• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bright side of Atheism

Around

I feel very lucky because my upbringing was entirely secular. I didn't have to come to terms with the difference between what a religion taught and what was actually happening. I was already okay with everything how it is.

As an adult, I have experienced no down sides to non-belief and many up sides. I do not have to conform to a list-based morality because I am able to determine for myself what is moral. I do not have to think things which are unsubstantiated because I am able to determine for myself what is true and what is important.

Plus, I am not held to a single traditional set of holidays and so I celebrate them all.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The bright-side of atheism...

No one asking you to prove there is a God.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
..experience tells me that Atheism has no dark sides, nor negative aspects..

Good for you mate, now you can die laughing like Christians do..:)
Incidentally can anybody explain these stickers that Dawks and his chums plastered over Brit buses at gigantic expense?-
Firstly, "probably" is not a very scientific word, it must mean between 51% and 99% inclusive which is pretty vague isn't it?
Secondly does "now stop worrying" mean atheists are worried about something?

atheistbus.gif

I was attempting to be humorous. Belief in god doesnt determine belief in spirituality. I cant imagine an atheist being mad of someone not being true atheist lol.

Actually, i find it quite annoying hearing someone who claims to be an atheist cursing and screaming about how awful god is. And just to make it clear for the many christians I've spoken to who don't get it (not an insignificant number) , you can't hate something you don't believe exists. :slap:

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Actually, i find it quite annoying hearing someone who claims to be an atheist cursing and screaming about how awful god is. And just to make it clear for the many christians I've spoken to who don't get it (not an insignificant number) , you can't hate something you don't believe exists. :slap:

Sure you can! I hate Sauron, I hate Loki, and I love Lady Gaga. None of them exist.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheism actually doesn't give me a damn thing. That's what I like about it. It neither demands, nor promises, nor provides.
It's almost like it doesn't exist at all, ya know?

So I am free to just get on with my life.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Incidentally can anybody explain these stickers that Dawks and his chums plastered over Brit buses at gigantic expense?-
Firstly, "probably" is not a very scientific word, it must mean between 51% and 99% inclusive which is pretty vague isn't it?

I don't think they were trying to write a scientific treatise on the side of a bus. Instead, I think they were using the word 'probable' to indicate it was likely. This is more honest than making up a statistic (Eg. God is 97.3% unlikely to exists), or suggesting that 'Christians die laughing'.

The point about 'now stop worrying' is aimed at people wrestling with God, what he's like, and whether he is against all sorts of behaviours. The only thing atheists consistently worry about as a broad group is the encroachment of religion into non-private areas. Some, of course, wouldn't even worry about that.

IN other senses, they're pretty normal folk who worry about mortgages, food, violence, raising teenagers, being teenagers and the potential for a zombie apocalypse. But since the topic of the bus was specifically about God, I'm deducing that the particular 'worry' referred to in this case was 'worry about God'.

Looncall

atheistbus.gif

Wrong end of the stick. Religions work hard to get people to worry about sinning. That's how they make people obey clerics. If there is no god, there is no sin, and no need to worry about sin.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It's called honesty. They can't say with any certainty that there is no God, so they add the qualifier "probably".

Actually, that part is clearly addressing theists. It's pretty obvious that the whole thing is addressing theists, really. I have no idea how you got so muddled.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Atheism actually doesn't give me a damn thing. That's what I like about it. It neither demands, nor promises, nor provides.
It's almost like it doesn't exist at all, ya know?

So I am free to just get on with my life.

I agree with this.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Originally Posted by Shuttlecraft (re bus advert): does "now stop worrying" mean atheists are worried about something?
Actually, that part is clearly addressing theists. It's pretty obvious that the whole thing is addressing theists, really. I have no idea how you got so muddled.

But true Christians don't do "worry", so the adverts can't have been aimed at them, so Dawkins and his chums have wasted 150,000 GB pounds / 254.000 US dollars!
Atheist Bus Campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway just look around at the world; generally speaking atheists seem a tad jumpy and irritable, but most Christians seem kool, calm and confident, why is that?..;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But true Christians don't do "worry", so the adverts can't have been aimed at them, so Dawkins and his chums have wasted 150,000 GB pounds / 254.000 US dollars!

Anyway just look around at the world; generally speaking atheists seem a tad jumpy and irritable, but most Christians seem kool, calm and confident, why is that?..;)

Did you use the same sloppy reasoning when arriving at your religious beliefs as you use when trolling atheists?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

:popcorn:

I'm just getting comfy. I doubt anyone is stupid enough to come in and start ranting at such obvious bait, but if they do, I surely do want to be sitting in the front row, big fella.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Shuttlecraft: Anyway just look around at the world; generally speaking atheists seem a tad jumpy and irritable, but most Christians seem kool, calm and confident, why is that?
Did you use the same sloppy reasoning when arriving at your religious beliefs as you use when trolling atheists?

BRYNNER- "Sloppy with your drink mister, and sloppy reasoning when arriving at your religious beliefs"
SHUTTLECRAFT- "Nah mate, I don't do 'sloppy'"..:)

Westworld1_zpsba37c5c5.jpg

Last edited: