• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solution to homosexuals is by government executions according to Pastor.

Clizby Wampuscat

In biological terms, it would be female/male, gonadally. But it's far more complex than that, because the sexual organs don't always develop the same and there are hormonal and genetic aspects to sex that may be different. Even brain structure plays a part. But in social terms, when referring to gender, it depends on how they present and what they identify as. Consider what I had stated before: without checking a person's genitals, performing a genetic or hormonal test, you just don't know (and I do recognize that you stated you would use their preferred terms). A person could have all the biological markers of male or female, or a mix of these (genetically female but gonadally and hormonally male), but present socially as different.

One of the things about biology as a science is, it's messy. It's not quite as black and white as other sciences.
You are not answering my question as asked. You can answer the question even though there are more options. My question has nothing to do with how I know anything.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
You are not answering my question as asked. You can answer the question even though there are more options. My question has nothing to do with how I know anything.

But doesn't it? You likely cannot 100% define the biological sex of a person, so you, the everyday person not in the business of scientifically cataloging humans according to sex characteristics are not likely going to need to attach pronouns to those characteristics. However, you do socially interact with people, so the social aspects of attaching pronouns to gender identity, a social construction, is where we are concerned.

Clizby Wampuscat

But doesn't it? You likely cannot 100% define the biological sex of a person, so you, the everyday person not in the business of scientifically cataloging humans according to sex characteristics are not likely going to need to attach pronouns to those characteristics. However, you do socially interact with people, so the social aspects of attaching pronouns to gender identity, a social construction, is where we are concerned.
So what, this has nothing to do with my question. How many times do I have to say I call people what they want to be called. If I assume and I am wrong I correct myself. Does it make sense to have a word that describes how people were born? I think it does. This is all I am asking. What is the correct word for that if the words man and woman no longer are used to describe how people were born biologically?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So what, this has nothing to do with my question. How many times do I have to say I call people what they want to be called. If I assume and I am wrong I correct myself. Does it make sense to have a word that describes how people were born? I think it does. This is all I am asking. What is the correct word for that if the words man and woman no longer are used to describe how people were born biologically?
If you are unsure it never hurts to politely ask what their preferred pronouns are. Guessing will cause you to offend someone sooner or later.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

I don't understand how my answer didn't suffice...

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I think it looks funny how at the same time people claim that there are no girl or boy thing,

I haven't seen a single person make that claim? So either you made up a facile straw man or...nope I've got nothing else, you made it up didn't you.

but still some people could "change their gender".
There is no "still" about it, gender identity and biological sex are not necessarily the same thing. As has been explained to you exhaustively, and what's funny is people trying to pretend they don't understand such a simple concept.

I was trying to see can someone here clarify the situation that looks extremely paradoxical.

It has been explained, and here again, biological sex and gender identity are not the same thing, there is no paradox.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I think it is more like interesting paradox, how can one identify as something that is arbitrary.

Arbitrarily.

But, clearly it is too difficult paradox, so we can move on to more important issues.

There is paradox, and it couldn't be simpler. You are free to move onto any discussion you might find less taxingly complex of course.

samtonga43

If you are unsure it never hurts to politely ask what their preferred pronouns are. Guessing will cause you to offend someone sooner or later.
It never hurts? I disagree; I think it could hurt to ask someone, "What are your preferred pronouns?" It could cause offence.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
It becomes meaningless if anyone can define it anyway they want.

Straw man fallacy, since people are not defining anything "anyway they want", but are being very specific about what pronouns apply and when and why they apply, though I suspect you know this already, but it's relatively new and you just don't like it.

What if you point to a car and I call it a potato. We will not be able to communicate very we

Reduction ad absurdum fallacy, and again no one is doing this. Cars were once called automobiles, the world wasn't forced into anarchy and chaos because people started calling them cars. Words change and modify their meaning all the time, that's the nature of language.

Use what ever pronouns you want. But what does she/her mean?

Depends who your referring to. There is a long tradition of people referring to ships as she, what do you infer from that?

What is the proper term for a person with a penis or vagina?

Person.