• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swift endorsing Harris...

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I’ve be wringing my hands on the edge of my seat for months wondering what she thinks!
Given that there are seven states with voters whose votes will determine the outcome of that election, and only perhaps 10-15% of them who aren't already firmly pro-Harris or pro-Trump, there isn't a lot any candidate can do to sway the outcome unless they or their proxies can motivate first-time voters to register and vote for them. Who do you think these 337,000 and counting Swifties are registering to vote for?:

"As for the entertainer’s impact, the General Services Administration confirmed with NBC News that, as of midday Wednesday, more than 337,00 people visited a custom URL that Swift posted on Instagram. The custom URL directs people to vote.gov, a website that helps people to register to vote." (source)

I wonder how her concerts do in those swing states. As far as I know, she sells out every venue she plays.

Both of the following links are about a half year old now

[1] From Taylor Swift's fan base is increasing in swing states (from Mar 2024)

"With those reactions in mind, I did some research [link 2 below] and found that Swift's fan base is increasing in the swing states, where Google searches for the pop star increased by 216 percent in the past year, including Michigan (228 percent). The two other states with the biggest increases were solidly Republican Florida (219 percent) and Iowa (273 percent). This data reveals how Swift and her growing fanbase could influence the U.S. election, with 225 electoral votes up for grabs in the swing states. Narrowing things down, four of the five so-called tossup states saw higher than average searches for Swift, especially in Wisconsin (282 percent increase)."

[2] Also, Taylor Swift US Election Influence (from Feb 2024)

"According to new data, five ‘tossup’ States could have a huge bearing on the election. Arizona, Maine, Nebraska, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are all in the balance, but legions of Taylor Swift fans have sent searches for Swift way above the average increase in swing states (216%) in all but one state - Arizona (+185%)."

Their use of the term swing state has changed. They're calling states such as NB and ME swing states in the above, but the trend is that her popularity soared prior to these dates and it has only increased since then.

You don't see the irony there? This is what Vance said:

"We admire Taylor Swift’s music, but I don’t think most Americans, whether they like her music, are fans of hers or not, are going to be influenced by a billionaire celebrity who I think is fundamentally disconnected from the interests and the problems of most Americans."

Every MAGA is influenced by a celebrity billionaire (or at least Trump used to be one) disconnected from ordinary Americans, and Swift is not that last part.
The use of popular celebrities always strikes me as odd because aside from entertainment, there is usually little else to contribute in any real or practical way.
Yet they are paid hundreds of millions of dollars for their celebrity endorsements. Some seems to think their opinions are influential.
I'll take my 'chances' with Trump
If he loses, you'll be taking your chances with Harris.
The People's Republic of New York guarantees my little vote won't count here, but it's only for this year.
Are you planning to move out of state? If not, it will be the same for you every election.
His first tern went fine until the pandemic hit.
Most of America disagreed with you. He lost by 8 million votes in 2020, and that was before the insurrection, before he started losing his cognitive abilities, before he became a convicted felon, and before he became so openly dictatorial. Each of those should cost him additional votes, as should Harris' relative youth and her incumbency (as VP), advantages Biden did NOT enjoy when he beat Trump in 2020. Do the math.

Here's a recent summary of Trump as wannabe dictator. I have to assume that the people who approve of that now voted for him in 2020, and a lot of people who voted for him in 2020 find that off-putting:

"There’s been some public conversation of late about Trump’s authoritarian-style vision — and for good reason. The former president is threatening perceived foes with prison sentences, endorsing a “strongman” leadership style, bragging about his support from dictators, raising the prospect of a temporary American “dictatorship,” talking about “terminating” parts of the Constitution that stand in the way of his ambitions, arguing that his rivals shouldn’t be “allowed” to run against him, targeting immigrants with Hitler-style rhetoric while promising to create militarized mass deportations and detention camps, and promising pardons to politically aligned criminals. Trump’s plan to crack down on the free press is a key and radical part of the same agenda."

Colt

Given that there are seven states with voters whose votes will determine the outcome of that election, and only perhaps 10-15% of them who aren't already firmly pro-Harris or pro-Trump, there isn't a lot any candidate can do to sway the outcome unless they or their proxies can motivate first-time voters to register and vote for them. Who do you think these 337,000 and counting Swifties are registering to vote for?:

"As for the entertainer’s impact, the General Services Administration confirmed with NBC News that, as of midday Wednesday, more than 337,00 people visited a custom URL that Swift posted on Instagram. The custom URL directs people to vote.gov, a website that helps people to register to vote." (source)

I wonder how her concerts do in those swing states. As far as I know, she sells out every venue she plays.

Both of the following links are about a half year old now

[1] From Taylor Swift's fan base is increasing in swing states (from Mar 2024)

"With those reactions in mind, I did some research [link 2 below] and found that Swift's fan base is increasing in the swing states, where Google searches for the pop star increased by 216 percent in the past year, including Michigan (228 percent). The two other states with the biggest increases were solidly Republican Florida (219 percent) and Iowa (273 percent). This data reveals how Swift and her growing fanbase could influence the U.S. election, with 225 electoral votes up for grabs in the swing states. Narrowing things down, four of the five so-called tossup states saw higher than average searches for Swift, especially in Wisconsin (282 percent increase)."

[2] Also, Taylor Swift US Election Influence (from Feb 2024)

"According to new data, five ‘tossup’ States could have a huge bearing on the election. Arizona, Maine, Nebraska, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are all in the balance, but legions of Taylor Swift fans have sent searches for Swift way above the average increase in swing states (216%) in all but one state - Arizona (+185%)."

Their use of the term swing state has changed. They're calling states such as NB and ME swing states in the above, but the trend is that her popularity soared prior to these dates and it has only increased since then.

You don't see the irony there? This is what Vance said:

"We admire Taylor Swift’s music, but I don’t think most Americans, whether they like her music, are fans of hers or not, are going to be influenced by a billionaire celebrity who I think is fundamentally disconnected from the interests and the problems of most Americans."

Every MAGA is influenced by a celebrity billionaire (or at least Trump used to be one) disconnected from ordinary Americans, and Swift is not that last part.

Yet they are paid hundreds of millions of dollars for their celebrity endorsements. Some seems to think their opinions are influential.

If he loses, you'll be taking your chances with Harris.

Are you planning to move out of state? If not, it will be the same for you every election.

Most of America disagreed with you. He lost by 8 million votes in 2020, and that was before the insurrection, before he started losing his cognitive abilities, before he became a convicted felon, and before he became so openly dictatorial. Each of those should cost him additional votes, as should Harris' relative youth and her incumbency (as VP), advantages Biden did NOT enjoy when he beat Trump in 2020. Do the math.

Here's a recent summary of Trump as wannabe dictator. I have to assume that the people who approve of that now voted for him in 2020, and a lot of people who voted for him in 2020 find that off-putting:

"There’s been some public conversation of late about Trump’s authoritarian-style vision — and for good reason. The former president is threatening perceived foes with prison sentences, endorsing a “strongman” leadership style, bragging about his support from dictators, raising the prospect of a temporary American “dictatorship,” talking about “terminating” parts of the Constitution that stand in the way of his ambitions, arguing that his rivals shouldn’t be “allowed” to run against him, targeting immigrants with Hitler-style rhetoric while promising to create militarized mass deportations and detention camps, and promising pardons to politically aligned criminals. Trump’s plan to crack down on the free press is a key and radical part of the same agenda."
Swift has been developing a backlash based on her foray into political endorsements. She may just as well get out additional votes for Trump.

Colt

Are you saying the same about Elon Musk? Tim Dunn? Farris Wilks? The Kochs? The Uihleins? Peter Thiel? Miriam Adelson?

Your meme is selective about which billionaires to demonize, which makes it pretty much meaningless.
IMG_2758.jpeg

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
This is what happened last year after a single post:

On Tuesday morning, the singer posted a short message on Instagram encouraging her 272 million followers to register to vote. Afterward, the website she directed her fans to — the nonpartisan nonprofit Vote.org — recorded more than 35,000 registrations, according to the organization.

This Presidential election will be a real nail-biter.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was thinking the same thing about who she endorses.

I could never understand it myself. Celebrities have been known to take political stances, which is their right and it's perfectly fine, but why does it have to be such a big deal? I pretty much knew we were at the end of the line when Arnold Schwarzenegger entered politics.

Perhaps some are waiting with bated breath to hear who Barbie is endorsing for President.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Swift has been developing a backlash based on her foray into political endorsements. She may just as well get out additional votes for Trump.
Oh no. And look at you as a citizen sharing your personal political opinions to others. You must feel so much shame (for the hypocrisy).

We Never Know

No Slack
I could never understand it myself. Celebrities have been known to take political stances, which is their right and it's perfectly fine, but why does it have to be such a big deal? I pretty much knew we were at the end of the line when Arnold Schwarzenegger entered politics.

Perhaps some are waiting with bated breath to hear who Barbie is endorsing for President.
IMO if people are only voting for xxxx because a rich celebrity is, they are more than likely clueless about politics.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

So, she isn't supposed to have political opinions or put money where her mouth is? As far as I'm concerned, she's just one person out of many speaking out and donating money. It'll be interesting if she'll be invited to the next CMA show.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
IMO if people are only voting for xxxx because a rich celebrity is, they are more than likely clueless about politics.

Yes, I can see that. Of course, celebrities aren't the only ones who give endorsements. Newspapers and other media organizations might do so. Church leaders and clergymen have weighed in and made their preferences known.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yes, I can see that. Of course, celebrities aren't the only ones who give endorsements. Newspapers and other media organizations might do so. Church leaders and clergymen have weighed in and made their preferences known.
Yep.

There is only one person who can and will influence my vote and that is the candidate.