• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Easyway to Stop Smoking

atanu

Premium Member
-----

I've read the book several times... given the book/recommended the book to several people who once thought they couldn't stop smoking, and now are happy non-smokers, as if they had never started. Even a few folks here at RF have read the book and successfully quit smoking after hearing about it from this thread.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

I can endorse this from personal experience. For me, the time was probably ripe for quitting a poisonous habit of more than 35 years. But the book made it easy by clearing away all kinds of mental blocks and helping to believe that quitting is actually joy.

Poisonshady313

A bit of happy news... I recommended the book to a friend of mine a while ago... this friend of mine didn't smoke, but her sister did. I learned just recently that her sister used the audiobook to successfully quit smoking. She listened to it in sections broken up over the course of two weeks, often listening while smoking during her lunch break.

It feels good to make a recommendation that positively affects someone's life.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I admit to being really lazy and not reading this post so sorry if this is off topic:

If you take an easy way out, you leave behind an easy way back in. I think that the difficulty and struggle that comes with quitting is really the biggest benefit. Having gone through a couple addictions myself (however non-cigarettes) I realized that I put so much effort into stopping that if I decided to start back up again all of that hard work would've been for nothing. Knowing how much effort you put into it proves to yourself how much you really wanted to quit, and proves that you have at least at one time saw a future without it.

Poisonshady313

I admit to being really lazy and not reading this post so sorry if this is off topic:

If you take an easy way out, you leave behind an easy way back in. I think that the difficulty and struggle that comes with quitting is really the biggest benefit. Having gone through a couple addictions myself (however non-cigarettes) I realized that I put so much effort into stopping that if I decided to start back up again all of that hard work would've been for nothing. Knowing how much effort you put into it proves to yourself how much you really wanted to quit, and proves that you have at least at one time saw a future without it.

I think I see where you're going with this, and philosophically it's admirable (I think).

But it kinda misses the point of the program.

Once you've gotten out after seeing nicotine addiction from Allen Carr's perspective, the only way back in is to completely ignore or forget what you've learned. It's like the magician revealing the secrets of his illusion to you, and then you still believe he's really sawing the pretty girl in half.

Stopping smoking doesn't have to be traumatic. It doesn't have to be a struggle.

The belief that stopping smoking is a struggle prevents many smokers from attempting to quit. Many decide they'd rather live shorter, happier lives as smokers than go through life miserably as an ex-smoker after going through the torture of withdrawals.

And what if they go through the struggle and come out the other end still smoking? The feeling that "If I decide to start back up again all of that hard work would've been for nothing" isn't enough to stop a lot of attempting-to-quit smokers from starting back up again. (There's a lot that isn't enough to stop a lot of attempted quitters from starting back up again. I've seen someone smoking shortly after a chemotherapy treatment for lung cancer caused by smoking.) Those people will have put themselves through hell, wind up right back where they started, but now they're discouraged because they're even more convinced that they'll never successfully quit, or that the hell they'll have to go through will be even worse because what they went through already apparently wasn't enough.

This leads to shame, hopelessness, depression, anxiety, and stress. Stress which smokers believe can be relieved by smoking. Who knows how long it'll be before they try again, if they ever do decide to try again?

Easyway isn't about seeing how long one can last/survive without a smoke. It's not about going through life dealing with cravings and urges.

It's about completely removing the desire to smoke even before the final cigarette is put out. When there is no longer a conflict of will ("I want to smoke" vs "I can't/shouldn't smoke), one doesn't require willpower to abstain from smoking.

Poisonshady313

On the third page of this thread, I was asked why I'm so passionate about this book. Here was my answer.

I'm not entirely sure. I found the book by accident. I was just walking up and down the aisles of a bookstore, the book cover caught my attention. I thought to myself, I know a great many smokers in my life, and quitting never seemed easy, so what could he have to say? And how easy could it be if it takes about 200 pages to say it?

I had some time to kill, so I read the book. I ran out of time, hadn't finished the book yet, so I bought it, took it home, finished it.

It made an impact on me. I don't know how, I don't know why, it just did. So I figured I'd see if it was worth the $15. So I started talking to my uncle about it. He was very skeptical at first, thought the success rate claims were just to ensure book sales, and having tried so many times, so many ways to quit smoking, he was sure it wasn't easy. So I gave him my copy of the book, asked him to read the whole thing with an open mind and to follow the instructions.

It was thanksgiving when I gave him the book. In December, he told me that Carr was patting himself on the back in the first few chapters just to promote the book, but the stuff about addiction made a lot of sense to him, and he'd finish reading it soon.

Next time I heard from him was in January. He told me he put the book on hold for a bit, but one day his smoker's cough bothered him enough to get him serious about reading through to the end of the book, and that from the moment he put the book down, he knew he was done smoking forever. He couldn't believe he had gone on smoking for as long as he has, and every time he'd mention cigarettes he'd refer to them as poison. A man who nobody ever thought would stop smoking. He's been a happy non-smoker without any cravings or urges since January of 2010.

Something about the whole situation struck a chord with me, and so I bought another copy of the book, downloaded the audio book, searched out youtube videos of Allen Carr talking about his method. I have had opportunities to recommend the book, for example to a couple in the waiting room at a doctor's office arguing about one of them not being able to stop smoking and the other one had gone through a bypass surgery because of smoking and he very desperately craved a cigarette. I started talking about the book, mentioned my uncle's story, talked about how the method works... and I could see that they weren't bored or fed up with me, but they were listening attentively and wanted to hear more. I know I made an impact because the woman went ahead and wrote the title and author down so she could get herself a copy of the book.

Recently, for no apparent reason, I've been thinking a lot about it, and I've wanted to talk about it and recommend it and see it work for other people, but I refuse to approach smokers who don't explicitly mention that they're trying to quit because smokers smoking is none of my business. But if someone starts talking to me about their numerous failed quit attempts, or that they've just started thinking about trying to quit, I'll mention Easyway because I believe it's the right thing to do.

So I started a thread here, figuring smokers who want to go on smoking won't bother, people who are generally curious will ask questions, and smokers who are trying to quit will also come by and ask questions. That way, I can talk about something I'm strangely driven to talk about to people who can decide whether they want to read anything I say or not.

I don't know if that sufficiently answers your question... but there ya go.

Nearly 5 and half years later, he's still a non-smoker. No cravings. No urges. No withdrawals. No desire whatsoever to smoke.

It's a great method, doesn't cost a lot, and is worth a shot for anyone having difficulty quitting.

As I've said before... if you enjoy smoking and wish to go on smoking, it's none of my business. Easyway isn't an anti-smoking organization. It's a way for people who want to quit to be able to do so easily.

Anyone who wants to know more, please feel free to ask.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Dentyne fire and cinnamon sticks worked for me. Walked around smelling like a furnace and cinnamon, but it worked.

yZys8cs.jpg
LbdNZRk.jpg

Nicotine isn't easy to quit. You really want to have to quit, tit for tat works really well with nicotine.

I made it a year straight without lighting up. I smoke when I drink now.

4consideration

Premium Member
A bit of happy news... I recommended the book to a friend of mine a while ago... this friend of mine didn't smoke, but her sister did. I learned just recently that her sister used the audiobook to successfully quit smoking. She listened to it in sections broken up over the course of two weeks, often listening while smoking during her lunch break.

It feels good to make a recommendation that positively affects someone's life.
I just ordered this book you're talking about, from the local library.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
God forbid you're allergic to cinnamon though. I had a room mate that was, couldn't even chew my dentyne fire around him without a breakout. What a cruel world the man lived in with cinnamon as his enemy.

Poisonshady313

Dentyne fire and cinnamon sticks worked for me. Walked around smelling like a furnace and cinnamon, but it worked.

yZys8cs.jpg
LbdNZRk.jpg

Nicotine isn't easy to quit. You really want to have to quit, tit for tat works really well with nicotine.

I made it a year straight without lighting up. I smoke when I drink now.

Had you known about this gem, you probably could have saved yourself some money:

img-thing

Poisonshady313

I see, and do you just light the cinnamon stick and smoke it like a cigarette, I don't smoke myself but I have a friend who is trying to give up.
Dunno. That's Whiterain's suggestion. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Easyway method.

I recommend you get your friend a copy of the book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr. It's inexpensive, easy to read, and it really works.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Dunno. That's Whiterain's suggestion. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Easyway method.

I recommend you get your friend a copy of the book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr. It's inexpensive, easy to read, and it really works.
Yep, sounds good, thanks a lot.

MD

qualiaphile
I smoked for years, quite cold turkey one day but it didn't last.

However the secret was to never buy a pack. So I had to rely on friends and bumming and over time the embarrassment got to me and my cravings diminished, plus I started exercising.

Eventually I would have the cravings once a month or once every other month, and then one day they were gone.