• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Easyway to Stop Smoking

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Not to be insulting but I have noticed that those who can give up smoking, are much more intelligent and have a strong nature about them, its just what I have noticed over the years.

Poisonshady313

That is why I said smoking is more than just a nicotine addiction.

I think you misread my statement.

"the reason they don't work isn't because they fail to satisfy an oral or manual fixation."
The lack of something to do with your hands isn't the reason they fail. The fear of quitting is the reason they fail.

They can satisfy the oral and manual fixation, and they allow someone to better control the amount of nicotine going in.

It's almost always less nicotine than you'd get from a cigarette, which is why so many people who vape switch right back to regular cigs... or in some cases, use both.

There is never the situation of lighting up a cigarette, needed just a couple drags to take the edge of craving off, and being stuck with a nearly-full cigarette going to waste. You can get your couple drags and be done.
I wouldn't say never. I've seen smokers clip (i.e. save for later) partially smoked cigarettes because a couple of drags was enough to hold them over for a while.

Heroine addiction has been shown to be best treated with heroine,
That's just plain false.
and I do believe the best way to treat nicotine addiction with a system that delivers nicotine while imitating the action of smoking.
I disagree strongly with you on this matter. What you suggest is like treating alcohol addiction by having an alcoholic switch from liquor to beer.
You don't have to beat yourself up to quit,
That I can agree with. Allen Carr's Easyway doesn't involve any form of beating one's self up.
and with e-cigs it's much more easier to gently let yourself down.
Except quitting nicotine doesn't work like that. Every new dose of nicotine, even if it's smaller than the last one, instigates the craving for more. If anything, switching to ecigs can make it much harder to quit.

Poisonshady313

Not to be insulting but I have noticed that those who can give up smoking, are much more intelligent and have a strong nature about them, its just what I have noticed over the years.

A lot of people who have a hard time quitting smoking are being given bad advice. There's nothing stupid or weak about them. Well, there might be, but that would be a coincidence, not directly related to whether or not they can quit smoking.

Poisonshady313

I nag him enuf about other things.....ain't add'n to his woe.
But he's sharp....he'd know of ecigs.

The joy of Easyway is that it is incredibly easy, and doesn't add to anyone's woe. I spent $15 on the hardcover version of the book. The paperback is probably cheaper. I gave it to my uncle who was smoking 2 packs per day for decades. Tried just about everything you could think of to quit. Once, a nearly successful attempt to quit was foiled because he noticed himself putting on a lot of weight very quickly.

But Easyway did the trick. No weight gain, no painful withdrawals. He put out his last cigarette in January of 2010 and doesn't miss it or have any cravings at all.

Even if he decided to swtich to e-cigs, he could still benefit from Easyway to rid himself of his nicotine addiction.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It's almost always less nicotine than you'd get from a cigarette, which is why so many people who vape switch right back to regular cigs... or in some cases, use both.
This is not true. While you can get less than the average cigarette, you can also get high doses of nicotine. I even seen one company use "Marlboro Red" as a nicotine strength reference. I've also not known many to go from smoking to vaping and back to smoking, and those who use both seem to be rare. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but generally people use on or the other, and there even seems to be an emerging vaping sub-culture which puts vaping on an "uppity" type of pedestal.
I wouldn't say never. I've seen smokers clip (i.e. save for later) partially smoked cigarettes because a couple of drags was enough to hold them over for a while.
You probably haven't seen many of them because relighting a cigarette makes them taste horrible.

Poisonshady313

This is not true. While you can get less than the average cigarette, you can also get high doses of nicotine. I even seen one company use "Marlboro Red" as a nicotine strength reference.

"In this study a liquid with 18 mg/ml nicotine concentration was chosen, based on previous findings from our group showing that this is approximately the level of nicotine concentration needed for experienced vapers to consume 1 mg of nicotine in 5 minutes (which is similar to the level of nicotine in the smoke of one cigarette when smoked according to ISO 3308). Despite that, the main findings herein showed that such a liquid is insufficient to deliver nicotine to the blood stream as rapidly as smoking. In fact, it took about 35 minutes of vaping with the new-generation device at high wattage in order to obtain plasma levels similar to smoking one cigarette in 5 minutes."
Nicotine absorption from electronic cigarette use: comparison between first and new-generation devices : Scientific Reports : Nature Publishing Group

You're right, you can get higher doses of nicotine. But according to these numbers, one would have to vape with 36 mg/ml nicotine for 15 minutes to obtain plasma levels similar to smoking one cigarette in 5 minutes.

I've also not known many to go from smoking to vaping and back to smoking, and those who use both seem to be rare. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but generally people use on or the other, and there even seems to be an emerging vaping sub-culture which puts vaping on an "uppity" type of pedestal.

Most of the people I know who vape or have vaped fall into either category. Plus there are no shortage of such stories on smoking forums, vaping forums, youtube vids, youtube comments, etc...

You probably haven't seen many of them because relighting a cigarette makes them taste horrible.
You'd be surprised.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A lot of people who have a hard time quitting smoking are being given bad advice. There's nothing stupid or weak about them. Well, there might be, but that would be a coincidence, not directly related to whether or not they can quit smoking.
On the other hand, one would expect people who are all-around more resourceful and in control of their circunstances to have a better success rate in quitting, other factors being equal, don't you think? There may be a correlation, even if it is dangerous to read too much into it.

Then again, I'm not sure that would make much of a difference. There is hardly ever a situation where people would have reason to repent stopping smoking. If it was a difficult conquest, so much more reason to praise it happening.

BTW, I don't think I have thanked you enough for establishing and replying in this thread. Thanks.

Poisonshady313

On the other hand, one would expect people who are all-around more resourceful and in control of their circunstances to have a better success rate in quitting, other factors being equal, don't you think? There may be a correlation, even if it is dangerous to read too much into it.

Then again, I'm not sure that would make much of a difference. There is hardly ever a situation where people would have reason to repent stopping smoking. If it was a difficult conquest, so much more reason to praise it happening.

BTW, I don't think I have thanked you enough for establishing and replying in this thread. Thanks.
You're welcome. Thank you for appreciating it. :)

Poisonshady313

Allen Carr smoked 3-5 packs per day for 33 years, attempted to quit dozens of times before it finally worked. He was a successful chartered accountant, a husband, a father. To quote the man, he was "in control of all other aspects of my life..." Sounds like a rather resourceful fellow. Certainly not a man one could call weak or stupid.

It wasn't until he learned to view smoking from a completely different perspective that he not only quit easily and permanently, but figured out how to help others to do the same.

Think of Plato's allegory of the cave. The prisoners in the cave aren't stupid or weak for believing that the shadows are the true form of reality. They just don't know any better. It's all they've ever experienced.

Poisonshady313

It does have interesting extrapolations for other fields as well. But I digress.
You're right about other fields as well. He's got books to help people with a variety of different things people often struggle with. Drinking, weight loss, fear of flying, etc... and it's all based on the method he developed on how to stop smoking easily.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think the general principle that people may learn better than they imagine possible and as a result attain significant changes in their lives can go even further, even to the point of healing , say, racism. But I am truly digressing, much as I enjoy doing it in this case.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Well I am just sharing what I myself have observed.

4consideration

Premium Member
I'm glad to hear it. Congratulations! :thumbsup:
I feel like I ought to tell you something. (I'm still not smoking.)

The first time I noticed this thread was a couple of years ago. I remember just seeing the title of it and...I growled...out loud. I think I also said something smippy, like, "Easy for you to say." I felt angry about just seeing the thread title.

One of my family members heard me, and asked, "Did you just growl?" It was my defensive reaction that was pretty typical, sort of hostile if I thought someone was trying to talk to me about smoking.

My husband quit, too, at the same time as me. He's using his own approach.

I have to say, I had quit before and in the past there was a period of time that was really unpleasant.

This time, I did find it easy. I changed the conversation in my head about smoking. I don't long/yearn for it.

There were some health issues that were starting to scream at me, and I can't pretend they aren't related to smoking. I am breathing much better lately.

Thank you. I have a feeling it may have saved my life.

Poisonshady313

I feel like I ought to tell you something. (I'm still not smoking.)

The first time I noticed this thread was a couple of years ago. I remember just seeing the title of it and...I growled...out loud. I think I also said something smippy, like, "Easy for you to say." I felt angry about just seeing the thread title.

One of my family members heard me, and asked, "Did you just growl?" It was my defensive reaction that was pretty typical, sort of hostile if I thought someone was trying to talk to me about smoking.

My husband quit, too, at the same time as me. He's using his own approach.

I have to say, I had quit before and in the past there was a period of time that was really unpleasant.

This time, I did find it easy. I changed the conversation in my head about smoking. I don't long/yearn for it.

There were some health issues that were starting to scream at me, and I can't pretend they aren't related to smoking. I am breathing much better lately.

Thank you. I have a feeling it may have saved my life.
You're welcome. And thank you for sharing that with me.

The first time I saw the title of the book on the bookshelf at Barnes and Noble, my reaction was pure curiosity. So many of my friends and family members were/are smokers. I had seen many of them try to quit... talk about quitting... talk about how awful smoking was while they were busy smoking. The two thoughts that went on in my head were "Which way is the easy way?" (like I said... pure curiosity) and "If it's so easy, why does it take 200 pages to say it?"

Having time to kill, I sat down to read it in the store. And it made sense to me. Seemed perfectly logical. As one who has never smoked, there are so many ways I could never relate to it... but I kept reading. I needed to read the conclusion without just skipping to the end. I wanted to know what the way was. What did a person have to do to achieve success?

I ran out of time, so I bought the book to take it home with me. Didn't take me too long to finish once I got it home... and there was just something about it that made me feel positive it would truly be helpful. And when the opportunity to share it with someone it might help, my uncle, I put it to the test. I gave him my copy of the book (which I had re-read at least twice just so I could be more familiar with it) on Thanksgiving 2009. A few weeks later I asked how it was going. He was a bit put off by the beginning of the book, where you well know Carr spends a bit of time establishing his credentials as an ex smoker who helped thousands to quit... telling me "OF COURSE he's going to say that. How else is he supposed to sell his books if he doesn't tell you it's going to work?" Though he did get a kick out of the instruction to go on smoking while he read the book. I could tell that he was skeptical, so I said to him "please, just make it to the end of the book. Keep an open mind, and follow his instructions." He seemed agreeable to giving the rest of the book a shot. The next time I heard from him was either late January or mid February, I forget which. He told me that he read a little here, read a little there... but it was sometime near the end of December when his smoker's cough was starting to bother him, it gave him a wake-up call that it was time to get serious about finishing the book. And that as of the first week of January 2010, he was free. None of the withdrawals he always used to have in all his previous attempt to quit, none of the weight gain that ruined his penultimate attempt to quit, and no desire whatsoever to smoke anymore.

He was a man nobody thought would ever stop smoking. 2 packs per day for almost 30 years. But all it took was reading a book I bought with a $15 gift card from Barnes & Noble. Five and a half years ago he became not just an ex-smoker. He became a non-smoker.

And so did you. Congratulations!

Poisonshady313

Taking a moment to celebrate 10,000 views on this thread.

images

Poisonshady313

and its only for the weak.

I'm not sure that's fair. I believe most smokers start because they're influenced by family and friends, and many who start out very young are probably not informed about what they're getting into.

As for those who are informed but do it anyway, they likely fall into traps such as "one won't kill me" "I can stop any time I want" "We all gotta go sometime, so what's the difference?" And shortly thereafter, they're hooked. But they don't realize they're hooked until they try to stop. And they don't know how to get unhooked. It's not weakness. They just don't know how. And they get discouraged when they fail after following bad advice.

The point of Easyway is to properly inform a smoker how to escape from the nicotine trap by dispelling the myths regarding nicotine addiction and to remove the fears associated with becoming a non-smoker.