• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gospel - Is it only that Jesus died or is it that we celebrate The Resurrection?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Easter, the resurrection of Christ, is the biggest day, heck the biggest WEEK in the Catholic church, for the record.
To be honest, many people associate Easter with bunnies and egg baskets and egg hunts.

InChrist

Free4ever
You are right. Zoroastrians, Jews and Hindus (I checked BBC, Judaism after reading your post) have the concept of heaven and hell. So, basically all these religions along with Christianity and Islam offer life-after-death. In Hinduism, the offer is open. That means it does not require acceptance of a particular religion, God or messenger. It depends totally on what good and evil one has done in life.
Yeah, your books say that Jesus returned from death. That is a case of special pleading.
You are free to consider the resurrection of Jesus Christ as special pleading, if you’re so inclined. I consider it to be historical fact and reality.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes, I know. It has never meant any of that to me, however.
Hi again. I was reading a little about the origins of Easter, and I came across this: "Easter celebrates Jesus' supernatural resurrection from the dead, which is one of the chief tenets of the Christian faith." How do you feel about it?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hi again. I was reading a little about the origins of Easter, and I came across this: "Easter celebrates Jesus' supernatural resurrection from the dead, which is one of the chief tenets of the Christian faith." How do you feel about it?
Well, I don't know the article but I do believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Easter, the resurrection of Christ, is the biggest day, heck the biggest WEEK in the Catholic church, for the record.
but Easter is not a biblical word, but a non-biblical word meaning: the resurrection of spring
To Jesus, I find the BIGGEST day in Scripture is to remember his day of death - Luke 22:19 (Nisan the 14th day Jewish calendar )
So, just as a wedding anniversary does Not always come on a Friday neither does the anniversary day of Jesus' death
That also means what is called Resurrection Day could Not always come on a Sunday anniversary day.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Everyone is offering a ticket to eternal life. Hindus, Christians, Muslims, Bahais. So, what is new?
I don't think Zoroastrians, Jews and Buddhists make this offer. Do they?
I suppose one could say Adam was offered a ticket to eternal life, but where ________
Adam was only offered everlasting eternal life on Earth. No ticket offered to anywhere else
So, to me it is No surprise that Jesus offered 'Earth as an eternal inheritance' at Matt. 5:5 from Psalms 37:9-11; 22:26
Thus, originally Earth was Not offered as a stepping stone to anywhere else
Angels already existed in Heaven. Earth was made for -> humans - Psalm 115:16
The figurative living 'sheep' at Jesus' coming Glory Time are alive on Earth and can remain alive on Earth - Matt. 25:31-34,37
So, it is only people like those of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18 who have a heavenly resurrection - Rev. 20:6; 5:9-10; 2:10
The majority of mankind can have a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection on Earth with eternity in view right here on Earth forever

Kathryn

but Easter is not a biblical word, but a non-biblical word meaning: the resurrection of spring
To Jesus, I find the BIGGEST day in Scripture is to remember his day of death - Luke 22:19 (Nisan the 14th day Jewish calendar )
So, just as a wedding anniversary does Not always come on a Friday neither does the anniversary day of Jesus' death
That also means what is called Resurrection Day could Not always come on a Sunday anniversary day.
I can't keep up with all that, and apparently a lot of other people couldn't either, so we have Good Friday and Easter Sunday and that's fine to me and to others for that matter.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I don’t think so.

If all He did was die, they He is nothing more than a martyr.

The Gospel includes a resurrection that says that death's authority died. The Gospel, IMV, is where God became flesh as an immigrant into this world and experienced what no King would even consider, the pain of humanity to redeem humanity from his ultimate destruction. (I think we all can see this world’s population destroying itself)

1) He came to live as we did. To experience what He never experienced
2) He came to save us from ourselves and to free us to a new level of living
3) He conquered the authority of Death, Hell and the Grave in His resurrection
4) He offers a new life with a new authority and a new way of living.

So the symbol of the Cross needs to be an empty Cross and maybe an empty grave? He has resurrected!

He did suggest to them that where he was going, he would prepare a place for his disciples. He likewise stated that the spirit of truth would come to them, suggesting that He would not leave them as orphans, implying he was in truth and truth in him. It was documented that he was counted among the dead and that he came out of his tomb to walk among them again. So, this to me suggests the fundamentals of life. The truth is we are temporal, and that life is cyclic or circular, as in ongoing even after death. What this all means is unknown to me, aside from the fact that life will go on after I die.

Oh, truth is always available to those who seek it, albeit difficult to come by at times. Cross as a symbol? To each their own. How about this one?

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 19

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I can't keep up with all that, and apparently a lot of other people couldn't either, so we have Good Friday and Easter Sunday and that's fine to me and to others for that matter.
Yes, there is Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday, but as an anniversary does Not always fall on a Friday or a Sunday nor does the anniversary of the day of Jesus' death and resurrection always come on a Friday or a Sunday. Nisan the 14th day is Not always a Friday

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
He did suggest to them that where he was going, he would prepare a place for his disciples. He likewise stated that the spirit of truth would come to them, suggesting that He would not leave them as orphans, implying he was in truth and truth in him. It was documented that he was counted among the dead and that he came out of his tomb to walk among them again. So, this to me suggests the fundamentals of life. The truth is we are temporal, and that life is cyclic or circular, as in ongoing even after death. What this all means is unknown to me, aside from the fact that life will go on after I die. .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Yes, life will go on after we die because the sleeping dead will be awakened from death's deep sleep on Resurrection Day. Acts 24:15
Death is just a pause (a nap) in one's life for those who will have a resurrection
Only the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' - Psalms 92:7; 104:35; 145:20; Proverbs 2:21-22
This is when all humble meek people will inherit the Earth forever as Jesus promised at Matt. 5:5 from Psalms 37:9-11; 22:26

Kathryn

Yes, there is Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday, but as an anniversary does Not always fall on a Friday or a Sunday nor does the anniversary of the day of Jesus' death and resurrection always come on a Friday or a Sunday. Nisan the 14th day is Not always a Friday
I honestly don't care and I doubt God cares either.

Kathryn

If God doesn't care then why was the Bible written
I don't believe God cares about anniversaries and that sort of thing. Just like I decorate a Christmas tree every year and I know the bible says not to adorn trees with gold or silver (Jeremiah 10) but those people it is talking about were worshipping idols and I am worshipping God so there's a difference. So I don't like to take things out of context.