• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first living thing could not have come into being by random chance, therefore, God Almighty created all things. Just 1 proof.

F1fan

Veteran Member
When you ask someone why they believe what they believe expect a response like I gave.
All belief is uncertain, but those who consider their belief absolute and certain are not exhibiting humility and reason.
When somebody asks me why I believe what I believe it’s because I know what I believe is the truth.
And you could be mistaken in your belief.
I’m sorry if that offends you. You’re probably better off not asking people why they believe what they believe.
I don't think you offended anyone, it's that you have a lot to learn about the limitation of belief. Many other memebrs know this, but you don't. We see many overconfident believers.

SavedByTheLord

There is nothing wrong with stating that you have a belief. But when you claim to know you put a huge burden of proof upon yourself. If you cannot support that claim it becomes self refuting. You might still believe it, but you just demonstrated to everyone else that you don't know it.
Maybe He knows.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Ok
There is nothing wrong with stating that you have a belief. But when you claim to know you put a huge burden of proof upon yourself. If you cannot support that claim it becomes self refuting. You might still believe it, but you just demonstrated to everyone else that you don't know it.
Ok

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You can know things. But when you cannot support what you claim to know that demonstrates that that particular item is just a belief.

You should try to learn the difference. A strong belief is not knowledge.

Once again, knowledge is demonstrable. If you can't show it you don't know it.

^ This.

All belief is uncertain, but those who consider their belief absolute and certain are not exhibiting humility and reason.

And you could be mistaken in your belief.

I don't think you offended anyone, it's that you have a lot to learn about the limitation of belief. Many other memebrs know this, but you don't. We see many overconfident believers.

^ And this.

Well said, Subduction Zone and F1fan.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

You are correct, Subduction Zone. There is nothing wrong with him or anyone else stating their beliefs, as you explained. But there is the matter of Rule 8 to consider in regards to stating one's beliefs as definitive facts rather than as personal beliefs using phrases like "in my opinion," "I think," and "I believe."

F1fan

Veteran Member
If all belief is uncertain then why are you certain that all belief is uncertai?
Because we observe that many beliefs are untrue. It can be a fact that beliefs are untrue, like conspiracy theories that reject facts for conjecture. Creationism is demonstrably untrue, yet some Christians believe it.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Because we observe that many beliefs are untrue. It can be a fact that beliefs are untrue, like conspiracy theories that reject facts for conjecture. Creationism is demonstrably untrue, yet some Christians believe it.

The truth is that Christianity has many conflicting beliefs that contradict one another, such as conditional salvation vs. unconditional salvation, the proper baptism (sprinkled with water vs. fully immersed), female pastors, and the "end-times" (the rapture, pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, and post-tribulation).

It's obvious that Christians aren't united, and they never have been. The majority of them have the perpetual habit of accusing other Christians of not being "true Christians," and this accusation is as old as Christianity itself (read 1 Corinthians 1:10–17). The problem I have with Christians accusing other Christians of not being true followers of Jesus is that they can never agree on what the Bible truly says, and they constantly argue, insult, and fight one another about what they believe the Bible teaches. The truth is that if you ask the same theological question to a broad group of Christians, you will receive very different answers. All of these Christians will cite the Bible in an attempt to defend their answers, even though their answers are very different and contradictory.

It is also worth noting that they don't agree on whether salvation in Jesus Christ is unconditional or not, although they all read the Bible. Some Christians claim that a person's salvation is conditional, and they would quote a few scriptures they believed supported their belief. Some Christians claim that a person's salvation is unconditional, and they would quote a few scriptures they believed supported their belief. Yet other Christians claim that baptism or speaking in tongues is required for salvation, and they would quote a few scriptures they believed supported their belief. They contradict each other.

Questions about how to properly baptize believers (fully immersed in water or sprinkled with water), whether it is biblical for women to be pastors, and about the alleged end times (pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, post-tribulation, and the rapture of Christians) would elicit the same kind of derision among Christians. Not to mention the churches staking their claim as the "true church" and implying that Christians in other churches are wrong in their theology and biblical interpretation. They even argue about whether Jesus' mother remained a virgin after giving birth to him or if she had other children after him.

The truth is that Christians are very divided, intentionally separate themselves into different churches, and adhere to different doctrines and scriptural interpretations, which have occurred in both historical and contemporary Christianity. Catholics and Protestants have different church doctrines, dogmas, and interpretations of the Bible. So do Mormons (LDS), Jehovah's Witnesses, Messianic Jews, and Orthodox Christians, which include Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, and Greek Orthodox. Also, there are Baptists (First Baptist, Second Baptist, Southern Baptist, Reformed Baptist, Primitive Baptist, Anabaptist, Freewill Baptist, and others), Methodists, Mennonites, Seventh-day Adventists, Assemblies of God, Apostolic Church, Quakers, Pentecostals, Church of God, and many other various churches that aren't on the list. In fact, the precise number of Christian denominations is debatable.

Ironically, they all believe that they are correct about their beliefs and everyone else (including other Christians) is wrong about theirs, but then they have the audacity to claim that the Bible is the word of God and Christianity is the only true religion in the world. In my opinion, there's no reason to believe any of them. I think it's unreasonable for any Christian to claim that their biblical interpretation and theology are correct while insisting that other Christians are wrong, that the Bible is divinely inspired, and that Christianity is the only true religion in the world. It is also irrational, in my opinion, that Christians seem to expect non-Christians to accept the Bible as divinely inspired and the final authority on moral issues, yet they can't agree on what the Bible says.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So you THINK or Believe (I am glad you said appear) that he does not know. I know because the Bible has the answers. So if he knows the Bible then he knows not just believe.
No, that is once more just a matter of belief on your part. You would need to show that the Bible is reliable when the opposite is clearly true. The Bible may have answers but it can be shown that many of them are wrong.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The truth is that Christianity has many conflicting beliefs that contradict one another, such as conditional salvation vs. unconditional salvation, the proper baptism (sprinkled with water vs. fully immersed), female pastors, and the "end-times" (the rapture, pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, and post-tribulation).

It's obvious that Christians aren't united, and they never have been. The majority of them have the perpetual habit of accusing other Christians of not being "true Christians," and this accusation is as old as Christianity itself (read 1 Corinthians 1:10–17). The problem I have with Christians accusing other Christians of not being true followers of Jesus is that they can never agree on what the Bible truly says, and they constantly argue, insult, and fight one another about what they believe the Bible teaches. The truth is that if you ask the same theological question to a broad group of Christians, you will receive very different answers. All of these Christians will cite the Bible in an attempt to defend their answers, even though their answers are very different and contradictory.

It is also worth noting that they don't agree on whether salvation in Jesus Christ is unconditional or not, although they all read the Bible. Some Christians claim that a person's salvation is conditional, and they would quote a few scriptures they believed supported their belief. Some Christians claim that a person's salvation is unconditional, and they would quote a few scriptures they believed supported their belief. Yet other Christians claim that baptism or speaking in tongues is required for salvation, and they would quote a few scriptures they believed supported their belief. They contradict each other.

Questions about how to properly baptize believers (fully immersed in water or sprinkled with water), whether it is biblical for women to be pastors, and about the alleged end times (pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, post-tribulation, and the rapture of Christians) would elicit the same kind of derision among Christians. Not to mention the churches staking their claim as the "true church" and implying that Christians in other churches are wrong in their theology and biblical interpretation. They even argue about whether Jesus' mother remained a virgin after giving birth to him or if she had other children after him.

The truth is that Christians are very divided, intentionally separate themselves into different churches, and adhere to different doctrines and scriptural interpretations, which have occurred in both historical and contemporary Christianity. Catholics and Protestants have different church doctrines, dogmas, and interpretations of the Bible. So do Mormons (LDS), Jehovah's Witnesses, Messianic Jews, and Orthodox Christians, which include Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, and Greek Orthodox. Also, there are Baptists (First Baptist, Second Baptist, Southern Baptist, Reformed Baptist, Primitive Baptist, Anabaptist, Freewill Baptist, and others), Methodists, Mennonites, Seventh-day Adventists, Assemblies of God, Apostolic Church, Quakers, Pentecostals, Church of God, and many other various churches that aren't on the list. In fact, the precise number of Christian denominations is debatable.

Ironically, they all believe that they are correct about their beliefs and everyone else (including other Christians) is wrong about theirs, but then they have the audacity to claim that the Bible is the word of God and Christianity is the only true religion in the world. In my opinion, there's no reason to believe any of them. I think it's unreasonable for any Christian to claim that their biblical interpretation and theology are correct while insisting that other Christians are wrong, that the Bible is divinely inspired, and that Christianity is the only true religion in the world. It is also irrational, in my opinion, that Christians seem to expect non-Christians to accept the Bible as divinely inspired and the final authority on moral issues, yet they can't agree on what the Bible says.
One reason I am not a believer was due to my two aunts not seeing eye to eye over their Christian beliefs. One was Catholic and the other Southern Baptist. That tension that was worse at holidays (irony) was obvious to me. My cousins didn't seem to notice. Even as a kid I was an observer and thinker, and things did not add up. The real problem was my Baptist aunt, as she was a creationist, FOX viewer, Trump voting conservative. Yikes.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Good point. Once billions and evolution have been shown to be false, then it does come down to which God. The Bible will be the only that will be shown to be true. Brahman is a Hindu god. And the Hindu religion believes in reincarnation correct. I have never lived before nor has anyone I know. That proved the Hindi religion false. So Brahma is out.
Nope. You would still have to actually prove that your god even exists. Many claim to have lived before. These, and your claim, are unverifiable. All claims are testimonial and not evident. Your opinion is no more valid than a Hindu's or mine.

Billions of years and evolution have yet to be proven false and likely never will. A god/creator could have used reasonable means to create, that can be observed by scientific scrutiny.

SavedByTheLord

Nope. You would still have to actually prove that your god even exists. Many claim to have lived before. These, and your claim, are unverifiable. All claims are testimonial and not evident. Your opinion is no more valid than a Hindu's or mine.

Billions of years and evolution have yet to be proven false and likely never will. A god/creator could have used reasonable means to create, that can be observed by scientific scrutiny.
I did read the OP

SavedByTheLord

One reason I am not a believer was due to my two aunts not seeing eye to eye over their Christian beliefs. One was Catholic and the other Southern Baptist. That tension that was worse at holidays (irony) was obvious to me. My cousins didn't seem to notice. Even as a kid I was an observer and thinker, and things did not add up. The real problem was my Baptist aunt, as she was a creationist, FOX viewer, Trump voting conservative. Yikes.
So what. Your reasoning makes no sense. Mao killed about 100 million. Marx wanted to kill 100s of millions.
They were evolutionists. So now you should be a creationist.

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
So what. Your reasoning makes no sense. Mao killed about 100 million. Marx wanted to kill 100s of millions.
They were evolutionists. So now you should be a creationist.
Do you have evidence that they accepted the science of evolution and applied it to the ends they used or is this just more wild, empty claims flung at the wall hoping beyond hope that some little piece might stick?