• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The flood in Genesis

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
OK genius then lets run with you logic. Gilgamesh recorded something similar first.
Using your logic, all this does is point to an event that may have happened. Does it make the one in Gilgamesh correct?

You know I read a book by Ray Manzarek on Jim Morrison. I am sure if Jim were alive still he would explain things differently than Ray explained them. However, just because Ray recorded his version in a book does that make it correct?

At the very least it makes the story plausible, because we are learning about it from so many different sources.
Of course you can choose the opposite view, and say there are so many sources because it is just folk lore and that is what folk lore is just fake stories handed around and rehashed.
You are choosing to look at it from only one side. I have no beef with that, but there is another perspective to look at things.

You're got four main problems:

1. There isn't enough water on earth, in the atmosphere, and underground, taken altogether, to cover the entire earth in water.
2. All the Geological evidence indicates there was no such flood.
3. There is no Geological evidence to indicate that there was such a flood.
4. There were recorded civilizations in China, India, and Egypt that lived before, during and after the alleged flood, never noticing that they were under water.

Other than that, I'm sure you're right.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It is likely a number of things. Studies in oral transmission indicate a tendency to conflate and telescope events and themes in an effort to provide an over-arching etiology or lesson.

Yes. I'm sure there was an actual flood or floods, and to people who never traveled 5 miles from their homes, it seemed global. Then they start attributing a meaning or explanation to these natural events, which gets incorporated into a myth.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
And see, I have no problem with the story just that people should understand it shouldn't be taken literally.....(IMHO)....:D

How should it be taken?

Are we to assume that the flood story in the bible, along with other fantastical stories of the bible, did not actually occur?

linwood

I thought Epic Of Gilgamesh was Sumerian....?

It is technically but younger versions have been more popular through the ages it seems.

A quick trip to Wiki straightened me out.

Many original and distinct sources exist over a 2,000 year timeframe, but only the oldest and those from a late period have yielded significant enough finds to enable a coherent intro-translation. Therefore, the old Sumerian version, and a later Akkadian version, which is now referred to as the standard edition, are the most frequently referenced. The standard edition is the basis of modern translations, and the old version only supplements the standard version when the lacunae—or gaps in the cuneiform tablet—are great. (Note that revised versions based on new information have been coming out periodically over the last decades, and the epic is not considered complete, even now.)
Epic of Gilgamesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Yes. I'm sure there was an actual flood or floods, and to people who never traveled 5 miles from their homes, it seemed global. Then they start attributing a meaning or explanation to these natural events, which gets incorporated into a myth.
Actually, from what is now known of the flood plains of Mesopotamia it is very easy to imagine catastrophes of near biblical proportions. It would be a miracle if these did not result in myth.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
How should it be taken?

It's apparent that some have taken it literally but as we can see, even from this thread, a lot of us don't. Some here have suggested the story was meant (reconfigured and retold) to teach some a lesson. I'm not exactly sure why it was reshaped and retold. The fact is.... the current scientific data we know about the geological state of the planet and historical data of earlier cultures tells us that no such flood (worldwide) occurred.

Are we to assume that the flood story in the bible, along with other fantastical stories of the bible, did not actually occur?

People can and will assume what they want. The answer to your question is YES and NO....The bible, at least when I look at it, can be broken down into segments. There are (some) historical accuracies in the bible and a lot that aren't and I'm in agreement with you that there are plenty of unverifiable, untestable fanciful claims from beginning to end of the bible.

For me the bottom line is the OP started off with the premise that the story in the book is actually a true story. To ponder over the specifics of the story is futile when it has been shown to be nothing more than folklore. I'm simply saying...it's an old story that has been reshaped and retold.....

Just_me_Mike

It's apparent that some have taken it literally but as we can see, even from this thread, a lot of us don't. Some here have suggested the story was meant (reconfigured and retold) to teach some a lesson. I'm not exactly sure why it was reshaped and retold. The fact is.... the current scientific data we know about the geological state of the planet and historical data of earlier cultures tells us that no such flood (worldwide) occurred.

People can and will assume what they want. The answer to your question is YES and NO....The bible, at least when I look at it, can be broken down into segments. There are (some) historical accuracies in the bible and a lot that aren't and I'm in agreement with you that there are plenty of unverifiable, untestable fanciful claims from beginning to end of the bible.

For me the bottom line is the OP started off with the premise that the story in the book is actually a true story. To ponder over the specifics of the story is futile when it has been shown to be nothing more than folklore. I'm simply saying...it's an old story that has been reshaped and retold.....

I'll give you geological data showing otherwise about the flood. That does not put an end to the subject though.

However don't make your self look dumb after such a smart statement by comparing the Bible to Gilgamesh or Horas or any other myth. I am very versed with these ancient silly stories, and there is NO NONE what so ever literary equivalence. Yes the words flood and boat and other words are used in a lot of them, but how ridiculous to make such uneducated statements like you do.

You know if I made a story about Mississippi having a flood I bet there would be a boat involved. Gee how else would you deal with a flood?

You know in Gilgamesh the Gods were fighting each other and the boat the was built in Gilgamesh hardly warrants any serious attention. However studies have been done to see if what is described in the Bible would actually work. It is inconclusive at this point.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

"What was curious about this to me, was the fact the land had become dry 2 months and 27 days prior to then exiting. Why dos the story have them hanging out another 2 months and 27 days before exiting."

What "fact"......?

"You see I can take this as literal information for analysis purposes and still not believe they happened. My beliefs are irrelevant to the texts. I am taking the text at face (or literal) value to discuss."

"At the very least it makes the story plausible, because we are learning about it from so many different sources.
Of course you can choose the opposite view, and say there are so many sources because it is just folk lore and that is what folk lore is just fake stories handed around and rehashed.

You are choosing to look at it from only one side. I have no beef with that, but there is another perspective to look at things."

:eek:

Just_me_Mike

Look I am a christian but people claiming this picture might be the Ark makes me scratch my head. Can someone more knowledgeable explain to me what is anamalous about this picture?
060308_ark_radarsat_02.jpg

Canadian Space Agency's RADARSAT-1 image of Mt. Ararat. This radar image is 8-meter resolution, the highest commercial capability in the world. Circled in red is the "anomaly" location on the northwest corner of Ararat's Western Plateau at 15,300 feet. Since a radar satellite is not optical, but shoots back radio beams of solid structures, this image confirms, according to researchers, that the anomaly is not the effect of shadows. Credit: RADARSAT-1 data (c) Canadian Space Agency. Processed and distributed by RADARSAT International Inc., a subsidiary of MDA.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I'll give you geological data showing otherwise about the flood. That does not put an end to the subject though.

If you can provide empirical geological evidence of a worldwide flood, I will make a video of myself eating my hat and send it to you.:D

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Then we are in agreement that no such flood occurred. Maybe is was regional but certainly not worldwide.

However don't make your self look dumb after such a smart statement by comparing the Bible to Gilgamesh or Horas or any other myth.

"Horas"...? What are you talking about?

I am very versed with these ancient silly stories, and there is NO NONE what so ever literary equivalence. Yes the words flood and boat and other words are used in a lot of them, but how ridiculous to make such uneducated statements like you do.

If you were so "well versed" then you wouldn't have made such a silly statement. The ancient flood stories, I think there are four of them, predate the biblical account and they parallel it. If you don't think so then fine....Then I suggest you become more acquainted with the original stories of the flood before ponder over the copycat version in the bible.....:sarcastic

You know if I made a story about Mississippi having a flood I bet there would be a boat involved. Gee how else would you deal with a flood?

:sleep:

You know in Gilgamesh the Gods were fighting each other and the boat the was built in Gilgamesh hardly warrants any serious attention. However studies have been done to see if what is described in the Bible would actually work. It is inconclusive at this point.

What is conclusive is the the stories are very...very similar....and it appears the biblical account borrowed from earlier stories. It's not simply a retelling of the same old story. It's a reshaping of the story and then telling that story. Maybe both stories have a common source. At this point we don't know. Even if they did...we see that the similarities are striking as well as the differences. IMO the bible version adapted the story to suit its purpose to its audience.

The Floods of Noah and Gilgamesh

Last edited: