attraction. A hetrosexual would seek out the opposite sex and is therefore a 'hetrosexual pedophile'

Unless you want to change the definition of homosexual from same sex attraction to something else???

Agnostic75

Pegg said:
When almost half of peodiphiles are abusing young boys, its only natural to class them as 'homo' sexual because they are males seeking out males.

Let me ask you to explain what the difference is between a male pedophile who only seeks to abuse young girls, and a male pedophile who only seeks to abuse young boys? What is the difference between these two?

The National Academy of Sciences says:

National Academy of Sciences said:
The distinction between homosexual and heterosexual child molesters relies on the premise that male molesters of male victims are homosexual in orientation. Most molesters of boys do not report sexual interest in adult men, however. (National Research Council, 1993, p. 143

So most males who molest boys are not interested in having sex with adult males, which means that most gay men who have sex with other gay men do not molest boys.

Consider the following:

Facts About Homosexuality and Child Molestation

psychology.ucdavis.edu said:
Gregory Herek, Ph.D., psychiatry

For the present discussion, the important point is that many child molesters cannot be meaningfully described as homosexuals, heterosexuals, or bisexuals (in the usual sense of those terms) because they are not really capable of a relationship with an adult man or woman. Instead of gender, their sexual attractions are based primarily on age. These individuals – who are often characterized as fixated – are attracted to children, not to men or women.

Using the fixated-regressed distinction, Groth and Birnbaum (1978) studied 175 adult males who were convicted in Massachusetts of sexual assault against a child. None of the men had an exclusively homosexual adult sexual orientation. 83 (47%) were classified as "fixated;" 70 others (40%) were classified as regressed adult heterosexuals; the remaining 22 (13%) were classified as regressed adult bisexuals. Of the last group, Groth and Birnbaum observed that "in their adult relationships they engaged in sex on occasion with men as well as with women. However, in no case did this attraction to men exceed their preference for women....There were no men who were primarily sexually attracted to other adult males..." (p.180).

Other researchers have taken different approaches, but have similarly failed to find a connection between homosexuality and child molestation. Dr. Carole Jenny and her colleagues reviewed 352 medical charts, representing all of the sexually abused children seen in the emergency room or child abuse clinic of a Denver children's hospital during a one-year period (from July 1, 1991 to June 30, 1992). The molester was a gay or lesbian adult in fewer than 1% of cases in which an adult molester could be identified – only 2 of the 269 cases (Jenny et al., 1994).

In yet another approach to studying adult sexual attraction to children, some Canadian researchers observed how homosexual and heterosexual adult men responded to slides of males and females of various ages (child, pubescent, and mature adult). All of the research subjects were first screened to ensure that they preferred physically mature sexual partners. In some of the slides shown to subjects, the model was clothed; in others, he or she was nude. The slides were accompanied by audio recordings. The recordings paired with the nude models described an imaginary sexual interaction between the model and the subject. The recordings paired with the pictures of clothed models described the model engaging in neutral activities (e.g., swimming). To measure sexual arousal, changes in the subjects' penis volume were monitored while they watched the slides and listened to the audiotapes. The researchers found that homosexual males responded no more to male children than heterosexual males responded to female children (Freund et al., 1989).

So the vast majority of homosexuals who have sex with adult homosexuals, which is the vast majority of homosexuals, do not also have sex with children, and you do not have any reasonable secular arguments against them.

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Among children there's little difference.

Homosexuality specifically refers to adults.

Now, I don't know if I would go that far. That's like saying you don't know you are gay until you are an adult and then you are magically attracted to other adults. Homosexuality, like heterosexuality, is simply orientation. Most have an inkling of their orientation when they are quite young, not adults. If homosexuality referred to adults you would not have 12 y/o kids "coming out of the closet". Much like you would not have 13 and 14 y/o girls having babies either. Sexuality is not an adult thing. However, when an adult takes advantage of a child, is abnormally attracted to, and manipulates children into sexual acts, that is considered a perversion or fetish, regardless of orientation, and is a crime.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
A man who abuses boys is a 'homosexual pedophile' because homosexuality means same sex attraction. A hetrosexual would seek out the opposite sex and is therefore a 'hetrosexual pedophile'
Once again to those with a high "Huh?" factor:
Pedophilia isn't sexual attraction -- it's age attraction.
Most pedophiles are male heterosexuals abusing little boys.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Now, I don't know if I would go that far. That's like saying you don't know you are gay until you are an adult and then you are magically attracted to other adults. Homosexuality, like heterosexuality, is simply orientation. Most have an inkling of their orientation when they are quite young, not adults. If homosexuality referred to adults you would not have 12 y/o kids "coming out of the closet". Much like you would not have 13 and 14 y/o girls having babies either. Sexuality is not an adult thing. However, when an adult takes advantage of a child, is abnormally attracted to, and manipulates children into sexual acts, that is considered a perversion or fetish, regardless of orientation, and is a crime.

I don't consider pubescent/post-pubescent teenagers children, and I don't think the official definition of pedophilia extends to them (though I could be wrong.)

Nevertheless, that is true if we don't consider such teenagers as "adults".

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Among children there's little difference.

its understandable that there is confusion over the terms when there is no clear definition

At what age could a child/young person 'know' they are homosexual if homosexual refers to adults?

Last edited:

Agnostic75

Pegg said:
It's understandable that there is confusion over the terms when there is no clear definition.

At what age could a child/young person 'know' they are homosexual if homosexual refers to adults?

You must know that sexual identity starts with puberty. Wikipedia says:

Wikipedia said:
On average, girls begin puberty at ages 10–11; boys at ages 11–12. Girls usually complete puberty by ages 15–17, while boys usually complete puberty by ages 16–17. The major landmark of puberty for females is menarche, the onset of menstruation, which occurs on average between ages 12–13; for males, it is the first ejaculation, which occurs on average at age 13."

"As a medical diagnosis, pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in persons 16 years of age or older typically characterized by a primary or exclusive sexual interest toward prepubescent children (generally age 11 years or younger, though specific diagnostic criteria for the disorder extends the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13). An adolescent who is 16 years of age or older must be at least five years older than the prepubescent child before the attraction can be diagnosed as pedophilia.

The main issue is that you have claimed that a good percentage of adult homosexuals are pedophiles, and that is false since lots of research has shown that the vast majority of adult homosexuals are not interested in having sex with minors.

Horrorble

I knew I liked boys in a different way to girls when I was like 5, when I was say 7/8 that is when I 100% knew I like boys.

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
Pedophilia does not have anything to do with homosexuality
true.

But men molesting or raping boys is 100% homosexual pedophilia.

And women molesting or raping girls is 100% homosexual pedophilia.

How does this pertain to a religious forum?

Well, there was recently a scandal in the catholic church where there were quite a few priest (all men) who were molesting and/or raping boys.
And the catholic church trying to sweep it all under the rug.

Definitely cases of homosexual pedophilia.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Pedophilia does not have anything to do with homosexuality
true.

Well, there was recently a scandal in the catholic church where there were quite a few priest (all men) who were molesting and/or raping boys.

Obviously you did not read this thread all the way through. :facepalm:

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
Not true.

What is an adult anyway?

Today it might be 18 years old.

200 years ago it might have been 15 years old.

If the age of legal consent was reduced to 14 years old both heterosexual and homosexual people would be having sex with 14 year old people.
Just as they did in the past.

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
You cannot ignore that homosexuality of not controlled by societal laws and rules.
You like males, or you like females, or you like both, regardless of what society dictates.

But pedophilia is controlled by a very large extent by societal laws and rules.
Societies dictate what is the legal age of sexual consent.

If a society agrees that 12 is the legal age of sexual consent , then a guy having sex with a 12 year old girl is not a pedophile.
But that same guy having sex with a 12 year old boy would still be a homosexual, regardless if it were legal or not.

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
Truth - 51% of men selected female children.
21% selected both. Females victimized 2-1.
83% of child molesters are heterosexual.
Keep in mind that these stats are rather meaningless as they are derived from convictions.

Yes, men are CHARGED and CONVICTED at a much higher rate than women offenders.
But it is false logic to determine that there are less female offenders than male offenders merely based upon convictions.

If you believe it to be true then you would also have to believe that african-americans commit more crimes than european-americans based upon convictions per population percentage.

Password

I heard a statistic once that 2% of the population is homosexual and of all the known cases of child molestation around 50% of them come from that 2%. I think was only a USA stat. Heard it on the radio. Don't know if it is true. It's what I heard.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
Truth - 51% of men selected female children.
21% selected both. Females victimized 2-1.
83% of child molesters are heterosexual.
Keep in mind that these stats are rather meaningless as they are derived from convictions.

Yes, men are CHARGED and CONVICTED at a much higher rate than women offenders.
But it is false logic to determine that there are less female offenders than male offenders merely based upon convictions.

If you believe it to be true then you would also have to believe that african-americans commit more crimes than european-americans based upon convictions per population percentage.

Baloney to that they don't count.

Pedophilia is a sexual attraction to prepubescent children.

Both heterosexuals and homosexuals partake.

Stop the homosexual cr@p.

Kerr

true.

In a way you could look at it like that. On the other hand, there is an argument to be made that pedophilia is an entity in its own right, seperate from hetrosexuality and homosexuality.