• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same Sex Marriage

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think we are all wrong, and all correct. I think the core beliefs of all religions are basically correct. Be a good person, love your neighbor, etc. But all the surrounding interpretation and trappings are wrong.

Clear as the Mississippi? :cool:
No, I'm right there with you, though I approach it from a different angle.

When I say all religions are wrong, I mean the theologies. I would consider what you describe to be the attendant philosophies, or maybe lifestyles. They're not "right" so much as "benevolent." But now I'm being picky. :D

OTOH, I believe that virtually all the theologies get something right. Trying to figure out which part is where it gets messy.

Trey of Diamonds

OTOH, I believe that virtually all the theologies get something right. Trying to figure out which part is where it gets messy.

Some of those things are pretty easy though. The way to spot them is in comparitive religion. Those notions that exist in all religions are the ones that are most likely correct.

Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful
~ Buddhism

What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. That is the entire Law: all rest is commentary.
~ Judaism

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
~ Christianity

No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.
~ Islam

Blessed is he who preferreth his brother before himself.
~ Baha'i Faith

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Some of those things are pretty easy though. The way to spot them is in comparitive religion. Those notions that exist in all religions are the ones that are most likely correct.

Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful
~ Buddhism

What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. That is the entire Law: all rest is commentary.
~ Judaism

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
~ Christianity

No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.
~ Islam

Blessed is he who preferreth his brother before himself.
~ Baha'i Faith
Did you miss the part where I said that's not what I'm talking about? :p

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
As a Muslim:
Having sex outside of marriage is a sin.
Fornication is a sin.
Adultery is a sin.
Homosexuality is a sin.
Same sex marriage is a sin.

Christian Pilgrim

As a Muslim:
Having sex outside of marriage is a sin.
Fornication is a sin.
Adultery is a sin.
Homosexuality is a sin.
Same sex marriage is a sin.

I'm curious, does the Quran actually state that same sex marriage is a sin? I don't believe the Holy Bible states that same sex marriage is a sin.

Trey of Diamonds

I'm curious, does the Quran actually state that same sex marriage is a sin? I don't believe the Holy Bible states that same sex marriage is a sin.

Islam recognises the Old Testament as a holy book so all the stuff Christians are spouting are used by them as well. Not sure if the Quran speaks of it specifically.

Trey of Diamonds

What are the Old Testament verses that you say Christians are spouting?

There are 12, but I don't have them on the tip of my tongue. The big one that comes up all the time is about Sodom of course. Maybe someone else knows them by heart, otherwise I'll see what I can dig up when I have the time.

Christian Pilgrim

There are 12, but I don't have them on the tip of my tongue. The big one that comes up all the time is about Sodom of course. Maybe someone else knows them by heart, otherwise I'll see what I can dig up when I have the time.

What about the verses on Sodom? There is nothing in the Bible which teaches that being born gay or a lesbian is a sin. There's nothing in the Bible which speaks for or against same sex marriage.

RomCat

The terms "same-sex marriage" and "gay marriage"
are oxymorons. There is no such thing. Never has
been and never will be.

Trey of Diamonds

Check out this link. Some very good info.

What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality

An Excerpt

In fact, the Bible accepts sexual practices that we condemn and condemns sexual practices that we accept. Lots of them! Here are a few examples.
  • DEUTERONOMY 22:13-21
    If it is discovered that a bride is not a virgin, the Bible demands that she be executed by stoning immediately.
  • DEUTERONOMY 22:22
    If a married person has sex with someone else's husband or wife, the Bible commands that both adulterers be stoned to death.
  • MARK 10:1-12
    Divorce is strictly forbidden in both Testaments, as is remarriage of anyone who has been divorced.
  • LEVITICUS 18:19
    The Bible forbids a married couple from having sexual intercourse during a woman's period. If they disobey, both shall be executed.
  • MARK 12:18-27
    If a man dies childless, his widow is ordered by biblical law to have intercourse with each of his brothers in turn until she bears her deceased husband a male heir.
  • DEUTERONOMY 25:11-12
    If a man gets into a fight with another man and his wife seeks to rescue her husband by grabbing the enemy's genitals, her hand shall be cut off and no pity shall be shown her.
I'm certain you don't agree with these teachings from the Bible about sex. And you shouldn't. The list goes on: The Bible says clearly that sex with a prostitute is acceptable for the husband but not for the wife. Polygamy (more than one wife) is acceptable, as is a king's having many concubines. (Solomon, the wisest king of all, had 1,000 concubines.) Slavery and sex with slaves, marriage of girls aged 11-13, and treatment of women as property are all accepted practices in the Scriptures. On the other hand, there are strict prohibitions against interracial marriage, birth control, discussing or even naming a sexual organ, and seeing one's parents nude.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
well like with Catholics,for instance, they believe that they have to be good and do good things and confess their wrongs to get to heaven.
But Christianity believes that our works can never be good enough.
one of them has to be right.
Umm... Catholics are Christians, and they don't say that works are all that are needed. The Catholics place high value on faith, too.

And I've heard several Protestant preachers say that even though works won't save you, good works are an outward sign of Christ's saving grace working through you. IOW, you aren't saved by good works, but if you're saved, you'll do good works.

The one about Sodom I really don't get. I think it's a near-psychopathic mindset that says the problem with attempted same-sex gang rape is the same-sex part and not the gang-rape part.

been and never will be.
I take it you've never been to Canada. ;)

Christian Pilgrim

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Check out this link. Some very good info.

What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality

An Excerpt
That's not really a fair interpretation of Mark 12.

18Then the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 19"Teacher," they said, "Moses wrote for us that if a man's brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and have children for his brother. 20Now there were seven brothers. The first one married and died without leaving any children. 21The second one married the widow, but he also died, leaving no child. It was the same with the third. 22In fact, none of the seven left any children. Last of all, the woman died too. 23At the resurrection[c] whose wife will she be, since the seven were married to her?"

I'm not so hot about the idea of making a widow marry her dead husband's brother, but it's still not quite what that comment suggested.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
been and never will be.
That's funny we First Nations peoples here in America had no problem with it.

wa:do