• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Return of Christ

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It takes only one mistake to change the whole meaning of a transcibed message if the writer works by his own understanding.

It is not logical to believe God prevented even one mistake.

I will illustrate. A scribe misundertanding one point must make all other points coincide with the erroneous one.

It is what "a little leaven ferments the whole thing" means.

james2ko

It takes only one mistake to change the whole meaning of a transcibed message if the writer works by his own understanding.

It is not logical to believe God prevented even one mistake.

I will illustrate. A scribe misundertanding one point must make all other points coincide with the erroneous one.

It is what "a little leaven ferments the whole thing" means.

Unless you can definitively prove there were transcribal errors in the verses pertaining to Christ's visible return. I have to go with what text we have available. Your doctrinally biased speculation does not do it for me.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Unless you can definitively prove there were transcribal errors in the verses pertaining to Christ's visible return. I have to go with what text we have available. Your doctrinally biased speculation does not do it for me.
I have nothing.

Matthew 24:30
Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.

Luke 21:27
At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

Revelation 1:7
"Look, he is coming with the clouds," and "every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth "will mourn because of him." So shall it be! Amen.

Are these all of them?

outhouse

Atheistically
Nevertheless, Jesus adamantly stated that his followers are to "Watch" and be aware of signs which would indicate the nearness of His return.

No sir.

He never stated such a word.

The gospels were written by unknown authors, far removed from Jesus life.

And that is your ONLY source here.

outhouse

Atheistically
Unless you can definitively prove there were transcribal errors in the verses pertaining to Christ's visible return.

There may be errors here. But it is not major enough to really change the original context.

Your right, and wrong.

You really need to look at the credibility of the source here. And most apologist will not, and refuse to learn about the real history and creation of the books themselves. So im not holding my breath waiting for you to catch up.

InChrist

Free4ever
No sir.

He never stated such a word.

The gospels were written by unknown authors, far removed from Jesus life.

And that is your ONLY source here.

I'm not even going to get into this with someone who does not realize that the gospels a testimony preserved in God's word and revelation to humanity, including the words spoken by Jesus.

So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. Matthew 33-35

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There may be errors here. But it is not major enough to really change the original context.

Your right, and wrong.

You really need to look at the credibility of the source here. And most apologist will not, and refuse to learn about the real history and creation of the books themselves. So im not holding my breath waiting for you to catch up.

I think then if you know, then you know why it is written his coming will cause mourning. Why please?

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm not even going to get into this

Yes I already stated apologist refuse to learn about how the bible was created.

Some minds are shut like a steel trap

with someone who does not realize that the gospels a testimony preserved in God's word

No god has ever written a word. period.

The only thing preserved here, are important scriptures that were compiled and or copied from previous sources, by unknown authors, from a different community then Jesus, written decades after the events, by another culture then Jesus belonged too!

Far removed from any actual event.

This is not up for debate, it is the reality here you need to deal with.

Knowledge and education will not change your faith, it will give you a better appreciation for the lessons and morals in the text.

including the words spoken by Jesus

The reality is we can only guess, maybe Q and or Thomas is a good start. But these may only reflect Galilean parables which would include all of John the Baptist teachings as well since Jesus took over his movement and teachings.

outhouse

Atheistically
I think then if you know, then you know why it is written his coming will cause mourning. Why please?

What?

There is no one coming in my opinion. It is mythology by people who lived mythology through ignorance.

Why continue to keep making ancient men's mistakes?

outhouse

Atheistically
So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. Matthew 33-35

:biglaugh:

Thank you for helping me.

Now please pervert the word "generation" to mean more then the current lifetime that he would return too. This states the event would happen within a lifetime, as I stated earlier.

They were no more prophetic then we are, actually they were less prophetic because they no so little about the natural world around them.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What?

There is no one coming in my opinion. It is mythology by people who lived mythology through ignorance.

Why continue to keep making ancient men's mistakes?

I am not decided on it either. But it is written and I ask you why you think someone would write that? It doesn't make sense. You told the other poster "you are right and wrong". What was he right about?

outhouse

Atheistically
I am not decided on it either. But it is written and I ask you why you think someone would write that?

Because these people believed in mythology and the supernatural as controlling every aspect of their lives, based on ignorance.

They had no idea what a conscious mind was, they literally thought good and evil forces made them think what they thought.

They had no concept of free will.

It doesn't make sense

I understand you do not fully understand what is going on here.

Without the cultural and physical anthropology of the time period and culture that wrote these books, you are literally blind to the scripture in front of you.

You told the other poster "you are right and wrong". What was he right about?

There were translation errors of every kind and shape, but they were not major enough to change the context of what was written.

Your problem is that you blame later interpreters, when the errors you notice came from the unknown authors themselves.

outhouse

Atheistically
Here is an example of being lost, do you understand the parable of the mustard seed?

WITHOUT looking it up?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Both. Do you understand the meaning of the mustard seed?

The mustard seed grows into a large bushy plant that the birds land on. Small birds. It is about small birds. :D Not big scary birds.

It means birds are lighter than they appear.

outhouse

Atheistically
The mustard seed grows into a large bushy plant that the birds land on. Small birds. It is about small birds. :D Not big scary birds.

It means birds are lighter than they appear.

No your wrong, in the context used. The parable makes no sense at all, that way.

If you knew how the ancient people thought in Galilean villages, you would know.

Want too look it up now? or keep running blind?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No your wrong, in the context used. The parable makes no sense at all, that way.

If you knew how the ancient people thought in Galilean villages, you would know.

Want too look it up now? or keep running blind?

Do you think there is only one explanation? Really?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
31 He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”
WHAT context? LOL