• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Bang Theory is dead.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Actually I'm not bothered by you. Sorry you feel you cannot or do not want to answer some questions. As to particularly why you believe in God or don't believe in God. Have a good day and I'm sure you wish me the same.

Maybe you can explain to me why some Christians feel the need to attack other Christians to the point of stalking them around various threads on the forum insulting them for being the wrong kind of Christian. Seems unchristian to me but I'm not a Christian so wouldn't know.

I've never seen Atheists attacking other Atheists for being the wrong kind of Atheist.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Since you bring up matter of faith, what is your reason beyond imagination that you say you believe in God?
My belief in God is based on my intuition that there is agency behind the universe. However, I am the first to admit that intuition can steer you wrong, so I may be making a mistake. Humans are well known to intuit agency when none exists. However, given that we can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God, I feel comfortable opting for what I intuit.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My belief in God is based on my intuition that there is agency behind the universe. However, I am the first to admit that intuition can steer you wrong, so I may be making a mistake. Humans are well known to intuit agency when none exists. However, given that we can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God, I feel comfortable opting for what I intuit.
I do not have much of a problem at all with this sort of belief. One can even be members of any of the major religions and still approach it this way. I think that if there is a god this attitude is far more likely to lead to the actual deity than demanding an ancient text loaded with errors and morals that no longer work as an "irrefutable" source would. Nor am I worried at all about someone with this attitude of trying to use their religious beliefs to tell others what they can and cannot do. Though I might not call your beliefs 100% rational they are definitely far more rational than many here. To be honest I am sure that not all of my beliefs are "100% rational;" either. Rational thought is a constant goal of mine. If one assumes that one has achieved it that person is almost always wrong.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
In your intuition has this what you call agency related instructions for people to follow? Or is it each as he sees fit?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
In your intuition has this what you call agency related instructions for people to follow? Or is it each as he sees fit?
Sacred texts are written by men. These men try their hardest to correctly convey what they think is true about God and what God wants. But being human, they make mistakes.

I greatly, greatly value the Jewish sacred texts. They are priceless to my people. They inform us what it means to be a Jew. The Torah brings me closer to God, and assists me in being a better person. Like I said, priceless.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
**MOD POST**

RULE 8 REMINDER

8. Preaching/Proselytizing
Creating (or linking to) content intended to convert/recruit others to your religion, spirituality, sect/denomination, or lack thereof is not permitted. Similarly, attempting to convert others away from their religion, spiritual convictions, or sect/denomination will also be considered a form of preaching. Stating opinions as a definitive matter of fact (i.e., without "I believe/feel/think" language, and/or without references) may be moderated as preaching.

Any opinions presented as definitive matter of fact without qualifiers expressing opinion after this post will be moderated per Rule 8 of the RF Rules.

YoursTrue

Sacred texts are written by men. These men try their hardest to correctly convey what they think is true about God and what God wants. But being human, they make mistakes.

I greatly, greatly value the Jewish sacred texts. They are priceless to my people. They inform us what it means to be a Jew. The Torah brings me closer to God, and assists me in being a better person. Like I said, priceless.
.I can appreciate your appreciation of the sacred texts. We do have different viewpoints about them, however, because I believe they were written by men but inspired by God. I'm glad you think it helps you to be a better person. I know in my case, imperfect as I know I am, I have made distinct changes in my way of life since I began to better understand these writings. Shalom.

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
A question perhaps you might wonder about (I certainly do) is why some people here say they believe in God or something like that, go to a house of religious worship perhaps, say they belong to this or that religion, and are not willing to provide evidence for their pro-God beliefs, if they have any? Or even discuss it, but constantly are posting anti-biblical ideas?
And this campaign of yours to demean other Christians is why I don't want to associate with you.

Are you going to follow me around for another 8 months again, making these insulting, passive aggressive snide comments. Oh joy.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Actually I'm not bothered by you.
That doesn't fit the evidence.
Sorry you feel you cannot or do not want to answer some questions.
Not irrelevant questions, no, I'm not going to answer those.
As to particularly why you believe in God or don't believe in God.
You well know that I believe in God. This is just more of the same sort of campaign you have been running since April. You can believe whatever you want about me. You are not my judge. I find the attempts to be very insulting.
Have a good day and I'm sure you wish me the same.
You'd think wouldn't you.

YoursTrue

More proselytising.
Really I don't think so, even though I do not necessarily agree with her interpretation. That is obviously @SavedByTheLord's belief. I have not examined the King James Version for errors but I do believe it is a pretty good translation and we do not really understand all of old English now, plus some words can have different but proper translations from older texts in Greek and Hebrew.

YoursTrue

And this campaign of yours to demean other Christians is why I don't want to associate with you.

Are you going to follow me around for another 8 months again, making these insulting, passive aggressive snide comments. Oh joy.
I do find your comments interesting. I doubt I will follow you around though but if I see a comment of yours that I find interesting I may make a reply.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Really I don't think so, even though I do not necessarily agree with her interpretation. That is obviously @SavedByTheLord's belief. I have not examined the King James Version for errors but I do believe it is a pretty good translation and we do not really understand all of old English now, plus some words can have different but proper translations from older texts in Greek and Hebrew.
Since it is almost identical to other versions it pretty much has the same errors. If anything it is more likely to have even more.

YoursTrue

That doesn't fit the evidence.

Not irrelevant questions, no, I'm not going to answer those.

You well know that I believe in God. This is just more of the same sort of campaign you have been running since April. You can believe whatever you want about me. You are not my judge. I find the attempts to be very insulting.

You'd think wouldn't you.
Ah...thank you. I was wondering. I was not sure. I could not recall. Of course yes, there are definitions and yes, I find it fascinating that some declare a belief in God but not the instruments (such as the Bible) upon which the declared religion bases its concepts. Thank you. I probably won't forget that you say you believe in God. I find that fascinating as I do with others. :)

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

So to state it is without error without providing any evidence to back up the claim is proselytising and can be ignored.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Ah...thank you. I was wondering. I was not sure. I could not recall. Of course yes, there are definitions and yes, I find it fascinating that some declare a belief in God but not the instruments (such as the Bible) upon which the declared religion bases its concepts. Thank you. I probably won't forget that you say you believe in God. I find that fascinating as I do with others. :)
You know well that I am Christian. You've made numerous comments about it over the years. And you also know that I never said I do not believe in the Bible. A different interpretation is not disbelief, but twist it how you like. It won't matter to me.