• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saddam is gone!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
GeneCosta said:
I am disgusted by people rejoicing in any death

I agree. Whether or not Saddam deserved a hanging, it is still a loss of life, and rejoicing seems...improper.

It won't bring back the thousands of lives he took. Some may take his death as the end of a difficult era, and to them it may be cause for celebration. But there are people here in America and elsewhere who are celebrating - why? Political reasons?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
It saddens me that people have done exactly what he wished for them to do: Make him a martyr.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Guitar's Cry said:
But there are people here in America and elsewhere who are celebrating - why? Political reasons?
Many of the people you see celebrating had family members killed by Saddam.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So far, It's taken about 4,000 American lives and over a half trillion dollars to hang him. That's not counting British lives and wealth. And it's not counting Iraqi lives and wealth.

What a deal.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
-mod note-

This is in the discussion section of the forums; if you'd like to debate capital punishment or Saddam's death, please make another thread.

Carry on! :)

-mod-

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
Of course, he now thinks of himself as a martyr. :rolleyes:

Uh, as a theist, I believe that by now he thinks: Oh, ****!

And if I were an atheist, I would believe he was thinking: <null>

:D

Hope

Princesinha
I see no reason to feel sorry for Saddam. I'm sure he would only spit in the face of anyone who dared to pity him. I'm sad, yes....sad that he turned out the way he did. He had many a chance to turn from his evil ways, but he chose not to. Had he shown even an ounce of remorse for the horrendous things he did, I might feel more compassion for him.

I'm glad he's gone.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
silvermoon383 said:
Minutes before 6 AM Saturday Iraqi time (10 PM Friday EST), Saddam Hussein was hung to death.
And so a tragicomic farce of a trial that helped erode the arguments and aims of the coalition to restore a just legal system as the basis of the new Iraqi regime ends.

Though the outcome could never have been conceivably in doubt, and originally I was hopeful for the initiative; the inadequacy of the Iraqi courts to handle a case of this magnitude, the curtailment and denial of legal freedoms recently granted under the new constitution and frequent government posturing on the outcome of the trial have rendered it as little more then a drab failure, to say the least.

An (admittedly understandable) instant or two of euphoria at this resultant blood letting will not change a fig for the daily lives of the vast majority of Iraqi people, nor can it compare to the opportunities squandered to present a poignant and powerful reinforcement of the reasons given for the continuing occupation and rebuilding of Iraq.

Sadly, this trial has not helped the new government to distance itself from the tyranny of Saddam's rule; far from it, it has highlighted that the current government in Baghdad's commitment to human rights and the rule of law remains shallow and that, nearly four years on, in many aspects Iraq and its administration are still no better off.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Booko said:
Uh, as a theist, I believe that by now he thinks: Oh, ****!

And if I were an atheist, I would believe he was thinking: <null>
What I meant more distinctly is that he declared himself a martyr a few days ago. As an agnostic, I believe he's thinking right now, "Wow, I blew it big time." for I do think our soul lives on. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The world is better off without him. All the same, there's something sickening about a killing. Any killing.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Nordicßearskin said:
Though the outcome could never have been conceivably in doubt, and originally I was hopeful for the initiative; the inadequacy of the Iraqi courts to handle a case of this magnitude, the curtailment and denial of legal freedoms recently granted under the new constitution and frequent government posturing on the outcome of the trial have rendered it as little more then a drab failure, to say the least.

I always thought that, if ever there were an argument for a change of venue, a trial for Saddam in Iraq was surely a prime example.

Booko

Deviled Hen
GeneCosta said:
CNN reported that families were dancing over his body.

This already went too far. :no:

Well, it certainly doesn't add to the world's good karma, or, if you prefer, it doesn't exactly appeal to the better angels of our nature.

standing_alone

GeneCosta said:
CNN reported that families were dancing over his body.

This already went too far. :no:

I agree. While I don't find it regrettable that he's dead and though strongly opposed to the death penalty, can see it as a "just" end for him, I do find the fact that people show that much outward joy over another human being's death quite shameful. Kind of makes you wonder how much better we are? Sure, we may have not physically killed another human being, but to get that much satisfaction and joy from a killing... Makes me wonder sometimes...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Get this: A bimbo talk show host just said that the fact Iraqis were happy to see Saddam gone is proof they want our troops in their country.

Are there any remaining objections to my theory that bimbo talk show hosts are genetically modified corn starch?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:
Get this: A bimbo talk show host just said that the fact Iraqis were happy to see Saddam gone is proof they want our troops in their country.

Do they leap through little fiery hoops along with their other leaps of the logic sort?

I must be really jaded by now...I can barely muster a giggle over this one. :eek:

Sunstone said:
Are there any remaining objections to my theory that bimbo talk show hosts are genetically modified corn starch?
I'm allergic to corn, so keep your starch to yourself! And besides, you're off topic! :slap:

<digs for Ms. Love Doll's cellphone # in order to distract Sunstone from further offenses...>

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Buttercup said:
You should be feeling more sorry for the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people he tortured and killed. Watch the news tonight...it will remind you. :)

Not if Anderson Cooper has anything to do with it. He is making me want to retch. He uses this as a platform to spout anti American propaganda at every chance, and on CNN he has many people to help him out. The only one who is telling it like it is, is an Iraqi national, who is not backing down, and is pointing out that Saddam is responsible for the death of 2 MILLION Iraqi's.

Cooper can't go 3 sentences without pointing out that people are still dying in Iraq, and even had the gall to ask this gentleman (the Iraqi mentioned above, whose name I can neither type nor pronounce) whether the Iraqi people are better off now, rather than under Saddam's rule. The Iraqi Ambassador very quickly stated "I can assure you that nobody who said that ever lived in Saddam's Iraq."

Say what you want about WMD's, ties, or not, with al Quaeda, etc. . . . but there can be little doubt that the world is better off without Saddam Hussein in charge of Iraq.

B.

Booko

Deviled Hen
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Cooper can't go 3 sentences without pointing out that people are still dying in Iraq, and even had the gall to ask this gentleman (the Iraqi mentioned above, whose name I can neither type nor pronounce) whether the Iraqi people are better off now, rather than under Saddam's rule. The Iraqi Ambassador very quickly stated "I can assure you that nobody who said that ever lived in Saddam's Iraq."

Yeah, it was right after that I changed channels. I do have to go to sleep sometime tonight, and irritants are not conducive to sleep. :sarcastic

. . but there can be little doubt that the world is better off without Saddam Hussein in charge of Iraq.

I won't argue with this. :no: