• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poor People's Campaign Readies Nationwide Mobilization

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure, but it might happen as an accident. Should an accident screw someone over for their entire lives ?
No.
But there are still opportunities to select good choices over bad.
And it's easy to give an infant up for adoption, if that choice
serves them best. And perhaps their safe sex could be made
even safer.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No.
But there are still opportunities to select good choices over bad.
And it's easy to give an infant up for adoption, if that choice
serves them best. And perhaps their safe sex could be made
even safer.

Do you mean parents should give their children to adoption due to economic reasons ?
Do you call that a good choice ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you mean parents should give their children to adoption due to economic reasons ?
Do you call that a good choice ?
Almost loaded questions, eh.....
I don't say "should".
And "good" is a judgement which only the parents should make.

Too often people make a decision accompanied by, "I had no choice.".
But this is to not face the existence of other options, & consider them
with an open mind. I urge more thought & imagination when deciding
upon options.

You have many challenges.
But what are your thoughts on the matter?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Yes, sometimes we need to pull back and let people make mistakes. However, when they become a danger to themselves and to those around them we have a social imperative to intervene. There are a number of ways this intervention can occur.

There are multiple solutions to this, including an abortion. The huge problem here is that in FAR too many cases, Joe goes on to have other partners, leaving Jane high and dry with a baby born out of wedlock swelling the ranks of single parent families. Yes, we should help Jane and possibly including sex education training. Joe, if he continues his fleeing drone habits, should be arrested for reckless endangerment for all he has put his partners through. If Joe and Jane stick together we should help them as a couple with sex education training thrown in for good measure.

Fair enough. But if Joe and Jane, be them together or not, are willing to compromise, would you be in favor of providing aid to them to the point they can raise this child and get themselves out of poverty ?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Fair enough. But if Joe and Jane, be them together or not, are willing to compromise, would you be in favor of providing aid to them to the point they can raise this child and get themselves out of poverty ?
IF they are trying to be responsible about their predicament, then, sure. Help the silly buggers.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Almost loaded questions, eh.....
I don't say "should".
And "good" is a judgement which only the parents should make.

Too often people make a decision accompanied by, "I had no choice.".
But this is to not face the existence of other options, & consider them
with an open mind. I urge more thought & imagination when deciding
upon options.

You have many challenges.
But what are your thoughts on the matter?

It was you that brought up giving children to adoption...
Regardless, I find it very sad you would even consider that to be a choice.
No decent person would ever think of that as being a choice except under the most extreme circumstances. That's my thought on the matter.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Seems reasonable enough.
I try. The point is that this "fleeing drone" effect, of irresponsible young men who bed anything that moves and have no intention of helping their victims really needs to be addressed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It was you that brought up giving children to adoption...
Regardless, I find it very sad you would even consider that to be a choice.
No decent person would ever think of that as being a choice except under the most extreme circumstances. That's my thought on the matter.
Many people give up children for adoption when they're
too young, not financially ready, or have other plans.
You find them "indecent". That could be called "sad".
It's their life, & their circumstances. I respect their choice.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I try. The point is that this "fleeing drone" effect, of irresponsible young men who bed anything that moves and have no intention of helping their victims really needs to be addressed.

No disagreement on my part.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Many people give up children for adoption when they're
too young, not financially ready, or have other plans.
You find them "indecent". That could be called "sad".
It's their life, & their circumstances. I respect their choice.

As I have said, there are extreme circumstances where I would respect that choice.
But otherwise, no, I would not.

Akivah

Do you have any extra data on that ?
For instance, what sort of education did their parents have ?
How much money did they get from their parents or spouse ?

Data like that, you know. Stuff that can easily influence the outcome that has nothing to do with what they have done themselves.
I can't find it online. But I did find a CNBC survey that polled 514 millionaires. Millionaires survey: Go ahead, tax us more!

When asked about the No. 1 factor in obtaining their wealth, the millionaires ranked hard work first (23 percent), followed by smart investing (21 percent) and savings (18 percent). Education ranked fourth, at 10 percent, followed by frugality and then inheritance. Only 1 percent cited luck as the top reason for their wealth.

Multimillionaires, or people worth $5 million or more, were more likely to cite "running my own business" as their top wealth factor. Women were three times more likely to cite inheritance as their top wealth factor (15 percent vs. 5 percent for men), while men were more likely to cite savings (20 percent vs. 14 percent for women).

So do you believe that it is impossible for anyone to become a millionaire by working at it?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I can't find it online. But I did find a CNBC survey that polled 514 millionaires. Millionaires survey: Go ahead, tax us more!

So do you believe that it is impossible for anyone to become a millionaire by working at it?

Why don't you believe that people can actually earn that much money on their own?

I am sorry but I don't care how they rank it themselves. I want the hard facts.
I do believe that people can actually earn that much money on their own. The question is: How often ?

EDIT: And also, to what extent did they get help to get there ?

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Have much experience with adoption & parents?

Not really. Only two cases.
One of them was a adopted dude who found out by himself he was adopted. Always felt rejected.
The other was a dude that adopted a girl because his wife wanted it quite badly. Turns out he didn't and they ended up divorcing and he barely has any contact with them both now.
Never had any contact with someone, at least not that I know of, that gave their children to adoption.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not really. Only two cases.
One of them was a adopted dude who found out by himself he was adopted. Always felt rejected.
The other was a dude that adopted a girl because his wife wanted it quite badly. Turns out he didn't and they ended up divorcing and he barely has any contact with them both now.
Never had any contact with someone, at least not that I know of, that gave their children to adoption.
Even if it isn't easy, it often has good results.
This is what can make it a "decent" decision.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Even if it isn't easy, it often has good results.
This is what can make it a "decent" decision.

Getting rid of a financial burden can ameliorate your economical situation, but I wouldn't call it a decent decision just because of that. Who would've thought I would be the one defending that people ought to be responsible for their own actions on this case which entails being responsible for raising their own children ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Getting rid of a financial burden can ameliorate your economical situation, but I wouldn't call it a decent decision just because of that. Who would've thought I would be the one defending that people ought to be responsible for their own actions on this case which entails being responsible for raising their own children ?
It is responsible to find adoptive parents who can better raise a child.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
By stripping yourself of the responsibility to raise your children ?
I disagree.
After giving a child up for adoption, it's more accurate & complete to
say the responsibility was transferred, ideally to a better environment.

Hey, @Shadow Wolf ....what do you think about the ethics of adoption?