• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the oneness of humanity be taught in all schools worldwide

RestlessSoul

Yes at school we were taught that Jews were evil and never to befriend them. We were told aboriginals were drunkards and lesser people. Nothing about Muslims until later though. I was a Catholic then. I consider it wrong to have taught me those things. Christ taught to love all. In school assembly hundreds of children. “Jews are evil”. No need for it.

I went to a Catholic school in England in the 1960s, and I wasn’t taught any of that. I’m pretty sure it would have been the end of any teacher’s career even then (it certainly would be now) to teach that Jews or other minority groups were evil.

RestlessSoul

I went Edinburgh in 2012 and in one encounter was told that black people are car thieves and was assumed to not know my father and in another was assumed to have been brought up by my single unmarried mother with a string of wannabe inadequate father figures. All knowing nothing about me. That's all the racism to fit into a 6-hour period. Y'all are aren't as bad as we are in the states, but black people don't face racism in the UK... Please.

PS I had a great time otherwise

They probably thought you were from Liverpool

ppp

It’s called humour. I assumed you’d realise that, but that’s the problem with assumptions…
"Can't take a joke" is the cliched excuse of people called out for indulging racist and sexist behavior. By all means, blame me for not being amused by your thoughtlessness.

RestlessSoul

"Can't take a joke" is the cliched excuse of people called out for indulging racist and sexist behavior. By all means, blame me for not being amused by your thoughtlessness.

I’m not blaming you for anything. It wasn’t my intention to offend, but as it seems you are offended, I apologise for that.

Altfish

Veteran Member
That may be fine for some but there are wars going on currently fuelled by prejudice and religious hatred. it’s no use having a truce only for the next generation to be prepared to wage another war. The education system needs to be changed as it is the root cause of ongoing hatred.
They teach Maths at school, but still some people can't add up. Schools are fine, the education system is not too bad ... children learn much hatred from their parents and piers.

Audie

Veteran Member
Working on healthy diversity ;)

Not "my group is best/ my beliefs are the only truth" - but instead my group is "good" as are others. Healthy community for all, not possessive/reactive community.

Groups can be compared to family/marriage. There are healthy marriages - and unhealthy possessive/jealous/codependent marriages/groups lol. Diversity/groups/marriages are great if not defensive/insecure etc.

No popes/dictators/crazy power-hungry controlling leaders - groups that are "by the people" with internal checks/balances, and understand other groups - interact respectfully/understand others too.
How much of what sort of diversity isnt ever
specified or even mentioned.

So I believe all schools in the world from infancy should have included in their course the subject of the oneness and equality of all humanity and that we all belong to one human family there being NO superior race, religion, nationality or group of people. Thank you. If you agree please try and teach this concept in your school.
If people would be equal, they would all have the freedom to have own opinions. Forcing people to think everything is the same, is in my opinion wrong. This is why I think it would be better to teach people math, reading and writing and then let them be free to have own opinions. It is enough, if murder, stealing and lying are not accepted.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
The world would probably be a utopia if it were full of philosophers. Maybe.

Audie

Veteran Member
If people would be equal, they would all have the freedom to have own opinions. Forcing people to think everything is the same, is in my opinion wrong. This is why I think it would be better to teach people math, reading and writing and then let them be free to have own opinions. It is enough, if murder, stealing and lying are not accepted.
Everyone is free to have their own opinion.
Voicing it or acting on said opinions is
another matter.
Nobody can be forced to think one way or another.

Theres a lot more than "murder, steal, lie"
thats undesiresble. But none of those are
" opinions".

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Speaking of religious prejudice;
'Know thou for a certainty that whoso disbelieveth in God is neither trustworthy nor truthful. This, indeed, is the truth, the undoubted truth.'
Source: Bahá'í Reference Library - The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, Pages 185-241
AHEM!
In my previous studies, atheists were the most hated in Baha'i literature. At one time I had a short list of all the derogatory terms used for non-Bahai. Words like deaf, blind, diseased, etc.

Audie

Veteran Member
In my previous studies, atheists were the most hated in Baha'i literature. At one time I had a short list of all the derogatory terms used for non-Bahai. Words like deaf, blind, diseased, etc.
For them, of all groups, to claim theirs
is the way to world peace and harmony
goes well past ironic and deep into the
sinister.