• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The flood in Genesis

themadhair

If you are a scientist, look into geographical caverns, and you will find that it holds some validity.
Let’s put into perspective what your comment is implying.

On the one hand we have you with a collection of manuscripts written by people who lack the modern knowledge we have today. This is through no fault of their own, but simply because they were not preceding a long line of people who investigated this.

On the other we have the edifice of modern geology. An edifice of collective research comprising millions of man-hours spanning over two centuries of rigours empirical inquiry. The fruits of this collective research is a detailed knowledge about our world and how it has changed over time under the actions of plate tectonic activity. We have been given the tools to see how the mighty Himalayas formed, the tools to understand how earthquakes and volcanoes are created, the tools to understand what oil is and how it is formed, the tools to understand such wonders of nature as Grand Canyon, Giant’s Causeway, Ayers Rock, etc. and the tools to understand the sheer magnitude in timescale involved in the shaping of our world.

And it your comment, you have the unadulterated arrogance to point to this branch of science and declare that you idea holds validity and, if only they thought to look in the geographical caverns, those scientists would understand.

Unbelievable.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Please remember that Noah was in an arc at sea, if the lands dried out, it would take longer to discover this, which is why Noah sent out 1 or 2 birds to see if they could find land.

Of course, keep in mind that the story may not be accurate, since it was passed down by tradition before it was recorded. I'm talking about being passed down for generations, so it would, unless by Divine Intervention, be distorted.

If you are a scientist, look into geographical caverns, and you will find that it holds some validity.

God Bless,
-Paladin

If you an earth scientist, you will know that it has none.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Please remember that Noah was in an arc at sea, if the lands dried out, it would take longer to discover this, which is why Noah sent out 1 or 2 birds to see if they could find land.

Of course, keep in mind that the story may not be accurate, since it was passed down by tradition before it was recorded. I'm talking about being passed down for generations, so it would, unless by Divine Intervention, be distorted.

God Bless,
-Paladin

Incorrect. The flood would have washed clean the organicly rich soil from the surface leaving only dead, relatively inert Horizons which lay underneath. As a result, the Ark would take longer to break down.

Geographical caverns form for millions of different reasons. Stating that it is evidence for a flood is as trivial as stating that earthquakes form because of pressure.

OmarKhayyam

I think his entire argument was settled in the 1st 3 mins. He, like all the ID'ers accepts the bible as literal. He then sets out to find interpret or simply MAKE UP evidence to support his original assumption.

OmarKhayyam

One of his examples is Devil's Tower in WY. It was formed by receding flood waters. No other explanation is possible (Watch this now!) consistent with the bible.:cover:

themadhair

The Grand Canyon was caused by the flood?

Explain this:
mr-goosenecks.jpg

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I didn't read all posts on this thread so this may have already been posted. There are a number of videos out there that makes sense of some of the flood questions. Did you ever see this and what do you think? YouTube - Startling Evidence That Noah's Flood Really Happened

Well, I'll see how long I can stand it.
O.K., I'm several minutes into it and he's still on the Bible. Now we've got a graph with no numbers on one axis. Ooh, that's real sciencey. Seven minutes in. No evidence yet. How long do I have to watch this schmuck before he presents some evidence? Hmmm, he's going to reject all of Geology. This should be tough. Oh, he just said covers the entire earth including all the mountains, so we already know he can't be right, since there isn't enough water to cover the mountains. Nine minutes--no evidence yet. Ten minutes, still no evidence. I give up, IAMA, what is this startiling evidence?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So, IMA, your assertion is that around 6000 years ago there was a worldwide flood, that a guy named Noah put two of each "kind" on a boat, that the entire world was covered with water for half a year, and that all land animals on earth now descended from the ones on Noah's boat? Is that your position? In your scenario, do new species ever come into existence? Or were all the species created once at the beginning? And what is a "kind?"

So, IMA, your assertion is that around 6000 years ago there was a worldwide flood, that a guy named Noah put two of each "kind" on a boat, that the entire world was covered with water for half a year, and that all land animals on earth now descended from the ones on Noah's boat? Is that your position? In your scenario, do new species ever come into existence? Or were all the species created once at the beginning? And what is a "kind?"

If I’m not mistaken there are around 5,000 species of mammals that include dogs, cats, horses, lions, and bears and so on. Since I believe in God I have no problem believing there was plenty of room on the ark. In 2 Kings 4:1-7 God made a huge amount of oil fit in a small jar. And I remember when Jesus fed over 5000 people with five barley loaves and two small fish. So I have no problem believing in the flood. I do believe in the flood and much of what Michael Oardhad to say helps me understand how it could have happened. My faith in God removes doubt for me. If God is our creator the ark would have been plenty big enough and there is plenty enough water to cover the earth. I believe Noah and the flood, Job, Moses, David, and Jesus are all part of history that we can learn from.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
If I’m not mistaken there are around 5,000 species of mammals that include dogs, cats, horses, lions, and bears and so on. Since I believe in God I have no problem believing there was plenty of room on the ark. In 2 Kings 4:1-7 God made a huge amount of oil fit in a small jar. And I remember when Jesus fed over 5000 people with five barley loaves and two small fish. So I have no problem believing in the flood. I do believe in the flood and much of what Michael Oardhad to say helps me understand how it could have happened. My faith in God removes doubt for me. If God is our creator the ark would have been plenty big enough and there is plenty enough water to cover the earth. I believe Noah and the flood, Job, Moses, David, and Jesus are all part of history that we can learn from.

Noah only took mammals on? What happened to the birds, reptiles and insects? What about the plants? NOt to mention the freshwater fish and the saltwater fish. So you're saying it's all magic then? An ark around 100 yards long could hold a million creatures, (kind of like the tent in Harry Potter.) Why bring science into it then? Science can show you it's completely impossible, and you're going to believe it anyway. Why tell lies about science since your beliefs are all based on magic?

There are approximately 12 million known species in existence, new species being discovered every day, and at least ten times as many extinct species. So, what happened to the other 11 million, 9 hundred thousand etc. species?

Noah only took mammals on? What happened to the birds, reptiles and insects? What about the plants? NOt to mention the freshwater fish and the saltwater fish. So you're saying it's all magic then? An ark around 100 yards long could hold a million creatures, (kind of like the tent in Harry Potter.) Why bring science into it then? Science can show you it's completely impossible, and you're going to believe it anyway. Why tell lies about science since your beliefs are all based on magic?

There are approximately 12 million known species in existence, new species being discovered every day, and at least ten times as many extinct species. So, what happened to the other 11 million, 9 hundred thousand etc. species?
I don't need science to help me know what to believe. Since I believe in God, I believe that all things are possible with God.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I don't need science to help me know what to believe. Since I believe in God, I believe that all things are possible with God.

O.K., fine. You reject science in preference to literal acceptance of the Bible. I get it. But why do like a liar like Michael Oard and pretend that science supports it? It doesn't. O.K., fine, be honest. You're in favor of the Bible and against science.

Isn't it a little tough, though, when you get sick?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Question?
Why would he need to take sea animals on board? Their habitat wasn't in danger.

There are 3 main categories of aquatic life: saltwater, freshwater, brackish. None of them can live in the other environment, so whatever the flood would have created would have killed all of the other two.