• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jesus Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
If I'm ignorant, why do I so easily dominate you here in debate?

Curious question. You should probably think about it.
I think Storm covers this very well.
Do you really have no idea how that looks, Blood -- the little game of trying to saddle the other guy with "the burden of proof"?

Really, you don't realize how that looks to those who take debate seriously?
It's not my fault if you simply haven't done any research. You're making the incredible claim, you have the burden of proof. It is as simple as that. I don't have to prove something that is already accepted.

Why People Believe Weird Things By Michael Shermer,
Since I have devastated all of your points with massive and irrefutable evidence, and actually proved to God Up Above that you come to this table with no evidence and puny argumentation, what more can I do?

HeeHee....
You didn't read the OP. I wasn't set out to prove anything. I was asking why people believe in the Jesus myth. I was asking for their evidence for the idea. Now, you provided 6 points, that I offered rebuttals to. You haven't actually addressed any of those seriously.
I once knew this little fighting gamecock. Oh, man... was he full of himself, strutting around the chickenyard all day, poking his chest way out.

Unfortunately, I'm a natural mimic. I can't help myself. If I hear a bird call, I answer back as best I can. If I see a man marching in front of a band, my legs start kicking up high, too.

So anyway, I started following the little gamecock around his pen, strutting high, poking out my chest. Of course, before very long, he noticed me. And he turned around and looked at me. And do you know what he said?

He said: I think you're being a little delusional, AmbiguousGuy.

(Don't mind me, everyone. I just like to tell stories sometimes.)
Which only shows that you actually have no knowledge on the subject, and are instead a troll. Thanks for letting us know.

jelly

No idea, and neither does it matter. I have no idea how many Jews were in the world at that time. Because again, it doesn't matter in regards to the actual subject.
it is mind boggling to me you have all this knowledge about the potential of people's literacy but no idea how to turn this information into useable data.
ball park it.
say there were 120k jews that saw jesus.

AmbiguousGuy

doppelgänger;2502149 said:
It's a relatively close call as to whether there is evidence of a particular historical figure named "Jesus" that was the inspiration for all of what became Christianity. But even if there was, from the standpoint of historical methodology, there's almost nothing we can really say about this person, what he taught or what he did.

That seems an entirely rational and reasonable assessment.

I would answer that the reason your assessment isn't so in the real world is the continuing vested interest in the Jesus Story.

And not only by the religious, of course, but by "Biblical scholars." Can you imagine what would happen to John Crossan's whole world if we discovered final evidence tomorrow that Jesus never existed as a person?

No. There's way too much to lose right now to allow Jesus his eternal rest in obscurity.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
it is mind boggling to me you have all this knowledge about the potential of people's literacy but no idea how to turn this information into useable data.
ball park it.
say there were 120k jews that saw jesus.
Again, it doesn't matter. Because literacy is not spread evenly amongst a population. There are other factors that must vary in as well. We can put the number between 3-5 million, possibly. But again, it doesn't matter. Because again, there are other factors.

jelly

ok show me how one guy writing about jesus's existence translates to support your opinion of the abilities of the rest of the jews then.

Embarkon

Before anyone casteth off one of the cornerstones of Christianity as a myth
He had best be familiar with the underlying Hebraic traditions both ancient and modern
and exactly what they say pertaining not only a "Jewish" Moshiach but the name Yeshu.
I will say no more on this.

jelly

yeah it is incorrect for me to say "rest of the jews"
how about just use one guy's testimony to support your claims about people abilities "and other factors"....

Embarkon

People just fail to grasp the beauty of the name Yeshu, because there have been more than 1000 of them in recorded history

AmbiguousGuy

Clearly, you have very little knowledge on this subject, which is why you refuse to address the rebuttals I have given you, and why you continue to make so many elementary mistakes on your reasoning on this subject.

So far as I can tell, you're actually serious when you write stuff like that. It's the fundamental difference between us. I could not write what you've written above without howling aloud with laughter at my own (pretend) arrogance.

But you seem quite serious about it. Most curious.

I'll answer your ridiculous question one more time. Why is there apparent plagiarism in the Gospels? Because the Gospel writers were using older sources in order to make their accounts. It is as simple as that.

And once again you duck my question while claiming to answer it. What can I do. I certainly can't force you to answer it. All I can do is try to shame you a little everytime you claim to answer it while avoiding it.

DO YOU KNOW OF ANY OTHER TWO OR THREE BOOKS WHICH PURPORT TO TELL THE SAME STORY BUT WHICH PLAGIARIZE LARGE STRINGS OF WORDS... IN THE SAME WAY AS THE SYNOPTIC GOSPELS DO?

Don't run from the question, Blood. That would be to love one's own ego, one's own personal truth, more than one loves God and God's truth.

Love God. Try to answer my question.

It's a simple Yes or No. Can you answer it?

Embarkon

A lot my Child, because the name has no meaning really , Yeshu means absolutely nothing, hope you understand what im saying its like asking what is the meaning of NIKE's sign lol

Status
Not open for further replies.