• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks to the voters who defeated the "red wave"

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You all restored a little of my faith in humanity.

(And yes, I voted, but I live in a solidly blue state)

I also contributed a few bucks to a few critical senate races. But honestly, the Dems have to take a hard look at themselves, given that they barely beat 2022's collection of GOP a##hats.

I voted Democratic, just as I said I would after enduring more than two years of bullying and harassment from Trump supporters. I vowed that I would never support the Republican Party politically or financially again as long as Trump and his sycophantic followers have control of it. I also donated some of the money that I had set aside years ago to financially support the Republican Party to help support the Democratic Party. I wish that I had the stimulus check money like I had to send to Joe Biden's 2020 presidential campaign, but I didn't have any this time, or I would have sent a lot of that money to financially support the Democratic Party. I'm pleased that the Democrats maintained control in the Senate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them concerning the House of Representatives.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Ron DeSantis disagrees. I think it's important to look at the election from a strategic point if view, as well as from a viewpoint if working out what is true, and beneficial for the country.

I don't like DeSantis or his politics. He ran a very effective and successful campaign.

He's an effective demagogue, but what I mean is that his overgeneralizations about the "woke" don't even have to be accurate for him to enjoy a lot of support. All he needs to do is cater to the prejudices of his base or otherwise push the right buttons to appeal to them even if he employs falsehoods, and he seems to know how to have such appeal.

He's essentially a more restrained Trump, in a way.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think it is good that democrats don't have the House, as this will allow republicans to show their true chaotic colors over the next two years, right before 2024.
I suspect Dems may make this a focal point. No surprise at all if we see a proposed federal law to allow abortions. Just as it'll be no surprise when the House doesn't pass it. Well probably also see health care laws, things in regards to student loans, gun regulations, and voting laws. Of course none of this will pass in the House, but it will may be enough to shake up primaries as this last election showed some Trump-endorsed candidates having a sluggish performance.
If Reps primary the Trumpers out 2024 may be a very good year for them. If they don't 2022 suggests it will be an uphill battle.
A major question of how long will the post-Roe v Wade momentum last?

Shaul

Premium Member
I suspect Dems may make this a focal point. No surprise at all if we see a proposed federal law to allow abortions. Just as it'll be no surprise when the House doesn't pass it. Well probably also see health care laws, things in regards to student loans, gun regulations, and voting laws. Of course none of this will pass in the House, but it will may be enough to shake up primaries as this last election showed some Trump-endorsed candidates having a sluggish performance.
If Reps primary the Trumpers out 2024 may be a very good year for them. If they don't 2022 suggests it will be an uphill battle.
A major question of how long will the post-Roe v Wade momentum last?
By design the House has more power of the Senate than the other way around. The Senate can pass a Bill but can't force the House to even consider it. Although the Senate could modify a Bill passed to it by the House in such a way that it would require reconciliation. But that would just go to a conference and not be the House Republicans that dealt with it. On the other hand, all Bills that spend money must originate in the House. This means the Republican House majority can put things into the spending Bill that the Senate (and President Biden) must deal with it in order to fund anything. Think back to 2019-2020 when the Democrats controlled the House and the Republicans controlled the Senate and Presidency. Same story lines but the parts are reversed.

Palehorse

I also contributed a few bucks to a few critical senate races. But honestly, the Dems have to take a hard look at themselves, given that they barely beat 2022's collection of GOP a##hats.
We need to support the democrats and the Jewish confederacy in making America the new israel...

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Wokeness has been the fuel for the GOP for the past 30 years but lets keep that a secret!

I think the combination of extremists from all directions, and the MSM giving them oxygen, is a huge problem.

Wandering Monk

I have voted Red since 1976 to 2016. Trump turned me. I split my vote in 2020. In 2022 I voted Blue straight down the ticket. I live in a Red county that seems to be turning purple since about 2000.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Don't forget to thank the many unsung who helped pull this off. The Biden DOJ Federal Election monitors who made sure the votes were counted in the "right" way. The many Democrat election officials at the state and local levels who made sure there was plenty of extra time to find ballots and do things the Democrat way. And the many Democrat canvassers that stuffed the many unmonitored drop boxes. It was a team effort.

Of course. The Republican's failures have to be due to some cockamamie, convoluted conspiracy. It couldn't possibly be because the American people are fed up with train wrecks and dumpster fires. :rolleyes:

Btw, do you wear your tinfoil hat on top of or underneath your MAGA cap?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I give it time. The democrats just need additional time to take or to the next level in destroying this country.

There are future elections. Particularly 2024.

You align yourself with a theocratic movement that seeks to suppress science and erode the rights, freedoms, and equality of the American people, so your judgement regarding what's destroying this country is rather questionable.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
He's an effective demagogue, but what I mean is that his overgeneralizations about the "woke" don't even have to be accurate for him to enjoy a lot of support. All he needs to do is cater to the prejudices of his base or otherwise push the right buttons to appeal to them even if he employs falsehoods, and he seems to know how to have such appeal.

I would say they're more subjective truths rather than objective ones. He (and his supporters) don't define 'woke' in the same way you do.
But I would agree he's a populist. He is also pretty well attuned to his base in Florida (including new residents), but it will be interesting to see how his messaging will be adjusted (or not) he shifts to national issues.

He's essentially a more restrained Trump, in a way.

Broad brush yes. But he's a more skilled politician, for better or worse.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I hope that this means the reps and dems will be able to work together.

hah ahaha hahahahahaha

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I would say they're more subjective truths rather than objective ones. He (and his supporters) don't define 'woke' in the same way you do.
But I would agree he's a populist. He is also pretty well attuned to his base in Florida (including new residents), but it will be interesting to see how his messaging will be adjusted (or not) he shifts to national issues.

I don't have a definition for "woke," personally, as I think it can mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean. I usually find it self-aggrandizing when used in a positive sense and demonizing when used in a negative one, since it can refer to anything from merely supporting LGBT rights to being a bona fide Marxist-Leninist.

It's a weaponized term that the likes of DeSantis use without a clear definition, and it's convenient to that end precisely because it can be used to demonize or dismiss anything they disagree with. We're talking about the same person who opposed mask mandates at the height of the pandemic, after all.

Broad brush yes. But he's a more skilled politician, for better or worse.

Yeah, that he's less prone to errors than Trump makes him scarier when coupled with his harmful politics, in my opinion.

Shaul

Premium Member
Of course. The Republican's failures have to be due to some cockamamie, convoluted conspiracy. It couldn't possibly be because the American people are fed up with train wrecks and dumpster fires. :rolleyes:

Btw, do you wear your tinfoil hat on top of or underneath your MAGA cap?
Because we all know that Democrats would never, ever be partisan nor underhanded, right?:rolleyes:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't understand. That's according to the Constitution.
Judicial appointments makes the Senate very powerful for it gives them access to install those who will decide the course of US policy after they are gone. It's a means to sway policy in ways beyond what Congress can normally do.