• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

should women rule the world?

WyattDerp

Most likely, I think. Although there are so very few true matriarchal cultures left in the world that surprisingly little is actually known about how they function.

Well, elephants do it. And they're not stupid :) But they're elephants, not people, so I am not sure it can be transferred ^^ (btw when I say "stupid" I guess I more mean active delusion than lack of cleverness; I've never seen a stupid blade of grass for example)

I would accept matriarchy as a stepping stone so to speak.. I see more possibilities for improvement and growth from there as a starting point. But we're already hopefully approaching a mix, yeah? So bleh to both :D

In my experience, and from seeing young people and grown ups interact, we tend to naturally accept "the other gender" (not just that, but also that) as equals before society pushes us into roles. I remember having lots of female best friends and never thinking twice about it. All that crap started in the teens from what I can tell, then what was natural and fun suddenly became more complicated and sometimes annoying. Maybe puberty does that, maybe society and "roles", maybe both. But I sure miss that simplicity and get the warm fuzzies whenever I see mixed groups of kids or young people being perfect peers. Nobody should rule, all should be an adventure and decided by those who go adventuring.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Again, my apologies, I thought it was obvious I was talking tongue in cheeck when I cited the onion o.o

You should be ashamed of yourself for dragging a reputable news source through the mud like that. Imagine! Thinking the Onion is a humor rag. How absurd!

Alceste

Vagabond

Interesting reading. Thanks! :)

Queen Mary I and Queen Elizabeth I could both be considered tyrannical. General Moa's wife, Jiang Qing, who was also a member of the "Gang of Four,"could be considered a dictator. Indira Gandhi took on a dictator-like reign during India's "state of emergency." And one cannot forget Countess Elizabeth Bathory de Ecsed.

After reading about these women alone, the least troubling was Indira Gandhi

Out of curiosity, what did Mary and Elizabeth I do that could be considered tyrannical? Again, an honest question. We didn't learn any history with women in it when I was at school, and I haven't entirely bridged that gap in my knowledge since.

Edit: I agree with you about Jiang Qing - she was awful, but I'd rather leave out the wives of awful male rulers in this discussion.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, elephants do it. And they're not stupid :) But they're elephants, not people, so I am not sure it can be transferred ^^ (btw when I say "stupid" I guess I more mean active delusion than lack of cleverness; I've never seen a stupid blade of grass for example)

I would accept matriarchy as a stepping stone so to speak.. I see more possibilities for improvement and growth from there as a starting point. But we're already hopefully approaching a mix, yeah? So bleh to both :D

In my experience, and from seeing young people and grown ups interact, we tend to naturally accept "the other gender" (not just that, but also that) as equals before society pushes us into roles. I remember having lots of female best friends and never thinking twice about it. All that crap started in the teens from what I can tell, then what was natural and fun suddenly became more complicated and sometimes annoying. Maybe puberty does that, maybe society and "roles", maybe both. But I sure miss that simplicity and get the warm fuzzies whenever I see mixed groups of kids or young people being perfect peers. Nobody should rule, all should be an adventure and decided by those who go adventuring.

The simplest cultures -- hunter gatherers -- have a variety of government styles, but at least a few of the historical ones have been more or less democracies with important governing roles for both men and women. If I recall, some bands of the Bushmen of Southern Africa are that way, for instance.

Alceste

Vagabond
By the way, I'd appreciate links and reasoning rather than names. As I said, I don't know much women's history, so don't assume I'm just going to know who countess Elizabeth de whatchamacallit was or what was wrong with her.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I abhor matriarchy as much as I do patriarchy. I realize it's a fictional novel, but "The Wicker Man" gave me chills with it's implications of how corrupted, frightening, and tyrannical all-female rule can be.

If women ruled the entire world, it would be very easy to see males as nothing more than sperm-filled drones working hard labor for the women in charge.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Hi! What did you think of Prime Minister Thatcher? We may knock her decisions now (don't we always knock 'em all?) but I reckon she was one fine leader. What guts.

The poll tax was a mistake, I think, but mistakes can often be reversed, once discovered.

I think she wanted a peerage and got it,i think that she was a good speaker but i also think she was something from a bygone era and a good exponent of spin,she was like Richard II was to the Peasants revolt of 1381 in the way she dealt with the Miners strike and personally i don't think Britain has had a fine leader since Elizabeth I.

Alceste

Vagabond
The simplest cultures -- hunter gatherers -- have a variety of government styles, but at least a few of the historical ones have been more or less democracies with important governing roles for both men and women. If I recall, some bands of the Bushmen of Southern Africa are that way, for instance.

Some of the pre-colonial cultures here were matriarchal in that clan affiliation and property passed from mother to daughter and men would join the clan of their spouse. Men still had leadership roles though, especially over man stuff like fighting the neighbours. Apparently they had to have something to do or they got restless and unmanageable. :D

Alceste

Vagabond
I abhor matriarchy as much as I do patriarchy. I realize it's a fictional novel, but "The Wicker Man" gave me chills with it's implications of how corrupted, frightening, and tyrannical all-female rule can be.

If women ruled the entire world, it would be very easy to see males as nothing more than sperm-filled drones working hard labor for the women in charge.

Do you think that if by pure chance women were to rise to power in most countries in the world, it would automatically become a matriarchal culture?

I think every top tier leader in Denmark is a woman at this moment, but I don't think it has made Denmark a matriarchy. In an equal society, there would be pretty even odds of that happening, I expect.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you think that if by pure chance women were to rise to power in most countries in the world, it would automatically become a matriarchal culture?

I think every top tier leader in Denmark is a woman at this moment, but I don't think it has made Denmark a matriarchy. In an equal society, there would be pretty even odds of that happening, I expect.

Under the right conditions, and given enough time, I think many Western societies could become matriarchies. Maybe not completely so, but significantly so.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Oh I don't believe Denmark turning into a matriarchy just because women are mostly in charge. Just like I don't believe if the U.S. had an all-female Supreme Court, a female President and Vice President, and a female Speaker of the House would turn this country into a matriarchy. But if women did rule in all facets of power, whether it's familial, religious, local and state governments....and if women were to rule the world by default status alone....that's what I'd consider a matriarchy. And it's a position I just can't seem to stomach.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'd like to emphasize, once again, that we don't really know how matriarchies would operate in practice. We have so few real examples today. And, as at least one anthropologist pointed out, it might be a mistake to think of them as like patriarchies but with a different gender in charge. They might be quite different from patriarchies in many ways, not just that one way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....if women did rule in all facets of power, whether it's familial, religious, local and state governments....and if women were to rule the world by default status alone....that's what I'd consider a matriarchy.
Hmmm....if men don't rule "in all facets of power, whether it's familial, religious,
local and state governments", then does that mean we have no patriarchy here?

(And yes, I'm asking this question just to be a jerk.)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Hmmm....if men don't rule "in all facets of power, whether it's familial, religious,
local and state governments", then does that mean we have no patriarchy here?

(And yes, I'm asking this question just to be a jerk.)

We have a lesser degree of patriarchy, but it's evident that it still exists. It's more egalitarian than in years past, but men still hold the majority of leadership positions of power and influence.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I think what prevented Clinton, more than anything else, from getting the presidential nod was her vote for the Iraq War -- which was an issue among Democratic primary voters. By now, though, they've probably forgiven her.

Obviously i'm an outsider looking in,i just think that a female American President is a massive step for some people to consider.