• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexist Tropes In Video Games

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Thought provoking, the medium specific experience characteristics are indeed underutilized. TY for the link

The ability to address complexity is indeed one of the more interesting issues with video games (along with more sustained medium use and a user driven experience) providing gaming experiences that portray cliche or limited complexity issues / actors might indeed be something that arises due to our failure to leverage the strengths of the medium.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I wonder why is it so hard to read :shrug: or see. A lot of examples have been posted. There are more bare chested males in videogames showing their pecs than bare chested females in videogames showing their boobs

If you think pecs arent sexual, I have a LOT of friend who would love to have a word with you, both straight and bi.

Remember who you're talking to? :p

Pecs haven't been sexualized in the vast majority of video games, MM.

Where is the joke? By all means lets have that! If it has an audience and will generate jobs, why the heck not?

I am not at all arguing against it, but for it to happen someone has to actually try to do it. Could be anyone with a bit of capital :shrug:

I'm not a video game designer nor an investor. I'm arguing against the point that sexualizing men already happens. It doesn't.

WyattDerp

"But men are sexually objectified too!" | A Division by Zer0

“But men are sexually objectified too. They are all look like walking tanks, with bulging muscles.” they will retort in smug indignation. You know the drill.

These people just are not able to understand that male protagonists in these media are not a female sexual fantasy, but rather a male power fantasy. I.e. such presentation of the male gender is tailored to a male audience.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Seems it's mostly the ridiculous outfits these days. What, we're going to battle? I'd better put some armor on my tits!

Heh, it is rather silly how in a lot of medieval fantasy themed games that have female characters with armor that's seems more designed to reveal the body rather than to protect the body. Not really practical for battle, but wait, the 'AC' is magically the same as it is for a male character who's armor leaves nothing visible.

It's all about marketing and enticing who they believe to be their target audience (the male, pimply faced teenage demographic) into buying their product.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
What exactly would count as sexualized pecs?

Full exposure of strong pecs?

How about a guy who is shirtless standing and posing, flexing for the camera, while either looking like he's dreaming, sleeping, or otherwise immobilized? How about camera angles that pan around his pecs showing just how gorgeous, big, strong, and delicious they look?

Nudity does not automatically mean sex. I thought everybody knew that. ;)

Koldo

Outstanding Member
How about a guy who is shirtless standing and posing, flexing for the camera, while either looking like he's dreaming, sleeping, or otherwise immobilized? How about camera angles that pan around his pecs showing just how gorgeous, big, strong, and delicious they look?

Next time a game shows a shirtless girl standing and posing, flexing for the camera, while either looking like she's dreaming, sleeping, or otherwise immobilized, please send me a message. I will...hm...check it out.

Nudity does not automatically mean sex. I thought everybody knew that. ;)

Sure.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Next time a game shows a shirtless girl standing and posing, flexing for the camera, while either looking like she's dreaming, sleeping, or otherwise immobilized, please send me a message. I will...hm...check it out.

LOL you haven't seen women being sexualized in video games? That's funny.