• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampons too "woke" for conservatives.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
They're more common in California than the other parts of America I've been to.
They're not 'rare' here in Oz, but they were basically the norm in my (limited) experience in Sweden, which is the only place I've spent time in where I'd say that is the case.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Just to clarify. Here sex education was split by the sexes in the lower grades. It was only coed once I reached high school age. Don’t know if that’s still the case. Just my experience
Couldn't speak to it in general terms, but my daughter's sex ed classes over the last couple of years (ie. upper levels of primary) included both unified and some separated sections. I believe the same topics were covered, but there was a little more depth, and Q&A type stuff in the divided section.
Same educator ran both.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Couldn't speak to it in general terms, but my daughter's sex ed classes over the last couple of years (ie. upper levels of primary) included both unified and some separated sections. I believe the same topics were covered, but there was a little more depth, and Q&A type stuff in the divided section.
Same educator ran both.
Yeah I think on the lower levels were more split and a bit more “simpler” but upper level were unified and more in depth
Don’t quote me on that though
This is over 10 years ago lol

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Same educator ran both.
It seems to be all unified here in Blighty. The class the other day involved the use of vegetables. And I don't mean in a food technology class. I'll say no more...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems to be all unified here in Blighty. The class the other day involved the use of vegetables. And I don't mean in a food technology class. I'll say no more...
Heh...I remember that even from back in my day.
Of course, we had to use prehistoric vegetables. Modern vegetables hadn't been invented.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You'd think it might have advanced from vegetables by now wouldn't you.
Parents are a constant factor in planning, and they tend towards thinking that things they were taught aren't too harmful.
Having said that, I'm out of education these days, so my sole exposure to current practices is via my two eldest daughters.
I do actually know a sex educator, who has been working in the US for the last 6-7 years, but I haven't seen her since she recently returned to Oz. I might not roll with 'bananas or dildos' as my first question. Ahem.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Parents are a constant factor in planning, and they tend towards thinking that things they were taught aren't too harmful.
Having said that, I'm out of education these days, so my sole exposure to current practices is via my two eldest daughters.
I do actually know a sex educator, who has been working in the US for the last 6-7 years, but I haven't seen her since she recently returned to Oz. I might not roll with 'bananas or dildos' as my first question. Ahem.
That's so last season. Courgettes!

Sex educator? In the UK, sex education is delivered by the inhouse teachers, appropriate to the specific subject or class/form.

Shaul

Premium Member
No, he was being a prick because there are far more wasteful things public funds get spent on. Lots of places provide free tampons and pads amd don't complain about the cost like a Republican will.
I didn't realize you were so familiar with the fiscal wherewithal of Idaho's state government. So you are suggesting all of their necessary expenditures are fully and completely funded. That's great news! Now you have decided that the Idaho taxpayers shouldn't have their own money returned to them but it should be spent on a non-essential because you like it. Since you don't think the public should complain about covering the costs you should be happy to chip in your own money to help.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Sex educator? In the UK, sex education is delivered by the inhouse teachers, appropriate to the specific subject or class/form.
My understanding of what her role was in the US was that she was basically employed by a school district to move about and provide the same program repetitively at different schools.
I am not sure if that was in the private or public sector (she's a Christian lady, but she's also a strong advocate for empowering kids with information).

It was in California (more specifically, in the San Francisco region, not exactly sure beyond that)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't realize you were so familiar with the fiscal wherewithal of Idaho's state government. So you are suggesting all of their necessary expenditures are fully and completely funded. That's great news! Now you have decided that the Idaho taxpayers shouldn't have their own money returned to them but it should be spent on a non-essential because you like it. Since you don't think the public should complain about covering the costs you should be happy to chip in your own money to help.

'Neccessary expenditures' is an interesting choice of words. My (strong) supposition was that the education department or equivalent in Idaho would put forth a budget request, and the government would support/not support that, with negotiation and amendment as required.
Simple example, what level of teacher salary increase is a 'neccessary expenditure'?
What level of health insurance should those same teacher receive as part of their package?
Is Kinder free? Does it run all day (in Australian terms, include child care)?
Lots more, and lots of Idaho specific information available freely, at least at a high level.

So...maybe the better framing is to ask whether you'd support female sanitation products to be part of the costed budget request.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Makes sense, assuming the teacher has adequate training, resources, etc (like any other body of knowledge they are teaching about, really).
Although I had a mental image of a sheetmetal teacher approaching the topic in a slightly different way to the science teacher, and the art teacher doing it entirely differently again. Perhaps they could make it an integrated studies subject...LOL

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Is "the public" complaining, or just out-of-touch imbeciles who don't understand biology, believing the menstruation needs of students to be "non-essential"?

Also sac up and answer the question from post #60.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Some are much more interested in defending and helping neo-fascists like Trump and Netanyahu than they are about helping their fellow Americans who may be in need.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I hear you. Lessons are 1 hour 20 minutes long - quite a stretch. Pupils can apply to have toilet pass cards at their request (confirmed with parents/care-givers).
It seems like eternity when you're worried about whether or not your pants are going to be soaked with blood when you get up.
I was a super shy teen so even asking to go to the bathroom was super hard for me. Then I'd be so embarrassed that somebody might see my tampon and make fun of me that I'd go to great lengths to hide it somewhere discretely in my clothes or something. Of course all of that is far less embarrassing than walking around with bloody pants all day. I read a statistic recently that said something like 23% of teens don't have access to tampons so I think having them for free in school washrooms is a great - and affordable - idea. Plus it removes the embarrassment factor of having to hide one's tampon on the way to the bathroom. And kids can actually concentrate on school lessons instead of worrying about this stuff.

I'm 43 now and I couldn't care less who sees that I'm holding a tampon. But for me as a teen, that would have been the ultimate embarrassment. Which is kinda ridiculous because it's just a natural function of life.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Sorry, what's "non-essential" here??

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
When I was in Sweden there was more commonly unisex bathrooms than there are in Australia (and presumably America).
Access to free tampons or pads was common (not universal, but common) and didn't seem problematic at all.
Some places went further. One of my favourite bars there offered a small cabinet with tampons/pads, deodorant, bandaids, small tissue packs and a few other low values toiletery products.

It felt nice, friendly, and communcal...not exclutionary, imho.
I was about to do a joke about how as a man I would feel excluded, but then I thought a little more. Nothing would ruin a date more than if your companion needed such products and none were available. If evidence of that showed she would be extremely uncomfortable and so would any decent man.

So if you are a straight, heterosexual he-man meat eater (like me) then the answer to the question is "What is in it for me?" is that women have periods at times and need such product. Do you want to go home and just spend a dull evening with Rosie Palm and her five daughters? No? Then act like an adult and be willing to help other people at times. Trust me, it pays off big time in the long run.