• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solution to homosexuals is by government executions according to Pastor.

Clizby Wampuscat

A simple question that has a loaded assumption that regarding someone based on their sex is of such importance that gendered pronouns are somehow less important.
I never said this. Asking for the correct word to use is not making any assumptions, it seems like the right thing to do.. We live in a society that always must assume the worst of others. It sucks.

Clizby Wampuscat

Just because the question is simple does not mean the answer is
If I asked you what we call the ball that we use in baseball and the ball we use in basketball you would define those easily because they are different objects. Why not for people with different body parts? A man can have a vagina or a man can have a penis. So how do we differentiate the differences?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
what do you call a person with a penis or a vagina? What is the term we should use?

You've gotten at least two answers. Maybe the first was from you: biological male or female, and person. The second answer probably thwarts your purpose of finding a term that distinguishes between them.

What do I call them? Biological male and female are a good answer. What do I call them face-to-face? Whatever they prefer. How do I refer to people with a penis who are female appearing or vice versa when I want to acknowledge that they are not living as such? FTM and MTF transsexual.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It never hurts? I disagree; I think it could hurt to ask someone, "What are your preferred pronouns?" It could cause offence.
Really? How so? If it is because someone is intolerant then I do not really care. It would tend to be far less offensive than to call someone that identifies as a "she" to call her "he" than to ask what that person's pronouns are.

Reactions: ppp

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Of course. But they are not the same, correct? How do we differentiate between the differences in language. This is not a controversial subject. I will use AFAB and AMAB as suggested by JDMS.
That's not 100% accurate or knowable unless you sometimes pry into inappropriate questions you don't ask without being called rude, and it doesn't work 100% of the time when children are born.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
I never said this. Asking for the correct word to use is not making any assumptions, it seems like the right thing to do.. We live in a society that always must assume the worst of others. It sucks.

The correct word doesn't need to reference someone's sex or chromosomes, that's the underlying assumption here and I'm not assuming the worst, I'm noting that your fixation you've already brought up appears to be about someones private parts and not their lived experience and understanding of man and woman as more than those things and generally transcending them in a way

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I am not confusing gender and sex. I have repeatedly said I will call anyone whatever they want to be called. My question remains. What do we call a person with a penis or vagina?

Ah got it now, you don't think a penis or vagina is a biological indicator of sex. Now I see where you're rationale is unravelling.

A more clear example of the need for formal accurate and timely sex education in schools, is hard to imagine.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ah got it now, you don't think a penis or vagina is a biological indicator of sex. Now I see where you're rationale is unravelling.

A more clear example of the need for formal accurate and timely sex education in schools, is hard to imagine.
Hannibal.

As in Lector. Planning a very awkward dinner party.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Nope. All I wanted to know was what to call a person with a vagina or penis. I got my answer an I am happy with that. Surely you can see the value in having words for idea's right?

The point you keep missing is you'd need to learn how they prefer to be addressed long before you know which sex organs they may have, if indeed you ever get to know.

This is why several posters are explaining to you that your question was nonsensical. Yet you seem to be obsessed with getting a specific answer, when the question doesn't offer enough information, since sex organs alone do not determine gender pronouns, as has been explained.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
muichimotsu said:
A simple question that has a loaded assumption that regarding someone based on their sex is of such importance that gendered pronouns are somehow less important.

I never said this.

Read the post, take note of the word assumption, an inherent assumption need not be stated explicitly, nor did the post suggest you had done so.

Asking for the correct word to use is not making any assumptions, it seems like the right thing to do.

Yes, but asking facile question on a sensitive subject might give them the appearance of being loaded. Your question had the inherent assumption that one could know what to call someone based solely on their sex organs, when this is not the case. Like asking what do I call someone with red hair? It makes no sense.

We live in a society that always must assume the worst of others. It sucks.

Indeed, now imagine you're part of a tiny persecuted minority, whose visual appearance invites the worst kind of negative judgments from many people. Nor do I imagine for one minute that is that the sum total of what trans people suffer. In fact I find it hard to imagine the pain of gender dysphoria, but I can at least empathise with the suffering of others.

samtonga43

If someone gets offended by that they need to grow up, get over itself, and grow some thicker skin.
Let's see:
Leslie and Lesley are introduced to each other at a party. They spend some time together and then one L says to the other, "I'm going to tell my best friend how attractive you are, and how much I want to get to know you. So, which pronouns should I use? Are you 'she' or 'he'?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Let's see:
Leslie and Lesley are introduced to each other at a party. They spend some time together and then one L says to the other, "I'm going to tell my best friend how attractive you are, and how much I want to get to know you. So, which pronouns should I use? Are you 'she' or 'he'?
The last sentence is unneeded, awkward, and possibly in error.

Just ask a person what pronouns they go by. I don't tend to jump into bed with a girl on the very first night. If there is going to be a plumbing conflict I will know about it before I do any extracurricular activities.

samtonga43

The last sentence is unneeded, awkward, and possibly in error.
Just ask a person what pronouns they go by. I don't tend to jump into bed with a girl on the very first night. If there is going to be a plumbing conflict I will know about it before I do any extracurricular activities.

Ok It’s easy to change the last sentence. Let’s make it “What pronouns do you go by?”
I think, as I said above, that it could hurt to ask someone this question.

Who said anything about jumping into bed? “I want to get to know you” just means, “I want to get to know you”. You are straw-manning.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ok It’s easy to change the last sentence. Let’s make it “What pronouns do you go by?”
I think, as I said above, that it could hurt to ask someone this question.

Who said anything about jumping into bed? “I want to get to know you” just means, “I want to get to know you”. You are straw-manning.
Nope. I am was following your implication.

Please don't try that nonsense on me again.

And how would that offend someone? If someone is a bigot I really do not care all that much if I offend that person. By the way, when you do not finish your thoughts fully others have to finish them for you. That is not strawmanning, that is an indication of a flawed post by you.

Reactions: ppp

Clizby Wampuscat

You've gotten at least two answers. Maybe the first was from you: biological male or female, and person. The second answer probably thwarts your purpose of finding a term that distinguishes between them.

What do I call them? Biological male and female are a good answer. What do I call them face-to-face? Whatever they prefer. How do I refer to people with a penis who are female appearing or vice versa when I want to acknowledge that they are not living as such? FTM and MTF transsexual.
I have from some. But many want to bring gender into it and I never was talking about that.