• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pedophilia does not have anything to do with homosexuality.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think there's an assumption that males are sexual hunters, and that women are the keepers of intimacy. Couple that with an assumption that homosexuality is a choice, and you wind up with a perspective of males who are more out of control than a default status of being out of control.

Presto. Assumptions that gay men rape kids. Which is horribly horribly wrong as an assumption

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Perhaps the perception of a man preying on another man is seen as a homosexual thing because its, as its name suggests, male/male....which is what homosexuality is.
But that's not what homosexuality is. But thanks for saying that, because it illustrates beautifully the confusion surrounding the apparent biblical injunction against homosexuality.

The act does not constitute or define the orientation. IOW, the act isn't "homosexuality." The orientation is "homosexuality." And the orientation is more than simple attraction. It really has more to do with how one defines oneself sexually in relationship to other sexual beings. The ancients didn't understand that aspect of sexual identity. To them, the act was nothing more than an act. And since the act wasn't seen as an indicator of one's sexual definition, the act was seen as "abominable" and "unnatural," since, of course, it was simply assumed that males were naturally drawn sexually to females.

Once again, pedophilia isn't a sexual thing. It's a violence thing.

sojourner

pedophilia refers to sexual feelings towards prepubecent.

Pedophiles are those who experience sexual arousal exclusively towards or primarely towards the prepubecent.

As a medical diagnosis, pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in persons 16 years of age or older typically characterized by a primary or exclusive sexual interest toward prepubescent children (generally age 11 years or younger, though specific diagnostic criteria for the disorder extends the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13).[1][2][3][4]

Pedophilia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(the sources from where wikipedia gets this are "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition". American Psychiatric Publishing. 2013. Retrieved July 25, 2013.

See section F65.4 Paedophilia. "The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders Diagnostic criteria for research World". World Health Organization/ICD-10. 1993. Retrieved 2012-10-10. "B. A persistent or a predominant preference for sexual activity with a prepubescent child or children. C. The person is at least 16 years old and at least five years older than the child or children in B."

Pedophilia". Encyclopædia Britannica.

Seto MC.(2009) Pedophilia. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology 5:391–407.
I wonder, though, if the sexual arousal isn't consequent to the feeling of power and control and not antecedent to the attraction. The "attraction" is the power and control, yes? Reinforced by the consequent sexual arousal.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Once again, pedophilia isn't a sexual thing. It's a violence thing.

i dont agree with that at all. Pedophiles have openly admitted that they are sexually attracted to children. They have a sexual desire for children. Its not a violent attraction, its a sexual one.

And there is even an organization of pedophiles who are fighting to have their 'natural' desire for children to be recognized as a natural desire because they want it legalized.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
i dont agree with that at all. Pedophiles have openly admitted that they are sexually attracted to children. They have a sexual desire for children. Its not a violent attraction, its a sexual one.

Even if that were true (sources, please), it would still have absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member

And there is even an organization of pedophiles who are fighting to have their 'natural' desire for children to be recognized as a natural desire because they want it legalized.
All sexual desires are "natural", that doesn't change with fetishes. Does that mean people who have a sexual desire for feet should be recognized? Desires will remain natural regardless of whether or not it is illegal however the most natural form of desire is that of an adult man and woman biologically speaking. It isn't natural to be attracted to an undeveloped human unless it is a fetish.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I wonder, though, if the sexual arousal isn't consequent to the feeling of power and control and not antecedent to the attraction. The "attraction" is the power and control, yes? Reinforced by the consequent sexual arousal.

Yep, and doctors have noted that - saying that they think like serial killers.

sojourner

By definition, the attraction is violence, because children are unable to enter into a consensual sex relationship. When the relationship is non-consensual, it's violence. The pedophiles are only half the equation. What are the little kids saying? I'll bet they're not saying that they're "just in it for the sex."

Agnostic75

Agnostic75 said:
Why do so many conservative Christians try to compare pedophilia with homosexuality?

Pegg said:
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that most pedophiles are men who prey on young males and they proceed to commit homosexual acts on them.

My post #76 shows that you do not have any idea what you are talking about. Why didn't you reply to it? Do you ever actually study research?

Pegg said:
I don't agree with that at all. Pedophiles have openly admitted that they are sexually attracted to children. They have a sexual desire for children. It's not a violent attraction, it's a sexual one.

I agree. Consider the following:

Wikipedia said:
As a medical diagnosis, pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in persons 16 years of age or older typically characterized by a primary or exclusive sexual interest toward prepubescent children (generally age 11 years or younger, though specific diagnostic criteria for the disorder extends the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13). An adolescent who is 16 years of age or older must be at least five years older than the prepubescent child before the attraction can be diagnosed as pedophilia.

Characteristics and Behavioral Indicators of a Pedophile

www.co.whatcom.wa.us said:
Sheriff's Office, Whatcom County, Washington State

Pedophiles are usually non-violent and have few problems with the law, and are frequently respected community members.

The widespread misconception that child molestation consists solely of children being seized from the street and forcibly molested couldn't be further from the truth. Although these incidents do occur, the vast majority of child molesters are adults who seduce children through subtle intimidation and persuasion and are known to the child.

However, as I showed in my post #76, the vast majority of homosexuals are not pedophiles.

Pegg said:

You are probably referring to a homosexual group that is called NAMBLA (North American Man Boy Love Association). They do want age of consent laws lowered, but they are widely rejected by other homosexuals. Wikipedia says:

Wikipedia said:
The first documented opposition from LGBT organizations to NAMBLA occurred in the conference that organized the first gay march on Washington in 1979.

In 1980 a group called the "Lesbian Caucus – Lesbian & Gay Pride March Committee" distributed a hand-out urging women to split from the annual New York City Gay Pride March because the organizing committee had supposedly been dominated by NAMBLA and its supporters. The next year, after some lesbians threatened to picket, the Cornell University gay group Gay PAC (Gay People at Cornell) rescinded its invitation to NAMBLA founder David Thorstad to be the keynote speaker at the annual May Gay Festival. In the following years, gay rights groups attempted to block NAMBLA’s participation in gay pride parades, prompting leading gay rights figure Harry Hay to wear a sign proclaiming "NAMBLA walks with me" as he participated in a 1986 gay pride march in Los Angeles.

By the mid-1980s, NAMBLA was virtually alone in its positions and found itself politically isolated.

The gay population in general does not have a higher rate of pedophilia than the heterosexual population. Numbers differ but not very much. It is probably the impact of the catholic priest scandals in the media that helped this belief along. The John Jay report stated that 81% of pedophilia by catholic priests was committed against males, while only 19% was committed against females. This means that the majority of pedophilia committed in the catholic church was done by homosexual priests. It is estimated that between 16% - 55% of priests are homosexual. If this is the case, the incidence of pedophilia in the catholic church is no more than the population in general. It was simply reported in the media more.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

My post #76 shows that you do not have any idea what you are talking about. Why didn't you reply to it? Do you ever actually study research?

because im not debating it.... i already conceeded the point of the statistics.

Also, the question in the OP was 'why' and my response was a 'probably'

When almost half of peodiphiles are abusing young boys, its only natural to class them as 'homo' sexual because they are males seeking out males. If its a male abusing a female, he' is not viewed as homosexual but as a child molester. But i think the 'perception' of a man who abuses a male child is that he is a 'homosexual'. When I think of a peodophile priest who abuses young boys, i naturally assume that priest to have homosexual tendencies. If he was abusing girls, then he's probably not attracted to males and therefore not homosexual.

perhaps its an unfortunate perception, but its a perception nonetheless.

Let me ask you to explain what the difference is between a male pedophile who only seeks to abuse young girls, and a male pedophile who only seeks to abuse young boys? What is the difference between these two???

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Let me ask you to explain what the difference is between a male pedophile who only seeks to abuse young girls, and a male pedophile who only seeks to abuse young boys? What is the difference between these two???

Nothing substantive.

Draka

Wonder Woman
because im not debating it.... i already conceeded the point of the statistics.

Also, the question in the OP was 'why' and my response was a 'probably'

When almost half of peodiphiles are abusing young boys, its only natural to class them as 'homo' sexual because they are males seeking out males. If its a male abusing a female, he' is not viewed as homosexual but as a child molester. But i think the 'perception' of a man who abuses a male child is that he is a 'homosexual'. When I think of a peodophile priest who abuses young boys, i naturally assume that priest to have homosexual tendencies. If he was abusing girls, then he's probably not attracted to males and therefore not homosexual.

perhaps its an unfortunate perception, but its a perception nonetheless.

I find it interesting that you use the words "child molester" for male on female pedophilia yet homosexual for male on male pedophilia. You still seem to have such reservations attaching the word "heterosexual" anywhere around pedophilia yet have no qualms with using "homosexual" in regards to it. Why is that? Especially considering there are far more opposite sex acts than there are same sex acts statistically.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I find it interesting that you use the words "child molester" for male on female pedophilia yet homosexual for male on male pedophilia. You still seem to have such reservations attaching the word "heterosexual" anywhere around pedophilia yet have no qualms with using "homosexual" in regards to it. Why is that? Especially considering there are far more opposite sex acts than there are same sex acts statistically.

i dont have a problem with calling a hetrosexual a pedophile...and i would have thought that point was clear when i said that some pedophiles are attracted to females and some to males

hetrosexuals can be pedophiles and so can homosexuals. The only difference is in the orientation.