• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suppression of Free Speech on Covid

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I'm not buying into your strawman. You fail.

If you keep saying "you fail" nad can't rebut. I hate to say the shoe is on the other foot, and you have no argument.

Also I'm not strawmanning, "A straw man fallacy is the informal fallacy of refuting an argument different from the one actually under discussion,"

You're discussing whether masks confer a placebo effect through their studies. I showed it did not. You stated facts are easily seen by the general public, but then say it's not your problem to actually show these supposed facts.

SMH

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"Special pleading is an informal fallacy wherein one cites something as an exception to a general or universal principle, without justifying the special exception. It is the application of a double standard."

In fact you seem to be doing this yourself.
People that do not understand logical fallacies can never apply them correctly. They can only mimic them. They seem to think that "strawman" is a magical incantation without realizing that they need to be able to justify their claim if challenged.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I'm aware that there is a good case to make that the election was rigged.
Riggeds for fairnss because more citizens were able to vote. And Trump was fired. He lost by nearly 3 million votes in 2016 and over 7 million in 2020, he is not the people's choice.
It doesn't affect my point though, since US voters endorsed the rigged system through the act of voting.
If rigged means fair, yes the people want it.

To my mind a serious problem is gerrymandered districts and the electoral college system. Have computers design fair districts, and make the presidency a popular vote decision like all other elected officials.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You have no idea how that logical fallacy works try again.

Placebos are fascinating, there is some evidence that they work, even when the person receiving the placebo, knows it is a placebo. The point is though that wearing a mask cannot confer a placebo effect, because it is not a medication to solve a problem, rather it is a prospective behaviour to help prevent the spread of the disease.
And placebos are used to test the effectiveness of a drug. A set of individuals is tested for a baseline of symptoms, each with their own set of data. Then the group is split with one getting the drug and the other the placebo, and both groups are checked over time to see if symptoms are the same or better or worse. For something like asthma the subject can't percieve improvement without medication since environmental factos cause problems. Many assume placebos are more for pain perception than real problems where drug effectiveness gets tested.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
If rigged means fair, yes the people want it.
then again, rigged can mean rigged.
To my mind a serious problem is gerrymandered districts and the electoral college system. Have computers design fair districts, and make the presidency a popular vote decision like all other elected officials.
The electoral college is necessary. gerrymandered districts is done by both parties which isn't right. However, computers designed districts are just as capable to be partial by the person who programs it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
then again, rigged can mean rigged.

The electoral college is necessary. gerrymandered districts is done by both parties which isn't right. However, computers designed districts are just as capable to be partial by the person who programs it.
Why is the electoral college necessary? I cannot see that it any longer performs a useful service.

F1fan

Veteran Member
then again, rigged can mean rigged
Rigged is a word used by far right conservatives because our fair and secure election did not go Trump’s way. I made fun of your usage. Perhaps it went over your head.
The electoral college is necessary.
Only for republican presidential candidates to have a chance to win because they aren’t likely to get the popular vote. Otherwise it’s obsolete.
gerrymandered districts is done by both parties which isn't right. However, computers designed districts are just as capable to be partial by the person who programs it.
That’s why there should be a different method to create districts.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I like and don't like the EC but it does give states with a smaller population a voice.

Take Montana for example. It has a population of 1.1 million whereas just Los Angeles has a population 4x that.
It really doesn't. Not in the Presidential races. The concept that it was based upon does give them excessive power in the Senate and that should be more than enough. With modern races what gives a state power is whether or not it is a battlefield state and how large of one.

Ebionite

Again, all the ordinary person has to do to verify the fact that the pandemic was declared global is to click the link presented.
Ordinary persons have prejudice against the recognition of the actions of the divine, and declarations are not necessarily truth.