• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taqueria customer shoots and kills robber

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The US becomes more like the wild west everyday. So sad
The Wild West was WAY more strict and reasonable with guns. You didn't even open carry or bring your gun with you to the city. People would assume you were a trouble make, you'd be looked at as being up to no good, and the sheriff would have his eyes on you. That was the Real West, where real cowboys often weren't white and often were known for being very rowdy and rambunctious when they themselves got into a town after being away from society for long periods of time.

Shaul

Premium Member
That's basically celebrating the aspirin that saved your life during a heart attack and dismissing the necessity of lifestyle changes as you eat a triple cheeseburger and supersized fries.
Silly. They weren't eating cheeseburgers and fries. It was a taqueria.
:D

Shadow Wolf

Silly. They weren't eating cheeseburgers and fries. It was a taqueria.
:D
It's not silly. That this even happened at all is more appropriate for a third world country with tinpot dictators and borders and names that have changed numerous times since we were kids. We don't see this crap in other First World countries. Instead, American gun nuts would rather just accept the consequences of ill health and hope the treatment works rather than acknowledge the necessity of lifestyle changes.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Texas has a "stand your ground" law that permits the use of firearms under certain circumstances. Assuming the shooter thought he was justified to shoot the robber under the law, then he had not committed any crime. Therefore he could leave the scene at will. Anyone making the argument that he broke a law by leaving needs to address this.

True enough, but he might run into problems there, having watched the video.

My understanding is he'd need to be in fear for either his life, or someone else's life to be able to claim self defence, not just to stop the robbery.

Happy to be corrected on that, I'm no expert on Texas law, for sure.

But leaving the scene doesn't appear overly problematic legally, near as I understand.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
True enough, but he might run into problems there, having watched the video.

My understanding is he'd need to be in fear for either his life, or someone else's life to be able to claim self defence, not just to stop the robbery.

Happy to be corrected on that, I'm no expert on Texas law, for sure.

But leaving the scene doesn't appear overly problematic legally, near as I understand.
Even if the prosecutor felt that they might have a case one needs to remember that this is Texas. I doubt if any jury would convict based on that video.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
It's not silly. That this even happened at all is more appropriate for a third world country with tinpot dictators and borders and names that have changed numerous times since we were kids. We don't see this crap in other First World countries. Instead, American gun nuts would rather just accept the consequences of ill health and hope the treatment works rather than acknowledge the necessity of lifestyle changes.
I don't see the issue. Criminal is taken down, and everyone is safe. Don't try armed robbery if you don't have like being shot.

Shadow Wolf

I don't see the issue. Criminal is taken down, and everyone is safe. Don't try armed robbery if you don't have like being shot.
It's the fact a robbery took place. We need preventative care because this is America where violence and crime involving guns has gotten very out of hand. Where poverty pushing people to crime has gotten very out of hand. This doesn't happen in other First World countries. They work to prevent the robberies and crime and poverty in the first place so they may enjoy a more safe society where it is unthinkable to live with such violence. It freaks them out because it's so common here that we've common desensitized and immune to the sting of such a tragedy.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I kind of doubt it, tbh
I remember Horrible Histories doing a skit about how real life cowboys were just a bunch of boring farmers and nothing like the movies lol
Er, that's literally what cowboys are - ranch workers who corral cattle. It's in the name. Outside of that, they're just associated with rodeos, which they developed.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
A man in a ski mask entered a taqueria and proceeded to rob diners brandishing what appears to be a gun. One of the customers then pulled out his own gun, shot and killed the robber. The man then returned the money the robber had taken to other diners. The man and the other customers left before police arrived. This happened in Houston.

HPD: Customer shot suspect to death at Houston restaurant; wanted for questioning
Awesome. Anyone who robs someone at gunpoint is sick in the head, anyway. It's severely traumatizing to go through that. You literally could die at any second, and some of these robbers are monsterous enough to kill the person even after they've given them everything and the person is pleading for their life. **** 'em.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Er, that's literally what cowboys are - ranch workers who corral cattle. It's in the name. Outside of that, they're just associated with rodeos, which they developed.
Yeah the title is a bit of a give away lol
Didn’t know they developed rodeos. That’s cool.

Shadow Wolf

I kind of doubt it, tbh
I remember Horrible Histories doing a skit about how real life cowboys were just a bunch of boring farmers and nothing like the movies lol
The American Wild West was tame and mellow, and cowboy lore and popular myth do not reflect or match reality. And that reality is they just didn't have the guns or tolerance for them back then like today.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The American Wild West was tame and mellow, and cowboy lore and popular myth do not reflect or match reality. And that reality is they just didn't have the guns or tolerance for them back then like today.
Alas reality once again proves to be the more boring option

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
It's the fact a robbery took place. We need preventative care because this is America where violence and crime involving guns has gotten very out of hand. Where poverty pushing people to crime has gotten very out of hand. This doesn't happen in other First World countries. They work to prevent the robberies and crime and poverty in the first place so they may enjoy a more safe society where it is unthinkable to live with such violence. It freaks them out because it's so common here that we've common desensitized and immune to the sting of such a tragedy.
Robberies takes place in other countries too. Blaming it on poverty is silly. Most countries have poverty, some a lot of poverty.

Shadow Wolf

Robberies takes place in other countries too. Blaming it on poverty is silly. Most countries have poverty, some a lot of poverty.
I'm not talking of most countries. I'm talking of First World countries. And they don't have as much crime or poverty ad America.
And, yes, it's a widely understood fact that poverty fuels crime.

Shaul

Premium Member
So you would be happier if the robber had gotten away?

Shadow Wolf

So you would be happier if the robber had gotten away?
Actually I'd be happier if we worked on reducing the causes and reasons that lead up to such crimes in the first place.
People haven't mentioned, but regardless the outcome it was a traumatic event. People were robbed, people saw someone get killed. We should we not work to stop ad many of these as possible before they happen?
And, yes, I'd be happier if the guy were able to have his day in court and be rehabilitated and given the tools needed to succeed. But this is America so that doesn't happen here either and we set them up to fail and wind up back in the system.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

Exactly. The man who shot down the armed robber even retrieved what was stolen and handed it back to the people who were stolen from.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I'm guessing the shooter never asked the robber to drop the gun, like any Police officer should do first before shooting