• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taxation is...

Taxation is

• The price we pay for civilized society

Votes: 32 97.0%
  • Theft

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

Koldo

Outstanding Member
So? The more salient point is that they have good relations with their neighbors which eliminates the need for a military. The elimination for the need for taxes to support a military is real.

Erm... It is not just being in a good relationship with your neighbors. It is having neighbors armed to the teeth that will come for your aid if the need arises. Otherwise, someone from far away may come around and claim your land just as easily.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Um, actually it is both a legal and a moral or ethical term. As the definition you provided shows. A crime may or may not be codified in law. You are equating lowercase "law" with uppercase "Law". The former is an imperfect man made construct the latter is the ideal archetype of the concept.
Um, the definition I provided was the only one under the word ""theft". The exception could be to use the word metaphorically.

Hey, if your "hard-earned money" is more important than the people taxes may help, that's your choice, no doubt.

Shaul

Premium Member
And I believe all or most of them still have other forms of taxes, such as sales tax, etc.

IOW, "There's more than one way to skin a cat."-- and collect $. :cool:
ONE MORE TIME(!) Taxation is a spectrum, not an absolute. Arguing for the perfect against the possible is absurd. Reducing taxes is still possible even if the total elimination of taxes isn't.

Shaul

Premium Member
And all countries are like them.
And all governments have wasteful spending too. So what? As I have written multiple times. There are alternatives to taxes for funding government operations. I never wrote that taxes could be eliminated completely. Stop arguing a straw man case.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
And all governments have wasteful spending too. So what? As I have written multiple times. There are alternatives to taxes for funding government operations. I never wrote that taxes could be eliminated completely. Stop arguing a straw man case.

Then get the votes! You are not a we! I am not a we!

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Yet countries like Saudi Arabia, Bermuda and the Bahamas get by with no income taxes. Also the United States had no income tax for most of its history. History indeed.

No doubt these countries have other sources of income. For Saudi Arabia it's oil. Maybe it's tourism for the other two. As I said that's still taking money that could be allocated to individuals and putting it to government uses. I don't have a problem with that, but it seems that you are just objecting to the word "taxation".

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No doubt these countries have other sources of income. For Saudi Arabia it's oil. Maybe it's tourism for the other two. As I said that's still taking money that could be allocated to individuals and putting it to government uses. I don't have a problem with that, but it seems that you are just objecting to the word "taxation".

One of them is a tax haven.

Shaul

Premium Member
Erm... It is not just being in a good relationship with your neighbors. It is having neighbors armed to the teeth that will come for your aid if the need arises. Otherwise, someone from far away may come around and claim your land just as easily.
It is one part. The point is that a society can take constructive actions to reduce and/or eliminate their need for a military. And that in so doing they reduce or eliminate the need for taxes to support military expenditures. The point is still valid that the argument that taxes are a necessity because there is such a thing as a military is false.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It is one part. The point is that a society can take constructive actions to reduce and/or eliminate their need for a military. And that in so doing they reduce or eliminate the need for taxes to support military expenditures. The point is still valid that the argument that taxes are a necessity because there is such a thing as a military is false.

Your country goes first. And please get the votes.

Shaul

Premium Member
Yeah, I object to toll roads and private roads.
No problem. Simply don't use them and you don't pay for them either. But someone taxed to pay for roads is given no such choice. One is voluntary, the other taxes, is not.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The use of taxation by governments is a spectrum, not a binary state of use/non-use. So your question of where it is "completely irrelevant" isn't answerable. It would be like asking for an economy that is completely free-market. I have previously listed some of the alternative methods for financing government operations. The point is that a society decides how much taxation it permits. There is no universal minimum required amount of taxation.
Which country does not have taxation? You said there were several...