• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff Republicans say.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Racism doesn't exist on just one side of the fence, and I can tell you from just my own personal experiences alone that there are some black racists as well.

So, I think we have to honest here and realize that we can't sweep this all under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist, but at the same time we have to be very careful in assigning blame.

metis

The issue of Citizens United had to do with lobbying money, not free speech. Even a year before that decision, Roberts said it would be wrong to classify it as such, but something happened to his opinion over the following year, and I wish he would explain why he changed his mind.

BTW, Alito, during a State of the Union mouthed "Not true", thus stating that Obama was wrong when Obama said that the lobbying money wouldn't be able to be traced, which goes to show you how much Alito "knew".

If lobbying money is free speech, then I'm George Clooney-- where's my wife? :cool:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I suspect that your & my inferences will differ.

I'm sure they would.

I bet we'd even differ about the Sharpton & Tawana Brawley episode.

Probably. Then again I don't obsess over the man the way many people do. Consequently I met her here in DC a long time ago and had a nice talk with her.

A discussion about falsely playing the race card is about cases of falsely playing the race card.

But you've introduce Holder and Obama into the discussion, something many on the right like to do by the way, but I haven't seen evidence from you or others as to what this race card is you all believe they're playing.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Racism doesn't exist on just one side of the fence, and I can tell you from just my own personal experiences alone that there are some black racists as well.

So, I think we have to honest here and realize that we can't sweep this all under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist, but at the same time we have to be very careful in assigning blame.

True.....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But you've introduce Holder and Obama into the discussion, something many on the right like to do by the way.....
Sometimes, even people on the right get it right.
Even people on the left can.
....but I haven't seen evidence from you or others as to what this race card is you all believe they're playing.
That's the beauty of their making broad non-specific accusations of racism....he can paint everyone in large groups as racist without the possibility of disproof. Even when specific, such as when I'm accused of racism, I've no way to disprove it.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
That's the beauty of their making broad non-specific accusations of racism....he can paint everyone in large groups as racist without the possibility of disproof. Even when specific, such as when I'm accused of racism, I've no way to disprove it.

Do you think it might be you who's inferring he's playing the race card.....I mean all I was looking for was this allusive statement that he painted everyone as racist. If you can't point to specifics then I have no way of knowing your claim is true or not.

metis

Do you think it might be you who's inferring he's playing the race card.....I mean all I was looking for was this allusive statement that he painted everyone as racist. If you can't point to specifics then I have no way of knowing your claim is true or not.
And I think here you've hit on the inconsistency of some here, namely "Don't you dare play the race-card!", while they in turn play that same card by accusing So-and-So of doing it.

BTW, a study done in Pennsylvania, a blue state, back in 2007 found that roughly 25% of all whites would not vote for a black for president. That didn't surprise me, and the reason is that, I'll post again what I posted a couple of months ago, namely that I live in an area that is quite well-known for its large number of "Reagan Democrats" (northern suburbs of Detroit), and literally most of my family and most of my friends are quite outspoken racists. However, if an outsider were to talk with them, they'd never know it because most who are that way don't broadcast it to strangers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you really think it possible that I could find an example of playing the race card such that we'd agree? You don't even think Sharpton does this.
But here's an example of a typical false accusations of racism couched in plausibly deniable language.
There's a certain level of vehemence, it seems to me, that's directed at me, directed at the president. You know, people talk about taking the country back. It seems to me that this president has been treated differently than others. There's a certain racial component to this for some people. These are racial animus.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
But here's an example of a typical false accusations of racism couched in plausibly deniable language.

Holder
"There's a certain level of vehemence, it seems to me, that's directed at me, directed at the president. You know, people talk about taking the country back. It seems to me that this president has been treated differently than others. There's a certain racial component to this for some people. These are racial animus."

Where's the playing of the race card here. Nothing he said was untrue. He certainly didn't generalize. I showed the racism by folks during the re-election of Obama. So I'm not seeing the playing of the race card if what he said was actually true. I don't see generalizations made here as he said it's "a racial component for some people". This is absolutely true. Case in point.....where this all started....

At a Delaware town hall meeting a lady stood up to rant and ask her question about this supposed 'illegitimate president who was Kenyan born'...

"I want to know why are you people ignoring his birth certificate. He is not an American citizen. He is a citizen of Kenya..........and I don't want this flag to change. I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK....!"

So Holder was right. There are some people out there with racial animus.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Back to the OP - at least to some, who cares about 200,000 jobs if it means that a union might come in. After all, priorities are critical.

Tenn. GOPer slams Volkswagen: Creating 200,000 jobs is ‘intentionally’ a ‘magnet for unionized labor

According to Chattanooga Times Free Press, Watson told the state Senate Commerce Committee that approving $165.8 million in tax incentives for Volkswagen was dangerous because unions could change the “culture” of Tennessee.
“The incentive, no doubt, will create about 200,000 jobs directly, and countless more indirectly,” he admitted. “It will give southeast Tennessee a big foothold in the automotive industry, particularly in research and development. And it will allow the development of a new line of Volkswagen vehicles, particularly the SUV.”

But Watson asserted that the threat of organized labor unions might not be worth the benefits that Volkswagen would bring to the state.
In the end, Watson declined to support the tax incentives and abstained from voting. The remaining members of the committee approved the measure by a vote of 8-0.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Holder
"There's a certain level of vehemence, it seems to me, that's directed at me, directed at the president. You know, people talk about taking the country back. It seems to me that this president has been treated differently than others. There's a certain racial component to this for some people. These are racial animus."

Where's the playing of the race card here. Nothing he said was untrue. He certainly didn't generalize. I showed the racism by folks during the re-election of Obama. So I'm not seeing the playing of the race card if what he said was actually true. I don't see generalizations made here as he said it's "a racial component for some people". This is absolutely true. Case in point.....where this all started....

At a Delaware town hall meeting a lady stood up to rant and ask her question about this supposed 'illegitimate president who was Kenyan born'...

"I want to know why are you people ignoring his birth certificate. He is not an American citizen. He is a citizen of Kenya..........and I don't want this flag to change. I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK....!"

So Holder was right. There are some people out there with racial animus.

And of course his artful language is defendable, but what matters is when & how it's used. It's how he meets criticism, implying that this is the motivation of his opposition. Continual non-specific accusations of racism in the context of political discourse is prevarication.

But it's also true that was racial prejudice & incredible ignorance which kept Romney from winning.
Example:
Samuel L. Jackson: I Voted For Obama 'Because He Was Black'
That was a tip of the iceberg. Clearly, there is an anti-white racism component in Obama supporters. Romney was a victim of widespread racism. The country has a problem with racist black folk.
All these things are true. But if Romney continually harped on this, would it be so accepted & defended by Democrats? No, of course not....they'd accuse him of racism. The fact that the statements are true would be irrelevant because they'd read the subtle message.
Mitt Romney's shockingly racist acceptance speech | The Daily Caller

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And of course his artful language is defendable, but what matters is when & how it's used. It's how he meets criticism, implying that this is the motivation of his opposition. Continual non-specific accusations of racism in the context of political discourse is prevarication.

But it's also true that was racial prejudice & incredible ignorance which kept Romney from winning.
Example:
That was a tip of the iceberg. Clearly, there is an anti-white racism component in Obama supporters. Romney was a victim of widespread racism. The country has a problem with racist black folk.
All these things are true. But if Romney continually harped on this, would it be so accepted & defended by Democrats? No, of course not....they'd accuse him of racism. The fact that the statements are true would be irrelevant because they'd read the subtle message.
Mitt Romney's shockingly racist acceptance speech | The Daily Caller
So if I vote for a Jewish candidate because I'm Jewish or a woman votes for Hillary because of her gender, they're "racists" by your book? I do wonder of Samuel L. Jackson would vote for a black conservative such as Thomas Sowell - THAT would be a true test.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So if I vote for a Jewish candidate because I'm Jewish or a woman votes for Hillary because of her gender, they're "racists" by your book? I do wonder of Samuel L. Jackson would vote for a black conservative such as Thomas Sowell - THAT would be a true test.
No, silly.
To vote based upon gender is sexist, not racist.
To vote based upon religion is generic bigotry, because religion is not race.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

All I'm getting at is your example of Holder supposedly playing the race card by the example you gave, an example by the way that is plastered all over right-wing media, hardly rises to the level of playing the race card. If he made a blanket statement you might have a point. If there weren't already evidence for it you'd have another point but you don't.

Example:
That was a tip of the iceberg. Clearly, there is an anti-white racism component in Obama supporters. Romney was a victim of widespread racism.

If Jackson wanted to cast his vote based on skin color that's his right. I don't agree with it. I'm sure many didn't vote for Romney because he's white but I'm sure you would agree that there were plenty of other reasons people didn't vote for him such as the 47% comment, his policy positions of cutting from to poor to give to the wealthy, weak foreign policy position, his disastrous second debate dealing with terrorism, the fact that he couldn't relate to the plight of the everyday man and woman, his hypocritical position on the ACA even though he spearheaded such initiatives in his state and ran away from them in the election.....and there's more to why people, especially people of color, didn't vote for him such as his position on immigration...etc...etc... Him being white may have been a factor but a small factor.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
All I'm getting at is your example of Holder supposedly playing the race card by the example you gave, an example by the way that is plastered all over right-wing media, hardly rises to the level of playing the race card. If he made a blanket statement you might have a point. If there weren't already evidence for it you'd have another point but you don't.
You keep going on & on about the "right wing media" as though invoking them it matters to your claim.
If Jackson wanted to cast his vote based on skin color that's his right.
Racists have a right to be racist....that isn't in dispute.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
You keep going on & on about the "right wing media" as though invoking them it matters to your claim.

No...just pointing out where I see and hear it..is all. When I delve into the accusation that his statement was playing the race card it becomes an unfounded one given his context and the evidence that substantiates his claim......But where does that leave us.....It leaves us right where we started. You contending he plays the race card and me contending that he didn't....o_O

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No, silly.
To vote based upon gender is sexist, not racist.
To vote based upon religion is generic bigotry, because religion is not race.
That was my point if not expressed correctly - human beings tend to support those who they feel comfortable with race/gender/religion and the like. It should not be that way, of course, but it is in too many cases.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That was my point if not expressed correctly - human beings tend to support those who they feel comfortable with race/gender/religion and the like. It should not be that way, of course, but it is in too many cases.
Aye, people is a mess in they's choosing of politicians.
We extreme ideologically driven fringe types are lucky that we rarely even face a choice between 2 candidates.....there's only one weirdo anywhere near us. We're stuck with whatever race, religion, gender & sexual orientation they are.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Louie Gomert (Republican Congressman of Texas) is channeling his inner "John McCain circa 2008"

Louie Gohmert Wants To Bomb Iran Now, Pushes Bogus Obama Conspiracy Theories | Right Wing Watch
“we need to encourage this administration to go take out Iran’s nuclear capability” instead of pursuing negotiations: “I think it’s time to bomb Iran.”

“We need to make clear to Iran: You can play these silly games with our president that buys into them and our secretary of state, but the American people aren’t buying it and you’re going to pay a price,”

“I’m hoping and praying the president will realize, despite the agenda he has that has put Christians in jeopardy around the world, that he will not want to leave the Democratic Party so devastated that they won’t recover for many decades,”

“I’m just grateful that Netanyahu had announced there will be no two-state solution because, as you mentioned, [End Times author] Joel Rosenberg, he loves to point out in his favorite book, Joel, that Chapter 3, God says I am going to bring down judgment on nations that divide Israel. So I’d kind of hate to be a part of the nation that divides Israel,”

:eek:.....What is going on with these guys. Can Boehner not reel this guy in.... Oh wait..!!!