• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jesus Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angellous_evangellous

Pretty much what I thought. It must just be the way of the Jesus myther.

Nah, that's not fair.

I do have sympathy for "Jesus mythers" because it really is the result of a historical philosophy more than it is a responsible interpretation of history. (If that makes sense)

In other words, I have a deep respect for atheism inasmuchas it represents a beautifully constructed philosophy -- but the idiotic militant fools that are attacted to it that don't appreciate its beauty I have no time for.

There has to be intellectually responsible "Jesus mythers" -- I think that I've read one or two good scholars who thought this...

AmbiguousGuy

Can we please get back on the actual subject of this thread? Jelly, will you not even try to make an effort to state why you don't believe Jesus was a historical character?

I might be willing to go back and address your rebuttals to my Items #3-#6, but first I'd have to know what we're arguing about. As I say, the question "Was Jesus historical" makes no sense to me... and I really don't think it makes sense to anyone else, by which I mean that no one could defend what they mean by such a simple question. That's my opinion.

The question is: "What can we say with some degree of certainty, or what is our own personal opinion, as to the flesh-and-blood man upon whom the Jesus Story was based?"

Would you agree that my longer question seems more answerable than "Was Jesus historical?"

jelly

Can we please get back on the actual subject of this thread? Jelly, will you not even try to make an effort to state why you don't believe Jesus was a historical character?
define jesus the historical character.
because I am also thinking that Thor (the norse god) was a historical character.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Nah, that's not fair.

I do have sympathy for "Jesus mythers" because it really is the result of a historical philosophy more than it is a responsible interpretation of history. (If that makes sense)

In other words, I have a deep respect for atheism inasmuchas it represents a beautifully constructed philosophy -- but the idiotic militant fools that are attacted to it that don't appreciate its beauty I have no time for.

There has to be intellectually responsible "Jesus mythers" -- I think that I've read one or two good scholars who thought this...
I could agree with that. I would wish that some of those intellectually responsible Jesus mythers would present themselves though.

A

angellous_evangellous

because I am also thinking that Thor (the norse god) was a historical character.

Why not?

They made movies about both. You can actually see them on the screen.

AmbiguousGuy

I could agree with that. I would wish that some of those intellectually responsible Jesus mythers would present themselves though.

But probably not so much as I long for a Biblical scholar to come here who is capable of arguing rationally and responsibly.:)

Really, how about we get back to the material and leave aside the personal jabs for awhile? It's pretty boring.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I might be willing to go back and address your rebuttals to my Items #3-#6, but first I'd have to know what we're arguing about. As I say, the question "Was Jesus historical" makes no sense to me... and I really don't think it makes sense to anyone else, by which I mean that no one could defend what they mean by such a simple question. That's my opinion.

The question is: "What can we say with some degree of certainty, or what is our own personal opinion, as to the flesh-and-blood man upon whom the Jesus Story was based?"

Would you agree that my longer question seems more answerable than "Was Jesus historical?"
As the OP states: After watching The God Who Wasn't There by Brian Flemming, I decided to write a book on the Jesus Myth. I've written papers for and against the subject in the past (as I've been on both sides of the issue), but decided to write a more in depth discussion on the subject, taking the position that a historical Jesus did in fact exist, but was not as the Bible portrays him.

As I would like this to be all inclusive, with me not leaving out anything that may be considered important, I would just like to get everyone's arguments for and against.

So basically, is the Jesus Myth true?

That is the OP, that is what the thread was started on. We can simplify and ask, was Jesus a historical figure or was he an imaginary figure that people created?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
:facepalm: Jesus, a historical figure, who lived in Palestine (specifically in Galilee, specifically in Nazareth), during the first century of the Common Era. An itinerate preacher, who later was crucified. After which, he was transformed into what the Bible states about him.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
But probably not so much as I long for a Biblical scholar to come here who is capable of arguing rationally and responsibly.:)

Really, how about we get back to the material and leave aside the personal jabs for awhile? It's pretty boring.
Go ahead then. Offer some rebuttals or additional points. The ball has been in your court.

Status
Not open for further replies.