• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Bang Theory is dead.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I was thinking about you and wondered if you think a messiah/deliverer for the Jews will come.
I suppose I passively accept the teaching, but to be really honest, I really haven't put a lot of thought into it. The Orthodox Jews I know believe a very literal messiah will come and rule Israel during an idyllic era of peace on earth. The Reform Jews I know believe that the messiah is a metaphor, that what really matters is each of us working to create that idyllic era. But quite honestly, I just haven't given much thought to what I personally believe on the issue. It's just not all that important. My concern is how best to love God and my neighbor. That's where I put my thought.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
She read to you in Hebrew?
My earliest teachings were from a picture book. I still remember many of its pictures. I must have been two or three. She began reading an English translation of the Torah to me when I was six or seven. My Hebrew education is not the best. There was a time when I could muddle through the Torah in Hebrew, but because I didn't put the time into it, I lost the skill. Today, I know enough Hebrew to follow along in the Siddur, and that's about it.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I suppose I passively accept the teaching, but to be really honest, I really haven't put a lot of thought into it. The Orthodox Jews I know believe a very literal messiah will come and rule Israel during an idyllic era of peace on earth. The Reform Jews I know believe that the messiah is a metaphor, that what really matters is each of us working to create that idyllic era. But quite honestly, I just haven't given much thought to what I personally believe on the issue. It's just not all that important. My concern is how best to love God and my neighbor. That's where I put my thought.
I know it's a tough one...but you believe there is a God? I would say that's primary to consider doctrine.

YoursTrue

My earliest teachings were from a picture book. I still remember many of its pictures. I must have been two or three. She began reading an English translation of the Torah to me when I was six or seven. My Hebrew education is not the best. There was a time when I could muddle through the Torah in Hebrew, but because I didn't put the time into it, I lost the skill. Today, I know enough Hebrew to follow along in the Siddur, and that's about it.
Better than nothing. I have two haggadahs both English and Hebrew. There is some very interesting commentary in one of them about history revealing what the book of Esther actually says. And how recent findings confirm some details.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The king James Bible is a pretty good translation and it doesn't say what polymath is saying so maybe we'll have to go into the Greek or Hebrew to figure it out if we quibble. Polymath is misinterpreting because he used a misleading translation, for a person with insight, it is in harmony with the Genesis account.. Here is how the King James version puts it:
  • 5For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
Earth standing out of water in the water. Just as it is today and as described in Genesis.
But that is not what the Earth is like at all. It only has thin skin of water that covers 2/3 of the surface The Earth is not "sticking out". There are just areas that are wet. You need to consider the whole Earth, not just the very very small part of it were we can live.

YoursTrue

Once again, you post something that is irrelevant to what another poster (me in this case) has written. Are you going for some sort of record for that?
I enjoy reading about close or not so close genetics. :) And sometimes commenting that chimpanzees do not write their history, do not invent instruments. Like I say, What a Difference a Few Genes Make....

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I enjoy reading about close or not so close genetics. :) And sometimes commenting that chimpanzees do not write their history, do not invent instruments. Like I say, What a Difference a Few Genes Make....
I have no interest.

YoursTrue

Once again, you post something that is irrelevant to what another poster (me in this case) has written. Are you going for some sort of record for that?
Oh sorry I forget why it is irrelevant. I mean maybe it is and maybe it isn't. Whatever it is.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
That's fine. It seems apparent that the closeness and now maybe not so close still has not enabled chimps to write down their history and experiences.
I think the chimps are and that maybe they aren't, but also sometimes they do.

YoursTrue

KJV was produced from later originals than the translation I am using, which attempts a close to literal translation into english.
Ok which translation are you using? Let me guess...the NIV...? But there are others and I did check the Greek interlinear. Each one to his own understanding I guess because the Greek interlinear doesn't say what you have said. Kind of like in the eyes of the beholder.