• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taqueria customer shoots and kills robber

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm guessing the shooter never asked the robber to drop the gun, like any Police officer should do first before shooting
It would be unwise for him to do so. Let's assume that it was a real gun. In a situation like that the man would be likely to shoot. In fact if a policeman had been there from the start he would likely have done the same thing. The order to drop one's weapon occurs when police arrive at a scene.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
It would be unwise for him to do so. Let's assume that it was a real gun. In a situation like that the man would be likely to shoot. In fact if a policeman had been there from the start he would likely have done the same thing. The order to drop one's weapon occurs when police arrive at a scene.
not buying that, the weapon wasn't pointed at the shooter

Altfish

Veteran Member
The Wild West was WAY more strict and reasonable with guns. You didn't even open carry or bring your gun with you to the city. People would assume you were a trouble make, you'd be looked at as being up to no good, and the sheriff would have his eyes on you. That was the Real West, where real cowboys often weren't white and often were known for being very rowdy and rambunctious when they themselves got into a town after being away from society for long periods of time.
I quite like the judge and jury system

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I'm guessing the shooter never asked the robber to drop the gun, like any Police officer should do first before shooting

Lyndon. :facepalm: This is Texas, not California. You don’t get the sympathetic social worker treatment if you choose to point a gun at people and rob them. Expect Texas to fight back.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
according to the video, he shot him in the back as he was on the way out the door, its not even clear from the video that it was a robbery, or just someone brandishing a fake gun for effect

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
according to the video, he shot him in the back as he was on the way out the door, its not even clear from the video that it was a robbery, or just someone brandishing a fake gun for effect
What? Yes, it was a fake gun, but what makes you think that it might not have been a robbery?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, great idea....give the robber
a chance to turn & kill people.

In the real world, cops often shoot
first, without giving the order or time
to drop the gun.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Texas has a "stand your ground" law that permits the use of firearms under certain circumstances. Assuming the shooter thought he was justified to shoot the robber under the law, then he had not committed any crime. Therefore he could leave the scene at will. Anyone making the argument that he broke a law by leaving needs to address this.

It's up to a prosecutor to determine if "stand your ground" applies. Even in Texas, it's not legal to go around shooting people.

Shaul

Premium Member
It's up to a prosecutor to determine if "stand your ground" applies. Even in Texas, it's not legal to go around shooting people.
Actually it is up to a court, not the prosecutor. And said prosecutor would have to establish that the shooter did not think the stand your ground applied. Otherwise the defense could use that.

Shaul

Premium Member
Actually I'd be happier if we worked on reducing the causes and reasons that lead up to such crimes in the first place.
People haven't mentioned, but regardless the outcome it was a traumatic event. People were robbed, people saw someone get killed. We should we not work to stop ad many of these as possible before they happen?
And, yes, I'd be happier if the guy were able to have his day in court and be rehabilitated and given the tools needed to succeed. But this is America so that doesn't happen here either and we set them up to fail and wind up back in the system.
Well, good luck with that. Until criminals docilely submit and skip over to courts to be adjudicated when politely asked to stop being silly bad people, citizens have a right to protect themselves.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I think if you are having a gun pointed at you, even as it's being waved around, you have the right to claim you were in fear for your life.
I've watched other videos where the concealed carry person waits until the gun is pointed in his direction before firing. There's no guarantee someone is going to listen when you ask him to drop it.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Actually it is up to a court, not the prosecutor. And said prosecutor would have to establish that the shooter did not think the stand your ground applied. Otherwise the defense could use that.
\
Yes, but it's ultimately up to the prosecutor, as that is who decides if charges are to be filed at all; that is before it gets to court (which it does only if the prosecutor decides to prosecute).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Whatever that means.
Someone needs to define what a first world country is, too.
Seems like kind of an insulting term when you think about it.
Those are countries that are industrialized and have advanced economies, and are usually liberal democracies. Japan, Canada, Norway, Australia, America and England are a few examples.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Well, good luck with that. Until criminals docilely submit and skip over to courts to be adjudicated when politely asked to stop being silly bad people, citizens have a right to protect themselves.
Then how did other countries manage to achieve lower crime rates?