• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suppression of Free Speech on Covid

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Which is why some didn't take it serious at first
We in the Detroit area too it as being serious early on as the covid rate was the 3rd highest in the nation early on just behind NYC and northern New Jersey. Most of us got our vaccines as early as possible and most wore masks in public. Our kids worked tirelessly to try and get my wife and I in as soon as possible, but it was a local pharmacist who found an opening several miles away. There was only 1 opening there, so I had my wife get the shot, but the pharmacist decided to give it to me anyway.

BTW, when the Pfizer vaccine first rolled out of their facility in Portage, Michigan, I watched with tears running down my cheeks as I knew this was a groundbreaker, plus I did my undergrad work at WMU in Kalamazoo that's just a few miles from that facility.

metis

Back in the day he promoted a common sense approach to viruses but later he started pushing insanity about using masks.
From Cornell University: Combining all of the data, the researchers found that wearing a mask significantly reduced the risk of contracting COVID-19. Among healthcare workers, wearing a mask reduced the risk of infection by nearly 70 percent... -- New Evidence on Face Masks to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I really don't care that you think that.
Just stating the facts.
Back in the day he promoted a common sense approach to viruses but later he started pushing insanity about using masks.
What do you consider "insanity about using masks?"
You viruses can enter the body through the eyes, right?
COVID leaves your body in large droplets like your mucous and spit, right? Large droplets that could be stopped by ... wait for it ... a mask!

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
We in the Detroit area too it as being serious early on as the covid rate was the 3rd highest in the nation early on just behind NYC and northern New Jersey. Most of us got our vaccines as early as possible and most wore masks in public. Our kids worked tirelessly to try and get my wife and I in as soon as possible, but it was a local pharmacist who found an opening several miles away. There was only 1 opening there, so I had my wife get the shot, but the pharmacist decided to give it to me anyway.

BTW, when the Pfizer vaccine first rolled out of their facility in Portage, Michigan, I watched with tears running down my cheeks as I knew this was a groundbreaker, plus I did my undergrad work at WMU in Kalamazoo that's just a few miles from that facility.

You may remember the church bells ringing across America and the people crying and dancing in the streets when they announced the successful vaccine trials for the polio vaccine. I was born 5 years later and was beneficiary to those times, and to the smallpox vaccine. I got mumps though, and don't remember it but do remember my mom saying the neighbor cried when she saw me. Thankfully, no photos.

In my lifetime, there've been many more vaccine triumphs. I'm so thankful for modern medicine.

Ebionite

From Cornell University: Combining all of the data, the researchers found that wearing a mask significantly reduced the risk of contracting COVID-19. Among healthcare workers, wearing a mask reduced the risk of infection by nearly 70 percent... -- New Evidence on Face Masks to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
That's for heathcare workers. It's irrelevant for the general population who don't know what kind of mask to use to get any benefit.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
That's for heathcare workers. It's irrelevant for the general population who don't know what kind of mask to use to get any benefit.

So because it works well in a more concentrated environment (ie icus and hospital rooms), it won't work for the Gen pop, a less intensive environment?!?

That's not how the world works.

Ebionite

So because it works well in a more concentrated environment (ie icus and hospital rooms), it won't work for the Gen pop, a less intensive environment?!?

That's not how the world works.
You're ignoring the point about knowledge of which masks are more likely to be effective.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
You're ignoring the point about knowledge of which masks are more likely to be effective.

No I'm following the "gold-standard" meta-analysis (a study of studies) that has proven positive efficacy.

"Recently published researches show that 59% of all transmission came from asymptomatic transmission and at the time of diagnosis health-care workers (HCWs) tend to present without respiratory symptoms. These evidences have raised questions on whether an essential policy for use of personal protective equipment (PPE) is the best approach in HCW and other people or not. Therefore, this study conducted to investigate the effectiveness of using face masks and PPE in reducing the spread of COVID-19 in health-care and non-health-care settings. This systematic review and meta-analysis study was prepared according to the preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis statement and guided by meta-analysis of observational studies recommendations. Searches in databases were conducted from December 2019 to July 2021. Random-effects meta-analysis was performed to investigate the effect of using face masks and PPE on spread of COVID-19. Heterogeneity among studies was assessed using Cochran's Q test and the I 2 metrics. In total, 9920 individuals from 14 studies were included in this study. In all settings, application of PPE or any type of masks was associated with reduction in risk of COVID-19 (odds ratio [OR] = 0.44; 95% confidence interval [CI]: [0.29, 0.65]; I 2 = 85.21%). In the HCW subgroup, the protective effect had a combined OR of 0.33 (95% CI: (0.15,0.73), I 2 = 82.61%). Six studies were found protective effects of wearing mask in non-HCWs (OR = 0.58, 95% CI: (0.31, 1.06), I 2 = 85.63%). Results suggest that there is association between face mask/PPE use and reduction of COVID-19"

Notice that it says "ANY" mask.

metis

So, you really think most Americans are so stupid that they didn't inquire which may be the better masks to wear after the constant barrage of news reports and concern over people dying?

The first masks my wife and I wore were the cloth type, which after a while were discouraged as the paper masks were proving to be more effective, especially the N-95.

So, I have some cloth masks I can sell ya.