• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Struggling to come to terms with something I have read in the bible.

blackout

Violet.
You know what, I totally love this post, its from the same book as I found the other passage if only I'd have read on..... I bet you can already imagine how Sunday is going to go if I receive another talking to! Lets just say there is a lot more reading to be done before I return on Sunday.

Why would you even want to go to a place where people give you "talkings to" like this?
I would tell these people to get a life... and then go and get on with my own.

Go and hang out with your gay cousins instead.
Get to know them.
Ask them questions.
I'm sure they'll appreciate the open conversation.
And you will as well.

Last edited:

thesoundoftruth

Why would you even want to go to a place where people give you "talkings to" like this?

Get to know them.
Ask them questions.
And you will as well.
One would go to such a place because they have faith in god and the miracles he's done. These "talkings to" are not so much talking to but rather a view on the days scripture so its not so much a talking to as an opinion which you an I have given on this topic as it would seem. An it takes but an hour so he could go talk to is gay cousin an still make time for church and yes he should ask questions to his cousin so as to better grasp the situation from anothers point of view. It is vital to see both sides of the situaton in order to fully understand it.

blackout

Violet.
One would go to such a place because they have faith in god and the miracles he's done. These "talkings to" are not so much talking to but rather a view on the days scripture so its not so much a talking to as an opinion which you an I have given on this topic as it would seem. An it takes but an hour so he could go talk to is gay cousin an still make time for church and yes he should ask questions to his cousin so as to better grasp the situation from anothers point of view. It is vital to see both sides of the situaton in order to fully understand it.

Enlighten is clearly not happy with these "talkings to".

That was largely the point of the thread.

thesoundoftruth

Enlighten is clearly not happy with these "talkings to".

That was largely the point of the thread.
You read too much into I think or I didn't make it clear enough so either way there was a miscommmunication. These "talkings to" are the mere opinion or translation of scripture. Now by dislike the talkings to you disagreeing with the opinion by by dislikeing what the opinions are translated from is differnt cause your dislikeing written word vs. the opinion of another person which a person is fully entitled to.

blackout

Violet.
I dunno. :shrug: Go and read the whole second page of this thread.

She obviously wants to DISCUSS the matter,
or she would not have created this thread.
But she does not like others "chiding" her for not correcting the behavior of others.
Especially when she is not even sure she herself feels the behavior is wrong.

Plus they're pitting her against her cousins.

It's OBNOXIOUS.

Last edited:

thesoundoftruth

I dunno. :shrug: Go and read the whole second page of this thread.

She obviously wants to DISCUSS the matter,
or she would not have created this thread.
But she does not like others "chiding" her for not correcting the behavior of others.
Especially when she herself is not even sure she herself feels the behavior is wrong.

It's OBNOXIOUS.
I get this an being a catholic I too am supposed to believe such behavior is wrong but with my mother being a lesbian I have grown to see that there isn't anything morally wrong with being so. I believe that god being an all loving being would never allow such a group of people to be treated as they which then inturn leads me to believe that it was the opinions of those at the time of the bibles inception that created these scriptures because you can't be all loving and allow the segragation of a whole group of people. But hey that's my opinion I'v never seen anything morally wrong such as scripture states. But thats a personal decision for her to make not to be based on the opinions of others.

blackout

Violet.
I get this an being a catholic I too am supposed to believe such behavior is wrong but with my mother being a lesbian I have grown to see that there isn't anything morally wrong with being so. I believe that god being an all loving being would never allow such a group of people to be treated as they which then inturn leads me to believe that it was the opinions of those at the time of the bibles inception that created these scriptures because you can't be all loving and allow the segragation of a whole group of people. But hey that's my opinion I'v never seen anything morally wrong such as scripture states. But thats a personal decision for her to make not to be based on the opinions of others.

If that works for you.

On account of the teaching authority of the RC
I can't wrap my own mind around the divide,
but it's of little matter.

I am happy at least you trust your own eyes, heart, reason & sensabilities
when you look at your mother & her life,
over some dogmatic doctrinal authority.

Last edited:

Enlighten

Get to know them.
Ask them questions.
And you will as well.

I know it's a long thread to read through so I will spare you :D I actually gave them a "talking to" in return after the good people in this forum helped me.

I speak to my cousins regular (they live quite far from me) and I love them for who they are and wouldn't change them (or want them to change) for anything in the world.

blackout

Violet.
I know it's a long thread to read through so I will spare you :D I actually gave them a "talking to" in return after the good people in this forum helped me.

I speak to my cousins regular (they live quite far from me) and I love them for who they are and wouldn't change them (or want them to change) for anything in the world.

Good for you!

Sorry if I missed that.
It IS a long thread. :p

Mr Cheese

i must apologize to you if i give you that impression, for the message is one of correction, no of hate, for god is father and the father correct the children in love, for their own good.

By your own words you are setting yourself up as God....

that, is a SUPREME sin....

Mr Cheese

I think they appeared as males in the story.

Angels are typically seen as genderless....

however they supposedly bred with people, as you mention men were goign to rape them too...

Scripture is not clear on gender, are they neutral or hermaphrodites?

or maybe something that is both???

of course there are many "types" of angels also....

Interestingly angels are found in all the major religions, including Buddhism

but this is for a different thread

The Watchers (from Greek egrḗgoroi (ἐγρήγοροι)) or Grigori are a group of fallen angels told of in Biblical apocrypha who mated with mortal women, giving rise to a race of hybrids known as the Nephilim, who are also mentioned in Genesis 6:4. The Watchers appear in Biblical apocrypha, in the first and second books of Enoch and Jubilees. The word "Grigori" derives from the Slavonic Second Book of Enoch.
According to the Book of Enoch, the Watchers numbered a total of 200 but only their leaders are named:
And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. And these are the names of their leaders: Sêmîazâz, their leader, Arâkîba, Râmêêl, Kôkabîêl, Tâmîêl, Râmîêl, Dânêl, Êzêqêêl, Barâqîjâl, Asâêl, Armârôs, Batârêl, Anânêl, Zaqîêl, Samsâpêêl, Satarêl, Tûrêl, Jômjâêl, Sariêl. These are their chiefs of tens. (Enoch 6)

Mr Cheese

Jesus was a Jew, but he came to save the world. :angel2:

There were many types of Jews back then, unlike now.

To say Jesus was a Jew is actually grossly innacurate, as he wasnt what is called a Jew by modern standards....

but thats being persnickety

Mr Cheese

Sensible catholics know that scripture is a beginning not the end....a guide as it were

and they treat their morals accordingly....

For scripture is like a driving manual. Life is however not like a driving manual, it is no good when you have a car crash to complain that it is not in the manual...

free spirit

It is easy to let the garden of your heart to return to its natural state, our natural uncultivated state is to abandon ourselves to our fleshly pleasures, in which our fleshly lusts become the central purpose of our existence. weed in the garden seem to grow and flourish without having to care for them, but a cultivated useful plant needs work to grow to its full potential, but the reward for the work make it worth while. The same is for those that are affected by the choice of a family member or friend; if you disagree with their choice you have an enemy in the home or you loose a friend, and if you gracefully accept their choice as normal, your moral standard is tarnished; a hard choice to make, one that need the right balance of courage and compassion.

Last edited: