• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Was Right. The Earth Is Flat.

HonestJoe

Scripture is replete with a multitude of clear references to the Earth being not a globe suspended in space, but a flat surface.
One chance to demonstrate that you're really interested in serious debate, a few basic questions about your hypothesis;

1) You seem to be stating that the Earth is a flat circular plane, not rotating in any direction - is that correct?
2) Roughly what is the diameter of this circular plane?
3) Where is the centre-point and where is the edge?
4) How had nobody even provided any physical evidence of this blatant misinformation/misunderstanding?

buddhist

So will you be convinced if we ever get an astronaut on the forum who's seen this:

with his own eyes?
Nope. It just means that the astronaut alleges that has seen it with his own eyes. It would be second-hand "evidence," not unlike alleged photos of the spherical Earth, or alleged videos showing a flat Earth.

I haven't see it with my own eyes, and don't have first-hand evidence. :)

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
This is circumstantial evidence, and dependent on the assumption that it is the Earth casting the shadow as a result of the sun. I can also point to other flat earth evidence, such as various allegations that we can observe objects farther than we should be able to, if it was true that the earth was spherical.

There is plenty of circumstancial evidence on both side. However, until I can observe the whole of the Earth for myself, I cannot say for certain which side is correct, and I prefer to believe that it is flat, in accordance with my religious faith.
It is wonderful that you talk about this evidence on both sides, but so far only evidence for the spherical earth has been presented.

Do you have something like google earth for your side? Something that can show us the size and shape of the earth, where the edges are?

http://www.smarterthanthat.com/astronomy/top-10-ways-to-know-the-earth-is-not-flat/

There is lots of evidence that you can see with your own eyes without having to visit space or travel around the world. Although you could do those things as well if you wanted.

buddhist

It is wonderful that you talk about this evidence on both sides, but so far only evidence for the spherical earth has been presented.

Do you have something like google earth for your side? Something that can show us the size and shape of the earth, where the edges are?

http://www.smarterthanthat.com/astronomy/top-10-ways-to-know-the-earth-is-not-flat/

There is lots of evidence that you can see with your own eyes without having to visit space or travel around the world. Although you could do those things as well if you wanted.
I agree that there is second-hand evidence from both sides. Here are some from the flat-earth perspective.

I'm simply lean towards the flat-earth side.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I agree that there is second-hand evidence from both sides. Here are some from the flat-earth perspective.

I'm simply lean towards the flat-earth side.
You say you have never seen the edge. So have you ever met anyone who claims to have seen the edge? Have you ever heard of anyone visiting the edge? Here on the internet you can talk to people all around (yes, all around) the earth. Surely someone must live within a short drive to the edge.

buddhist

You say you have never seen the edge. So have you ever met anyone who claims to have seen the edge? Have you ever heard of anyone visiting the edge? Here on the internet you can talk to people all around (yes, all around) the earth. Surely someone must live within a short drive to the edge.
I'm pretty sure I stated that I lean towards the belief that the Earth is flat ... not that there is an edge.

buddhist

Explain that to me. How can something be flat and not have an edge?
The Earth plane of existence can potentially be infinite in area, or at least undefined. It could also be a hologram with defined ends from an "external" perspective, but within (from our perspective), it could loop back on itself on each side, making it seem like it's spherical.

Like I stated, I don't know either way, for myself.

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The Earth plane of existence can potentially be infinite in area, or at least undefined. It could also be a hologram with defined ends from an "external" perspective, but within (from our perspective), it could loop back on itself on each side, making it seem like it's spherical.

Like I stated, I don't know either way, for myself.
Do you think the other planets are spherical? Or is Mars also an infinite area?

buddhist

That is so sad, first Pluto, now the earth.
I believe that the "planets" and "stars" are partial manifestations of other planes of existence (realms of the devas or Brahmas, etc.), interpreted by our physical eyes as spheres or lights in the sky.

The "planets" may be spheres on a certain level of "reality" but not on another, just like the "windows" and "icons" and "desktop" we perceive on our computer screens are merely interpretations of a deeper reality - the information consisting of 1's and 0's stored within the computer, and, in turn, the 1's and 0's are interpretations of an even deeper reality consisting of electrons and atoms, and so forth. Which "level" is "correct" and "real"? They're all correct and real, in a sense.

About item 5 on your list.

5.) There is no physical mechanism to cause the Earth's atmosphere to spin at the same rate as the surface of a spheroid Earth. The wind at the equator of a globe Earth should be supersonic, but it is not.
But there is a mechanism to cause the atmosphere to spin. If you stand on the Earth and the wind is blowing on your face, you can feel it. You feel the wind because it is pushing against you and you are also pushing against it.

buddhist

To bad.

We know.

Now off to the ignore list you go.
No problem. Please come back and let me know when you have realized your differing beliefs into personal knowledge; I would like to know how I can do the same, then.

Until then, wishing you well on your beliefs, and much metta for you. :cherryblossom:

Last edited:

ThirtyThree

What is with the growing number of people who believe the Earth is flat? Even the President of The United States made a joke about such people, relegating them to the same realm as those who ignorantly deny the reality of Climate Change, which by the way is what more people should be concerned about.

tjgillies

What is with the growing number of people who believe the Earth is flat? Even the President of The United States made a joke about such people, relegating them to the same realm as those who ignorantly deny the reality of Climate Change, which by the way is what more people should be concerned about.

The entire universe is flat. We are just a hologram man