• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Death Penalty

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
A country fighting for survival can't afford to execute its own people when there are enough Palestinians willing to kill Israelis for no reason.

As far as I'm concerned, though it's not formally considered capital punishment, any time Israel causes the death of a terrorist, it is executing the death penalty.
Israel does not execute Palestinian terrorists with blood on their hands who have been arrested by the Israeli security forces.
there is a big difference between tactical assassinations and capital punishment.

Poisonshady313

1,173 people have been executed in the US since 1976.

How many people do you suppose have been convicted of murder since 1976?

Do you think 1,173 is even half of 1% of all convicted murderers since 1976?

You can't say what affect the death penalty would have on deterrence until it's a practical matter, instead of a theoretical one.

Poisonshady313

A very ugly post. That is just cheap, foul racism. I sincerely hope you grow out of it.

What... you figure white people are above the law? The government is out to get black people?

Can it be possible that there are more black people in prison because more black people have committed violent crimes?

Or should all prisons have an equal number of prisoners from each ethnicity? It certainly wouldn't be just.... but then you couldn't say it was racist.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
The death penalty is barbaric.
The irony of those who claim to love God, supporting murder by the state gives me a morbid laugh.

This is the line that has been blurred. Most people do not know what murder even means anymore. They definitely do not know the difference between capital punishment and murder. It is not murder to put to a murderer to death as a result of his own actions. Or would you rather keep him around for him to escape or be paroled and released back into civilization so that he can do it again and harm even more innocents. I bet if Charles Manson was released into your back yard you would develop a different opinion of the situation very quickly.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Or would you rather keep him around for him to escape or be paroled and released back into civilization so that he can do it again and harm even more innocents.

Please name one person who has escaped from an American supermax prison?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
The death penalty is mad.
It violates the right to life as proclaimed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Ninety three percent of all known executions took place in five countries: China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and the USA. Is this where the USA wants to be?
The country which has carried out more documented executions of child offenders than any other since 1990 is the USA.
Is this where the USA wants to be?
I'll say it again. A state murdering it's own citizens is in headbanger territory. It is just mad.
Edit - I got my figures from the Amnesty International website.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Please name one person who has escaped from an American supermax prison?

Prison escape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia shows quite a few. This one sticks out specifically just for you.

• On December 15, 2007 inmates Jose Espinosa and Otis Blunt escaped from the high-security level of the Union County jail in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Espinosa was awaiting sentencing on an aggravated manslaughter charge, while Blunt was being held in lieu of bond on robbery and weapons charges. They escaped by scraping away the mortar around the cinder blocks making up the cell walls. They then smashed the block, hid the pieces in a footlocker and covered the holes with pin-up pictures. To delay knowledge of the escape, they made dummies out of sheets and pillowcases and left them in their beds. Espinosa was recaptured on Tuesday, January 8, 2008. Blunt was recaptured the following day Wednesday, January 9, 2008 in Mexico City, Mexico.
Granted they were recaptured, but it is a possible to escape and the danger is there, that is why max security prisons take so much precaution.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Prison escape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia shows quite a few. This one sticks out specifically just for you.

• On December 15, 2007 inmates Jose Espinosa and Otis Blunt escaped from the high-security level of the Union County jail in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Espinosa was awaiting sentencing on an aggravated manslaughter charge, while Blunt was being held in lieu of bond on robbery and weapons charges. They escaped by scraping away the mortar around the cinder blocks making up the cell walls. They then smashed the block, hid the pieces in a footlocker and covered the holes with pin-up pictures. To delay knowledge of the escape, they made dummies out of sheets and pillowcases and left them in their beds. Espinosa was recaptured on Tuesday, January 8, 2008. Blunt was recaptured the following day Wednesday, January 9, 2008 in Mexico City, Mexico.
Granted they were recaptured, but it is a possible to escape and the danger is there, that is why max security prisons take so much precaution.

A supermax prison is not a local jail. Do you know of anyone who has escaped from a supermax prison?

Enoch07

Premium Member
How many innocent people have been executed in comparison?

With the amount of evidence it takes to prove and convict someone of murder + number of appeals etc. I would say (my opinion) a very small % (less than 1%) of innocents have been wrongly executed. My opinion is all I can give but it is a honest one. Everywhere I look for info on wrongly executed murderers does not give a number at all. If you can find a reliable source publish it for us.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Everywhere I look for info on wrongly executed murderers does not give a number at all. If you can find a reliable source publish it for us.
As I understand it once a person is executed there is normally no way of demonstrating their innocence because lawyers etc. move on.
On the other hand there have been many post conviction DNA exonerations. There are figures here.The Innocence Project - News and Information: Fact Sheets

Enoch07

Premium Member
A supermax prison is not a local jail. Do you know of anyone who has escaped from a supermax prison?

None that I can find, but then again we would not need supermax if people did not try to escape. ;)

Enoch07

Premium Member
As I understand it once a person is executed there is normally no way of demonstrating their innocence because lawyers etc. move on.
On the other hand there have been many post conviction DNA exonerations. There are figures here.The Innocence Project - News and Information: Fact Sheets

From your source.

This I understand and have no quarrels with.
• In more than 25 percent of cases in a National Institute of Justice study, suspects were excluded once DNA testing was conducted during the criminal investigation (the study, conducted in 1995, included 10,060 cases where testing was performed by FBI labs).

This on the other hand is a loop hole for releasing possible guilty inmates.
• 22 percent of cases closed by the Innocence Project since 2004 were closed because of lost or missing evidence.

Over the course of 10, 20, 30 years evidence gets lost, stolen, misplaced, mislabeled, etc. What can be done about it? It sounds simple on paper to keep evidence stored properly but if you have ever worked in a warehouse or anything of the like then you know that stuff gets misplaced and lost just due to human error.

Here is another loop hole created by the alleged murderers themselves. They falsely confess.
• False confessions and incriminating statements lead to wrongful convictions in approximately 25 percent of cases.

Like I said the justice system is not perfect (human error), but then again nothing is. I would rather take the loss of an innocent man being executed wrongly then have a murderer slip away and kill freely.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Look at some facts.
Ireland - No death penalty - murder rate per 100,000 in 2007=0.32
USA - Death penalty - murder rate per 100,000 in 2007= 5.6
sources Ireland the safest country in Europe, report says - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie
United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2008

Part of that is due to the elimination of the IRA. After the extreme violence and murders committed by the IRA I would say that the Irish are tired of seeing death and destruction Provisional Irish Republican Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.