• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas - Terrible abortion law doing what Republicans said it wouldn't do

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How much more clear can it be that this is not a "pro-life" movement, this is about having total control over women.
Yup. I read this earlier today (source):

"In a statement Thursday afternoon, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said that the judge’s order “will not insulate hospitals, doctors, or anyone else, from civil and criminal liability for violating Texas’ abortion laws. This includes first degree felony prosecutions.” It also does not prohibit private citizens or a district or county attorney from enforcing Texas’ pre-Roe abortion laws against Cox’s doctor or anyone else, Paxton argued, adding that the judge’s order “will expire long before the statute of limitations for violating Texas’ abortion laws expires.”

The state attorney general also took the additional step of sending official letters to three Houston-area hospitals, warning administrators that the court order would “not insulate hospitals, doctors, or anyone else, from civil and criminal liability for violating Texas’ abortion laws.” In other words, Paxton is not only needlessly involving himself in Cox’s plight, he’s also effectively telling local hospitals, “Think twice before you honor a court order and provide medical care for a woman desperately in need of assistance.”

Honorable_Skeptic

Most "pro-life" hypocrites claim to be Christian, no?

Does the Bible affirm the right to life of children, including those already born? Uh, not really!

I don't see how commanding the extermination of all men, women and boys in an ethnic group and the enslavement of the girls is anything remotely resembling "pro-life".

Shaul

Premium Member
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

That is why it should be the decision of the woman whether or not she wants to take that risk!!!!!
They always have been able to make that decision by choosing to whether have sex and how. But no one can exercise a right by taking the life of another human. That includes a mother not being allowed to exercise her own reproduction rights by taking the life of another, including an unborn child.

Honorable_Skeptic

They always have been able to make that decision by choosing to whether have sex and how. But no one can exercise a right by taking the life of another human. That includes a mother not being allowed to exercise her own reproduction rights by taking the life of another, including an unborn child.
Try turning off your own sex drive before you lecture anyone else about "choosing to whether have sex and how". That kind of ignorant, self-righteous attitude has always been the problem with men telling women what to do with their bodies.

There is NO way one can logically make the right of an unborn exceed the rights of the already born, except though sexist bigotry. And the Abrahamic religions are full of just that. Even as a man, I see right though that nonsense. I can't get pregnant, so....

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
On the contrary, no one has the right to take over another persons body and use it for their own purposes. And that includes the Texas AG, and it includes an unborn child.

But btw, thank you for proving my point that this is all about controlling women. It is important to punish those sluts who dare to have sex. Even if, as in this case, that women is married and had sex with her husband, and wants to have a child. It is still her fault, and she must be forced to suffer.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't share any medical opinion. I might be surprised if what you wrote was true, but the article states it isn't. According to the article the basis of her case was on the abnormality of the fetus, not on any threat to herself.
It's depressing and telling that such a distinction would even be relevant. You'd think that not killing living, breathing women or inflicting needless suffering upon their person would be a bit more of a priority. Or respecting the professional judgement of doctors who go to medical school for several years over that of politicians with no relevant medical experience.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
A pregnant Texas mother of two got a court order allowing her to have a medically necessary abortion, but Texas state officials are threatening the judge, hospital, and doctors involved with prosecution, fines, and licensure removal. See story for details.

In my view , she has a right to go to another state where it's legal and free from pursuit and prosecution by Texas authorities and return to Texas if she desires and to live her life normally and free from harassment afterwards.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Just to note that this MAGA Taliban TX government is not alone. It part of a pattern of having the almighty state tell people what they can do with their bodies, what they can read in libraries, what teachers can teach, telling businesses that they have to advertise where the state tells them to, decide what votes to count, attacking LGBTQ+ people and so forth.

Missouri lawmakers propose allowing homicide charges for women who have abortions

It's strange to hear this coming from the left wing, when they do the same exact things albiet involving different issues.

On principle, I do agree with your post that individual freedoms need to be preserved, no matter what the issue or what party pushes it on others.

Orbit

I'm a planet
All pregnancies pose health risks. The article never states that the ones she has experience rise to the level of being life threatening. It is YOU that should re-read the article. The case she brought to the court was based on the abnormality of the fetus and NOT on a claim that the pregnancy posed a grave threat to her own mortality.
On what planet is carrying a dead fetus not a problem? Because that’s what is happening. Does she have to be on her deathbed before she can get an abortion?

F1fan

Veteran Member
They always have been able to make that decision by choosing to whether have sex and how.
This case has nothing to do with having sex, and how. It ia about unreasonable laws that put pregnant women at risk if their pregnancies develop problems, as in this case. There are otehr lawsuits against Texas for these laws that imply doctors and hospitals cold be charged with felonies.
But no one can exercise a right by taking the life of another human.
Unless it is the state of Texas, and laws cause the inadvertent deaths despite warnings.
That includes a mother not being allowed to exercise her own reproduction rights by taking the life of another, including an unborn child.
This is not relevant to this case. And eyt no conern for the mothers with problematic pregnancies.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
She wants to have children. She is at risk of losing her uterus if she continues this pregnancy, so continuing this pregnancy is putting her ability to have children in the future at risk. This fetus has no chance to be healthy, much less survive to term. The mother might not even survive to term. Right now, she is too sick to travel out of state for an abortion.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
On the contrary, no one has the right to take over another persons body and use it for their own purposes. And that includes the Texas AG, and it includes an unborn child.

But btw, that you for proving my point that this is all about controlling women. It is important to punish those sluts who dare to have sex. Even if, as in this case, that women is married and had sex with her husband, and wants to have a child. It is still her fault, and she must be forced to suffer.
Don't confuse me with facts and rational reasoning! My misogynistic prejudices must have their way!

I hate to say this, but part of me does not want a solution to this before November of next year.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I hate to say this, but part of me does not want a solution to this before November of next year.
I find it hard to believe that the GOP strategists have not yet twigged that this is a vote loser and a voter motivator. People who are lethargic when it comes to voting will get out to vote.

Erebus

I think you're wrong about the motive being control
of women. It appears to be about willingness to risk
harm to, & even the life of women, in order to save
every fetus that could possibly survive.
Fanatical Christians view the mother's life & health
as quite subordinate to the fetus....even one genetically
damaged to the point of low survival odds, & even if
doomed to a short painful life.
This is a greater evil than mere control of women (IMO).

I mostly agree with you on this. I tend to believe that most pro-lifers genuinely do want to save the lives of foetuses. Control of women's bodies is a means to an end rather than the motive in and of itself. That approach can absolutely manifest as a callous disregard for the lives of women.

I'm less sure about the motives of many pro-life politicians though. I suspect that some really do see themselves as saving lives. Many likely see it as nothing more than a way to garner support and don't actually give a toss about ethical considerations. I also don't find it hard to believe that control of women's bodies really is the goal for at least some of those politicians. Power is one hell of a drug and powerful people often seem to desire control of others purely for the sake of getting that fix.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
On what planet is carrying a dead fetus not a problem? Because that’s what is happening. Does she have to be on her deathbed before she can get an abortion?
Sometimes they tell women to come back only when there are serious and deadly complications.