• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Debate of God.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Well then...making something and growing something?...the difference?

How about?..... God made Man.
No.
Too many people think that was an act of creation.

"Creation" from what? Where did the original material come from which God used to "create" Man and everything else? Are you saying that the creator-God created the world ex nihilo?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
"Creation" from what? Where did the original material come from which God used to "create" Man and everything else? Are you saying that the creator-God created the world ex nihilo?

Haven't really considered the singularity.....have you?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
'Spiritual' is relative to 'physical', but the physical (ie; the singularity) did not yet exist when the 'spiritual' allegedly brought it into existence. So we cannot call it 'spiritual'. What is it?

God the Creator is not spirit?

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
One suggestion is simply to respond to the various ideas of God as they arise in the discussion. In other words, speak to others in the language they are using to define God. If someone believes in a creator-God, speak to them within that context, etc.

Ahaha, rather well put. So, what is your stance?

feelgood

Quote from Christopher Hitchens spiced with bad paraphrasing: religion was a primitive attempt at science and it tried to explain the questions why and how.

Nowadays we know better, and actually have acceptable answers to many of the big questions out there. It is irrational to still use a higher entity as an answer.
I have to admit that when i'm thinking about things that i cannot fully understand and may never be able to understand, the explanation that god did it seems quite tempting but i just can't accept that. The complexity that i see everywhere, the beauty of it all, it cannot be explained so easily. I must push further, i must understand more. And the more I understand, the more my opinion goes to the direction that there is no god.

I have to share one thing that keeps haunting me about all the religions out there:

The data of a religion usually has passed through generations of humans. Think about even you, reader (if anyone's even reading this lol) distort your own stories that have just happened. It may seem innocent and it most likely is, but you add a little bit more spice to the actual truth. This does not happen every time but i hope you get the point.
Now think about the scenario where a story about a prophet or a god has been told millennias ago. What would that story sound like now? How can we know if somebody or many people has altered it to his own liking and hid the proof of their doing, and most importantly how can you accept a story like this as the truth?

There are many variables to take into consideration in a simple scenario like this because of the relatively long timeframe, and i'm not going to list all of them, just one:

People lie.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Once again:

By what reference do you determine that something is spirit?

As evasion seems your preference.....
You don't know the difference?

Still insist you are one with God?
And you don't know what spirit is?

We are separate of God.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Still insist you are one with God?
And you don't know what spirit is?

We are separate of God.

If you are separate of God, then how is it that you know God to be a spirit?

Answer the question, and stop beating 'round the bush:

By what reference do you determine what spirit is?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If you are separate of God, then how is it that you know God to be a spirit?

Answer the question, and stop beating 'round the bush:

By what reference do you determine what spirit is?

As in burning bush?

If God is not spirit and you are one with God....
You are God in the flesh?

godnotgod

Thou art That
As in burning bush?

I don't know! That is what I am asking YOU! But, you see, you have, in this example, had to use a PHYSICAL reference to allude to that which you call SPIRITUAL.

So how do you determine that something is spiritual?

If God is not spirit and you are one with God....
You are God in the flesh?

You keep trying to corner me on this one, but your definitions are unclear. I am not saying whether God is spirit or not; all I am saying, in terms of your original allusion to the singularity, is that when you say 'spirit', you automatically imply 'physical', and vice-versa. So prior to the creation of singularity, what is the nature of God? Please understand that I do not necessarily believe in this scenario, but am only using YOURS to ask a question.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't know! That is what I am asking YOU! But, you see, you have, in this example, had to use a PHYSICAL reference to allude to that which you call SPIRITUAL.

So how do you determine that something is spiritual?

You keep trying to corner me on this one, but your definitions are unclear. I am not saying whether God is spirit or not; all I am saying, in terms of your original allusion to the singularity, is that when you say 'spirit', you automatically imply 'physical', and vice-versa. So prior to the creation of singularity, what is the nature of God? Please understand that I do not necessarily believe in this scenario, but am only using YOURS to ask a question.

The burning bush was a spiritual experience for Moses...no doubt.

And your complaint of my lack of definition is false.
Any third party reading this can see the point.

You on the other hand refuse to be cornered....declaring all of this as illusion

godnotgod

Thou art That
The burning bush was a spiritual experience for Moses...no doubt.

And your complaint of my lack of definition is false.
Any third party reading this can see the point.

You on the other hand refuse to be cornered....declaring all of this as illusion

Come now, Thief. Now you're clutching at straws, with no ground to stand on.

You were not there with Moses to verify the authenticity of any so-called 'burning bush'. For all anyone knows, it was a hallucination or a dream, or worse, a real burning bush interpreted as a 'sign from God', with embellishments added as time went on.

...like the talking fish story...

...or the Tower of Babel story..

...or the water into wine story...

...or the resurrection and ascension story....

virgin birth, parting the Red Sea, raising from the dead, Johah's whale, ad nauseum.....

Maybe it all took place on the Good Ship Lollipop, eh, where Invisible Pink Unicorns danced into the night, and a good time was had by all...
.:biglaugh:

'Burning bush': again a PHYSICAL reference to describe the SPIRITUAL

Last edited: