• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bible and gays

BenTheBeliever

Cool. I guess I decided to put myself in a family that abused me.
I suppose I also decided to have APD and few other lesser mental conditions.
Totally my fault I was born.

I was unaware, thank you for informing me.
You sure seem to choose to be hateful each time you write on here

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
My point is not to deny the truth of that statement, but that that is not all the New Testament has to say. Surely you do not suggest that repentance is not spoken of as well or that sins of various types were not spoken against.
They were. And it all came back to whether or not love was being shown. Jesus didn't berate the thieves for beating the traveler nearly to death. He did berate the Levite and the Pharisee for not showing compassion. And he called the outsider a "neighbor." Will you do the same, when the elder and the Stake President pass by on the road without stopping, and the homosexual stops to help?
Perhaps it should be asked what does it mean to love God? John 14:15: "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Perhaps it should be asked who's showing more of God's love here? Who's "keeping [God's] commandment" to show hospitality to the stranger and the outsider? Me? Or you?
You are attempting to reduce loving God to a feeling rather than an action.
I'm dong no such thing. Show the love to the outcast, the downtrodden, and the disenfranchised, for Pete's sake!! Love them for who they are -- not for who you want them to be.
The same with loving one's neighbor. To tell a neighbor that his sin is ok when it is not, is not loving him.
To tell a neighbor that who he is isn't good enough, isn't love. It's dehumanization.

BenTheBeliever

Not really a choice, it's simply my personality.
Yes it is a choice. You chose to be bitter just like I chose to be follow after God and be holy like wants all us Christians to be. Cause my heart desire is to be in his presence instead of the word. All the word has to offer people is sadness and death. Christ offer life and freedom

sojourner

You are attempting to suggest that God's laws are not objective (applicable in all places and at all times).
I'm not only attempting to suggest it, I am stating it. Many people don't recognize God. Are you going to force God's law on them, even as you're afraid that the gays are going to force you to solemnize their marriages? See the double standard you're proposing? It's OK for you to force homosexuals to the back of the theological bus who aren't Mormon, because you're right. It's not OK for them to force you to do something, though. No. God's laws are subjective. They apply only to those who accept them.
By saying there is no right or wrong, you are saying that all right and wrong is purely subjective and that depending who is in power, you could be right today and wrong tomorrow.
Isn't that the way it works? The rule used to be that homosexuals couldn't get married. Now they can. Used to suck to be them; now it sucks to be you. Our job is to stop making everybody else suck.
God's grace will not save people in their sins; but only from their sins.
Who's sinning here? the Gay for being Gay, or the Elder who refuses to sully himself by being helpful?
If you believe that God will save everyone no matter what they do in mortality, I think will are sadly mistaken.
...Because God always holds grudges.
If, on the other hand you believe that God will save you for simply verbally confessing His name, you are mistaken.
I think God saves everyone.
For He says that not everyone that says Lord, Lord will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. If you think it is by grace alone without any effort towards repentance on your part, you are mistaken.
How do you know that, when standing face-to-face with the Ultimate Reality that is God, everyone won't see the error of their ways and turn toward that reality? Or do you simply not have any faith in humanity to recognize reality -- or in God to save?

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Yes it is a choice. You chose to be bitter just like I chose to be follow after God and be holy like wants all us Christians to be. Cause my heart desire is to be in his presence instead of the word. All the word has to offer people is sadness and death. Christ offer life and freedom

No, actually, it isn't.
Do you know anything about me or my personality?
This is the way I was born, deal with it.
I have no intention to try and change who I am to make others happy.
I will also not control how I talk to others to make them feel comfortable with me.

Who I am is who I am. If you are unable to handle it... well that isn't my issue.

BenTheBeliever

No, actually, it isn't.
Do you know anything about me or my personality?
This is the way I was born, deal with it.
I have no intention to try and change who I am to make others happy.
I will also not control how I talk to others to make them feel comfortable with me.

Who I am is who I am. If you are unable to handle it... well that isn't my issue.
Same to you. I won't stop staring on God word to make you and others happy. I am a full blown Jesus Freak. I won't ever back down on my walk with Christ to make you and others happy comfortable with the choices you guys make

Deathbydefault

Same to you. I won't stop staring on God word to make you and others happy. I am a full blown Jesus Freak. I won't ever back down on my walk with Christ to make you and others happy comfortable with the choices you guys make

The issue here is more that you can't tell what is and what isn't a choice.
Perhaps you are incapable, maybe you're doing it on purpose.
Either way, you're wrong.

sojourner

There is grace for everyone. You just have to turn from what you do and mean it
I believe everyone will, ultimately, do that very thing. But then, I believe in the inherent goodness that is the created property of all humanity, not in the inherent "depravity" of humanity. I believe that that inherent goodness will resonate with the Reality that is God at some point.

sojourner

Cause it goes against what God had created
Didn't God create the people who are gay? Or did these people come from somewhere else (thus making them not really human, or the imago dei)? Seems dangerously close to a dehumanizing statement to me!

BenTheBeliever

I believe everyone will, ultimately, do that very thing. But then, I believe in the inherent goodness that is the created property of all humanity, not in the inherent "depravity" of humanity. I believe that that inherent goodness will resonate with the Reality that is God at some point.
Not everyone will do the right thing sadly I wish they would but it won't happen sadly

BenTheBeliever

Didn't God create the people who are gay? Or did these people come from somewhere else (thus making them not really human, or the imago dei)? Seems dangerously close to a dehumanizing statement to me!
He creates all humans he however did not make them to be gay. That happen after the fall out of Eden

sojourner

I truly believe science is used by Satan to tell people there is no God
Well, that's very ice. But it doesn't address my post. Do actually believe that the sky is a solid dome and that the earth is disc-shaped, just because the bible says so?!

Deathbydefault

If you wish to deny reality, and preach baseless beliefs, be my guest.
But you'll be doing it while on my ignore list.

sojourner

Yes they do. You might say they don't but God says they do sin.
In other words, a person is sin, by virtue of who they are. Hmmm... Seems that Jesus put a stop to that barbaric thinking by insisting that the Samaritan (who was considered to be "sin" simply by being who he was) was really part of the "kin-group" by virtue of his showing compassion.

BenTheBeliever

In other words, a person is sin, by virtue of who they are. Hmmm... Seems that Jesus put a stop to that barbaric thinking by insisting that the Samaritan (who was considered to be "sin" simply by being who he was) was really part of the "kin-group" by virtue of his showing compassion.
We are all born into the nature of sin all of us

Jumi

Yes I did. I chose every decision I make. I pray about it and I make my choices. Can you admit you make yours?
Of course you chose every decision you made, but did you choose the condition that causes you pain? You didn't. I'm guessing you simply didn't choose to love people you do, either. I didn't choose the condition that caused me pain, nor did I choose to be heterosexual yet that is what I am. There are things where no decision is involved.