• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some of the most interesting answers have been OFF TOPIC

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And I like to talk. But it's not really talking. It's typing. I don't love to talk. I love to type. I should probably learn how.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I realize I have not followed my own rule to reference which thread prompted an off topic reply. Sometimes a poster comes on to prove God exists and I think "that person is a Jehovah's Witness" which prompted a story to tell.

I was a Jehovah's Witness. I do not know what caused my hatred of propaganda but I hate it. So I just tell it like it is, like it or not.

It was years ago now and I was at a public pool with my kids. I have kids. A woman approached me and talked to me about philosophy. I listen politely. It can't remember how the monologue went but I think I am certain she did not mention Jesus, Jehovah, the faithful and discreet slave or the Jehovah's Witnesses. But somehow I knew....who talks about stuff like that but the Jehovah's Witnesses? So I asked her! "Are you a Jehovah's Witness?" Of course she was a JW! So I gave her a hug and that was that!

mystic64

nolonger active
Here I am again off topic again. It is a pet peeve of mine to be blamed for a thread going off topic when I am just following a thread that has already gone off topic but that's life....

It is written Adam is the first man, and it has been taken literally. But there is evidence in the fossil record that man has been on Earth longer than is possible to fit into the 6000 years that it is implied the one man Adam was living til now.

The scripture used to conclude it is 1 Corinthians 15:45 which says; So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit

I believe first is to last as the beginning of God's purpose for the Earth (Adam) is to the completion of God's purpose (Messiah). I think it is wrong to interpret first in this instance as earliest in order. So then I ask, please, where is it written that Adam is the earliest man?

Matthew 19:30 But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first

Mark 9:35 Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."

The word can mean prominent. Adam pictures Man's prominence. Is prominence good? It is not good if it does not glorify the Father.

If Adam is really not the earliest man but someone keeps insisting that he is what is that? It's lying. Who is the father of the lie?

Cool topic Savagewind :) and the framework foundation of the OP is an interesting approach to the solve/problem of "topic drift". "Could humankind have been around longer than 6000 years with the Bible as evidence for this possibility?" Maybe :) ?

The garden of Eden, according to the Bible, was back in the days when the Earth was watered by dew/mist. The last time that was true was back before the extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs, 60 to 65 million years ago. Which was also back before flowering plants (the plants of the field :) ). Now what could possibly be interesting is that if the atmosphere held a lot of moisture but very little dust, then the dew would settle out at night when things cooled off and evaporate back into the air durring the day when things warmed up and with little or no dust/dirt in the air it would not rain. Now, if a comet had hit the Earth, back in the day, and threw a lot of dust/dirt into the atmosphere, then that would have caused it to "really" rain hard because of all of the moisture in the air :) !

So if one takes into consideration Bible evidence, and geological and archaeological evidence, then it is possible that Humankind has been around a lot longer that 6000 years. Maybe even as long as 60,000,000 years :) and it is just that science has not found the evidence yet. There may have actually been a time over 60,000,000 years ago when the sons of God were walking this Earth and finding the daughters of man very doable :) .

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Off topic from this thread What would a religion without professional clergy be like?

Someone said Jehovah's Witnesses are all equal, none above another, in that religion.

Totally not true. The governing body members ALONE get to determine what God's Word means. If anyone disagrees with any of their assessments of scripture, vocalize their disagreement and persist in it, they are OUT. It will be announced in the person's congregation "so and so is no longer one of Jehovah's Witneses."

mystic64

nolonger active
Off topic from this thread What would a religion without professional clergy be like?

Someone said Jehovah's Witnesses are all equal, none above another, in that religion.

Totally not true. The governing body members ALONE get to determine what God's Word means. If anyone disagrees with any of their assessments of scripture, vocalize their disagreement and persist in it, they are OUT. It will be announced in the person's congregation "so and so is no longer one of Jehovah's Witneses."

Do the "eight slave class fellows" that are the leadership of the Jehovah Witness organization recieve a salary? If so, that would make them professional clergy because they as JW's are licensed ministers, it is just that rank and file, who are licensed ministers also, do not get paid and also have to pay for everything :) .

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do the "eight slave class fellows" that are the leadership of the Jehovah Witness organization recieve a salary? If so, that would make them professional clergy because they as JW's are licensed ministers, it is just that rank and file, who are licensed ministers also, do not get paid and also have to pay for everything :) .

Yes. They receive a small enough salary to call it "no salary"

mystic64

nolonger active
Yes. They receive a small enough salary to call it "no salary"

quote=Savagewind:
"Someone said Jehovah's Witnesses are all equal, none above another, in that religion."

Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Criticism[edit]

Critics including Raymond Franz, Edmond C. Gruss and James Penton have accused the society of being authoritarian, controlling and coercive in its dealings with Witnesses. Franz, a former Governing Body member, has claimed the Watch Tower Society's emphasis of the term "theocratic organization" to describe the authority structure of Jehovah's Witnesses, which places God at the apex of its organization, is designed to exercise control over every aspect of the lives of Jehovah's Witnesses[146] and condition them to think it is wrong for them to question anything the society publishes as truth.[147][148] The Watch Tower Society has been accused of employing techniques of mind control on Witnesses including the direction to avoid reading criticism of the organization,[149][150] frequent and tightly controlled "indoctrination" meetings, regimentation, social alienation and elaborate promises of future rewards.[151][152] Apart from life stories, the authors of all Watch Tower Society magazine articles and other publications are anonymous and correspondence from the society does not typically indicate a specific author or personal signature.[153]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithful_and_discreet_slave

Role[edit]

Watch Tower Society publications teach that Jesus uses the faithful and discreet slave "to publish information on the fulfillment of Bible prophecies and to give timely direction on the application of Bible principles in daily life"[9][10] as the only means of communicating God's messages to humans. It is referred to as God's "prophet"[11] and "channel",[12] and claims to provide "divine" direction and guidance. Jehovah's Witnesses are told their survival of Armageddon depends in part on their obedience to the slave class.[13]
Governing Body members are said to act in the role of the faithful and discreet slave class when arriving at decisions on doctrines, activities and oversight of Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide, including making appointments to positions of responsibility.[14][15][16]

Last edited:

mystic64

nolonger active
Savagewind said:
"Someone said Jehovah's Witnesses are all equal, none above another, in that religion."

Well, it doesn't sound to me that everybody is equal. And it seems that the magnificent "7" slave class fellows are the only humanbeings in today's world that have permission to represent our Lord and Savior Lord Jesus. I need to go see if there is a discussion/debate of/on the validity of the Jehovah Witness religious movement in the Christians only forum :) . This could get interesting.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I was wondering if a Christian dies and gets reborn into a Muslim family, will he be a Muslim or a Christian. I beleive that I will always be a Christian no matter what situation I am born into. If this is the case then killing Christians won't expunge Christians from the world. I think if someone wanted to get rid of Christians the easiest way woauld be to convince them to go to Heaven instead of returning to another life.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was wondering if a Christian dies and gets reborn into a Muslim family, will he be a Muslim or a Christian. I beleive that I will always be a Christian no matter what situation I am born into. If this is the case then killing Christians won't expunge Christians from the world. I think if someone wanted to get rid of Christians the easiest way woauld be to convince them to go to Heaven instead of returning to another life.

Good point! Haha

I think the world is not about "getting rid of Christains". It is about LEAVE US BE! They do not want to be made into something they are not! I do not blame them. And I don't believe Jesus said to do it. Jesus said Preach! Not MAKE. If Christians were not so busy trying to make everyone like them, the world would be a different place.

Muffled

Jesus in me
When I actually imagined my self on TV then I changed my mind. I don't want to be. Although sometimes I do consider what I might wear.

"You are never fully dressed without a smile." Annie - Brusha Brusha Brusha TV ad for Ipana toothpaste.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Good point! Haha

I think the world is not about "getting rid of Christains". It is about LEAVE US BE! They do not want to be made into something they are not! I do not blame them. And I don't believe Jesus said to do it. Jesus said Preach! Not MAKE. If Christians were not so busy trying to make everyone like them, the world would be a different place.

I think even Paul said the equivalent of "let them stew in their own juice." I believe it is ego that wants to make others be like us and I don't see any indication from Jesus that He supports egotistic behavior.

I believe there is something about making disciples but I think that only refers to people who have decided to become believers.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think even Paul said the equivalent of "let them stew in their own juice." I believe it is ego that wants to make others be like us and I don't see any indication from Jesus that He supports egotistic behavior.

I believe there is something about making disciples but I think that only refers to people who have decided to become believers.

Right! It is about making them proper disciples, not making them into disciples! GOOD! Yay!! : hamster :

Muffled

Jesus in me
Right! It is about making them proper disciples, not making them into disciples! GOOD! Yay!! : hamster :
I never had any. I had to be discipled by Jesus. Funny how the church loves to evangelize but in many cases it has fogotten to disciple believers. I am beyond being disciped by men now sice Jesus has spoiled me rotten, lol.