• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff Republicans say.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Is it over general when black effigies are hung from trees?

Personally I didn't see any over generalizations in the one example he was able to produce. Holder qualified his statement by saying "some people have a racial animus toward him and the president"...... Maybe his definition of generalization is different from mine.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Personally I didn't see any over generalizations in the one example he was able to produce. Holder qualified his statement by saying "some people have a racial animus toward him and the president"...... Maybe his definition of generalization is different from mine.
Maybe, perhaps, as such an outsider from regular society it's easy for me to see. I have heard many accounts of how women, ethnic minorities, the disabled, and many other minorities have been discriminated against. Myself I have faced some for being "ginger," but I haved a hefty deal from being Austisc. Being transgender, one does not even have to be open about this to become painfully aware of the discrimination transgender people face in society. Some people hold the view I am a piece of **** deserving only of death for being a Communist.
My own upbringing, even though it involved the privileged status of white, male, and Christian for what still remains most of it, the harsh rejection I faced from my own social group has left me in a state that is highly untrusting of that group. I realize this does not mean everyone who falls under that group, I realize that not everyone of that privileged group is out to hurt everyone, but yet I have seen how such a group will protect itself. They reject those who do not fit in. It makes no logical or rational sense to be more trusting of someone just because they aren't white, or because they are in a wheel chair, or because they are poor, (I would like to put a transgender comment here, but in this area I have only met a few), but if you fail to meet the norm, it doesn't really matter in what ways, it is your fault, you deserve it, and you should have worked to be more like the main group. This is my own psychological defense that I have adopted, but it doesn't change the fact that my observations are any different. I could probably even extend my experiences to more specifically having a high-functioning form of Austism. Does this at all make it wrong for me to say that those with high-funtioning Autism are put into a very difficult position in society, of being known to be very capable, creative, and intelligent, but also expected to have knowledge of all the social functioning that are we expected to have a firm grasp of, even though these things do not come easily or naturally to us? Does this at all make me wrong for complaining about how our needs and concerns for our mental functions are not met in society and are mostly and largely pushed aside to make room for extroverts who have a natural instinct for understanding social situations and natural drives to be a part of them, and who more easily accommodate the mold of corporate likeability?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are times when I long for an enlightened despot to rule by decree and this is one of those times. But of course the problem is how to make sure the despot is enlightened and how to get him out of office if he's not. But instead I think President Obama should just throw down the gauntlet to Congress and refuse to be bullied by them. If they want to make the US the laughingstock of the world, go for it. I fear Iran a lot less than I do the current Congress.

Graham threatens to cut funds to UN if Obama bypasses Congress on Iran sanctions

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is it over general when black effigies are hung from trees?
It seems that the main arguments are that because there are real examples of racism, that all claims of racism are valid...even the Sharpton & Tawana Brawley debacle. No.....I don't buy that. I've even personally experienced the phenomenon. But the left is so wedded to seeing the other side as racist, that perhaps it's become a matter of faith.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It seems that the main arguments are that because there are real examples of racism, that all claims of racism are valid...even the Sharpton & Tawana Brawley debacle. No.....I don't buy that. I've even personally experienced the phenomenon. But the left is so wedded to seeing the other side as racist, that perhaps it's become a matter of faith.
Given the number of white cop on black man violence and murder, it's hardly a matter of faith. All one needs to do is to ask some black males to describe experiences they took as racist to understand the level of racism still embedded in America today.

And of course, not all claims are true. But enough are to prove the basic point.

And it's important to understand that things are slowly getting better. The thought that we'd have a black President was not even in people's universes in 1970. The best part of having a President Obama is to hear the left attack him on purely political and policy terms. That is true equality - attacking other people because of their stupid ideas and dumb actions and not for any other reason!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Given the number of white cop on black man violence and murder, it's hardly a matter of faith. All one needs to do is to ask some black males to describe experiences they took as racist to understand the level of racism still embedded in America today.
And of course, not all claims are true. But enough are to prove the basic point.
That racism exists within some white folk isn't even in dispute. What they're arguing against is my claim that false accusations of racism by black folk (& whites too) exist.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That racism exists within some white folk isn't even in dispute. What they're arguing against is my claim that false accusations of racism by black folk (& whites too) exist.
To me it's obvious that every kind of human behavior exists and every kind of human stupidity exists. But your posts struck me as at least close to a logical fallacy of arguing against a point by asserting a small number of counter-examples.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How do you know McLaughlin is a Republican?
I doubt he's a Democrat but that does not prove anything.

But my objection is to the headline. I think "May make the ballot" is way over the top - the odds are close to zero that it would get on the ballot given that anything contrary to the state constitution can be killed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To me it's obvious that every kind of human behavior exists and every kind of human stupidity exists. But your posts struck me as at least close to a logical fallacy of arguing against a point by asserting a small number of counter-examples.
It's more of a logical fallacy to say that because racism exists, all claims thereof are legitimate. Moreover, counter-examples to false claims of racism do not disprove the existence of false claims. There will be no agreement on this....Democrats have much invested in painting the other side as racist, so they dare not face false claims from within their ranks. Their entire weltanachauung would collapse.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I doubt he's a Democrat but that does not prove anything.
What it might prove (or rather just show) is that Democrats are quick to label something without evidence, so long as it serves to demonize the opposition. There are many many loopy things said by the Pubs, so there's no need to invent or guess.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's more of a logical fallacy to say that because racism exists, all claims thereof are legitimate. Moreover, counter-examples to false claims of racism do not disprove the existence of false claims. There will be no agreement on this....Democrats have much invested in painting the other side as racist, so they dare not face false claims from within their ranks. Their entire weltanachauung would collapse.
The Republican party is so sick that charges of racism are only a tiny part of the long list of sins that the right commits every day. And even though it's true that Democrats have a hard time with some false claims, the Republican side is so full of it that they refuse to denounce truthers, birthers and other wingnuts in their ranks.

And if you want to pick on the left for something, you should pick on the number of wingnutty anti-vaxxers that are amongst the liberal set.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Republican party is so sick that charges of racism are only a tiny part of the long list of sins that the right commits every day. And even though it's true that Democrats have a hard time with some false claims, the Republican side is so full of it that they refuse to denounce truthers, birthers and other wingnuts in their ranks.
And if you want to pick on the left for something, you should pick on the number of wingnutty anti-vaxxers that are amongst the liberal set.
I pick on both parties (even upon Pubs in this very thread). But Dems are my favorite just cuz they predominate at RF. I find'm both a mess, & very far from my values. Just look at how the hawkish Hillary (who voted for the wars) is (or was) slated to be the front runner in the upcoming prez election....from one war monger to another. It's more important that she be a feminist symbol of power, than worry about how she would actually exercise that power.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh I'm will to bet he's a conservative. Supposedly he tried to get an initiative on the ballot that would allow the inclusion of the King James Version of the bible as a literature textbook.
Will Kamala Harris Block an Initiative Proposal that Legalizes Killing Homosexuals? - Bloomberg Politics
Conservatives & Republicans are often very different animals.
Tis illuminating that you appear to equate the two, & blithely presume he's a Pub.
He might even be, but it bespeaks prejudice to proceed without knowledge.