• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Below you will find 33 "kindness stories." Some of them are just very small, simple kind deeds. But even the smallest, most simple act of kindness can make a difference in someone's life in a very big way. Perhaps by reading about a kindness idea that someone else has done you will be inspired to do the same or come up with an entirely new idea of your own. We hope you will be truly motivated by these stories and that they will touch your heart.

Random Acts of Kindness Stories

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Thich Minh Thien’s Reflection on Kindness

Someone gave me a book as a gift entitled, “The Book of Joy” co-authored by his Holiness, the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. One statement in the book attributed to the Archbishop has stayed with me. The statement was, “We grow in kindness when our kindness is tested”. Kindness has been defined and described in different ways over time. The Webster definition states, the quality or state of being kind”. In our Buddhist practices, the term “Metta” or “Loving Kindness” underpins how we relate to each other and the world. It is key in Christian practice as we are admonished to “love thy neighbor as you love yourself”. It the Jewish community, acts of charity and loving kindness are central to the Torah way of life. The Quran has over 200 verses about compassionate living and stresses that righteousness is not in precise observance of rituals but in acts of compassion and kindness. So, no spiritual practice or religion can claim a monopoly on the teaching that embrace kindness. Even in a non-denominational environment life our great Republic; Abraham Lincoln’s vision of working for the healing of a nation, with “malice towards none, with charity for all” led our country out of a war that pitted brother against brother.

Reflection on Kindness

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I plan to put one in each of my sisters lunches with a special surprise snack and note of love. I will then give them 4 more cards to encourage them to take part in their own acts of kindness, while I use the remaining cards with random acts when I see a need. I hope encouraging my sisters when they are young will help them and their friends discover a joy of helping others that they will carry on throughout there lives.

Dozens more stories here -

Small Acts That Change the World | KindSpring.org

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness

Before you know what kindness really is
you must lose things,
feel the future dissolve in a moment
like salt in a weakened broth.
What you held in your hand,
what you counted and carefully saved,
all this must go so you know
how desolate the landscape can be
between the regions of kindness.
How you ride and ride
thinking the bus will never stop,
the passengers eating maize and chicken
will stare out the window forever.

Before you learn the tender gravity of kindness,
you must travel where the Indian in a white poncho
lies dead by the side of the road.
You must see how this could be you,
how he too was someone
who journeyed through the night with plans
and the simple breath that kept him alive.

Before you know kindness as the deepest thing
inside,
you must know sorrow as the other deepest thing.
You must wake up with sorrow.
You must speak to it till your voice
catches the thread of all sorrows
and you see the size of the cloth.

Then it is only kindness that makes sense anymore,
only kindness that ties your shoes
and sends you out into the day to mail letters and
purchase bread,
only kindness that raises its head
from the crowd of the world to say
It is I you have been looking for,
and then goes with you everywhere
like a shadow or a friend.

Naomi Shihab Nye

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“When we treat people merely as they are, they will remain as they are. When we treat them as if they were what they should be, they will become what they should be.”

~ Thomas Monson

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Just found this - I guess being kind means being friendly too ...

A friend does most of these:

(A)ccepts you as you are
(B)elieves in "you"
(C)alls you just to say "HI"
(D)oesn't give up on you!

(E)nvisions the whole of you (even the unfinished parts)
(F)orgives your mistakes
(G)ives unconditionally
(H)elps you
(I)nvites you over

(J)ust "be" with you
(K)eeps you close at heart
(L)oves you for who you are
(M)akes a difference in your life

(N)ever Judges
(O)ffer support
(P)icks you up
(Q)uiets your fears
(R)aises your spirits

(S)ays nice things about you
(T)ells you the truth when you need to hear it
(U)nderstands you
(V)alues you

(W)alks beside you
(X)-plains thing you don't understand
(Y)ells when you won't listen and
(Z)aps you back to reality

THE ABC'S OF FRIENDSHIP!

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From a search for faith in humanity kindness -

Even for us Earthlings, watching the constant stream of negativity pumped out in the ‘news’, we can be left feeling despondent, anxious and with less hope for the future. However, the media’s version of events is heavily skewed in favor of those types of negative story. Why is that? Well, that’s a subject for another post.

34 Examples of Heart-Warming Humanity, by Posted on November 3, 2014 by Kindness Blog

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Remember the time when someone let you cut in line at the grocery store because you only had one item to pay for? How about that day on the subway when you witnessed a seemingly self-absorbed teenager, glued to his iPod, giving up his seat for an elderly lady with a cane? These stories stay with us because they are reminders that, even in the face of adversity and darkness we have a shining capacity to do good. Often they inspire us to pay-it-forward by creating our own random acts of kindness. Read on for 24 recent stories of small, yet powerful acts of kindness. They just might inspire you to keep the ripples of kindness flowing by doing something generous for a stranger this week.

24 Acts of Kindness To Restore Faith In Humanity

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We give of ourselves when we give gifts of the heart:
Love, kindness, joy, understanding, sympathy,
tolerance, forgiveness.

We give of ourselves when we give gifts of the mind:
Ideas, dreams, purposes, ideals, principles,
plans, projects, poetry.

We give of ourselves when we give gifts of the spirit:
Prayer, vision, beauty, aspiration, peace, faith.

We give of ourselves
when we give the gift of words:
Encouragement, inspiration, guidance.

From Wilfred A. Peterson.

Came from this page - scroll down maybe half-way to the section on friendship ...

http://www.appleseeds.org/spec-idx.htm#Christmas

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
IG-EveryTimeYouSmile.jpg

Comes from this site -

Celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Week With Our Favorite Quotes on Kindness

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From a recent site -

My name is Madison Peach Steiner, I am the founder of Peach's Neet Feet, and after almost five years of running a non-profit based on the platform of kindness and the science of caring, I see the world through a lens of compassion. I believe one act of kindness can be the foundation for great change in the world.

I grew up in a family where kindness and compassion towards others was put before anything else. Because of that, I have an expanding vision for a kinder world and will continue to use Peach’s Neet Feet as a way to create a platform for synergy, conversations, and long-lasting actions that will help create a kinder world. A world where people would come together to find comfort through connection and to share in moments, not material things. Instead of people creating labels for others based on judgment, they will celebrate each other, even in their differences.

A kinder world would require a massive shift in perspective and in how people connect with one another, but I believe we all have that ability inside us. Connecting with others allows for positive and impactful interactions that result in opportunities to help others through kindness and sharing resources. Together we can begin to shift from the “me” mentality this world is stuck in, and move towards a world of respect and kindness for others.

Random Acts of Kindness