• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

should women rule the world?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
We have a lesser degree of patriarchy, but it's evident that it still exists. It's more egalitarian than in years past, but men still hold the majority of leadership positions of power and influence.

Yeah, but women still dominate domestic cookery. How can you have a true patriarchy when women still dominate domestic cookery? It just doesn't make sense! :confused:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'd like to emphasize, once again, that we don't really know how matriarchies would operate in practice. We have so few real examples today. And, as at least one anthropologist pointed out, it might be a mistake to think of them as like patriarchies but with a different gender in charge. They might be quite different from patriarchies in many ways, not just that one way.

True. But I'd prefer not to take that risk.

Whites may be a minority in a generation in the U.S. (at least that's what I'd heard lol). Should we question whether or not Hispanic Americans as a majority race would be better in leadership across the board?

Rhetorical question, that it is. :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Obviously i'm an outsider looking in,i just think that a female American President is a massive step for some people to consider.
It is nowhere near as massive as an Afro-American President names Barack Hussein Obama. And, I think it's reasonable to think that had Obama not run for his first term we would be talking about President Hillary Clinton.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It is nowhere near as massive as an Afro-American President names Barack Hussein Obama. And, I think it's reasonable to think that had Obama not run for his first term we would be talking about President Hillary Clinton.

I think it would have been a momentus occasion,not just for Hilary Clinton,i think a Woman in the worlds top job would reach out to Women in far less favourable circumstances throughout the world,i agree though that what Obama achieved was "massive".

Alceste

Vagabond
In an ideal world, I think power would be about equally shared between the sexes. Do you see that happening?

I think purposeful equal power sharing might not be possible to attain. By that I mean making sure there is a roughly equal proportion of men and women leaders in every industry and level of government. I do think that if we eliminate discriminatory practices that hinder the progress of women, men and women will still generally be drawn to different jobs, but the overall effect would be pretty egalitarian.

I happen to think women are particularly well equipped for political leadership, since it requires effective communication and negotiation skills - something we tend to excel at. I think that may partly explain why women are making such leaps in western countries. I expect them to surpass men in political leadership specifically, but probably not in private sector industries like banking, science and technology.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I disagree with the Iranian regime about almost everything imaginable but the one thing that they did which I admire was to rename the street on which the British embassy was located n their country 'Bobby Sands Road' with the express intention of ticking off Maggie.
I still appreciate that gesture.

I went to Belfast in 2004, and the one thing I wanted to do was photograph the mural to Bobby Sands in the Falls Road, round the corner from the Co-op. I got the picture, and still have it to this day.

Rakhel

Queen Mary I and Queen Elizabeth I could both be considered tyrannical concerning their determination to convert their country to their respected religions, Catholicism and Protestant, respectively.
General Moa's wife, Jiang Qing, who was also a member of the "Gang of Four,"could be considered a dictator. Indira Gandhi took on a dictator-like reign during India's "state of emergency." Indira Gandhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And one cannot forget Elizabeth Báthory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

After reading about these women alone, the least troubling was Indira Gandhi
links added

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
links added

“I (Elizabeth) never had any meaning or intent that (my) subjects should be troubled or molested by examination or inquisition in any matter either of their faith or for that matters of ceremonies, as long as they shall in their outward conversation show themselves quiet and not manifestly repugnant to the laws of the realm.”

I think Elizabeth was an amazing woman,i think the Catholic and Protestant groups surrounding her were tyrannical,i don't think the same could be said of her though,she was very well educated and her curriculum included subjects that are familiar now but in the context of the time unknown to the majority of the population of the world,her history is quite amazing and the added title of Gloriana speaks volumes.

Wherenextcolumbus

I also think it may of been a little different if both of his parents were African American. I think when you're mixed you're generally more accepted, which is why I find there are social tensions between African Americans/Britons/Caribbean etc and ones who are mixed as well as interracial relationships.