• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The KKK: left/progressive.....or.....right/conservative?

Shaul

Premium Member
You are not being realistic. In all likelihood they are voting for the Republicans. The Republican party has a more pronounced problem with diversity and racism. Also it is not how many are voting it is WHY they are voting for the Reps.
I don’t accept your premises that KKK members vote for Republicans nor that Republicans have a more pronounced problem with diversity and racism.

In light of recent news reports of the top three Virginia elected Democrats facing racially and sexist issues I feel confident stating that Republicans are not alone dealing with racial and diversity issues.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
I don’t accept your premises that KKK members vote for Republicans nor that Republicans have a more pronounced problem with diversity and racism.

In light of recent news reports of the top three Virginia elected Democrats facing racially and sexist issues I feel confident stating that Republicans are not alone dealing with racial and diversity issues.

I didn't say they were alone, I said the problem was more pronounced with Republicans, and anyone who is being honest with themselves can see this.

youknowme

That's right, be a good progressive liberal and make up facts because [. . ]

Your age is in your profile.

age.jpg

PureX

Veteran Member
Nonsense. Conservativism doesn’t seek to maintain and protect a a status quo of white males.
No, conservatism seeks to maintain the status quo, period. Tgat's what it's trying to "conserve". But that means most conservatives are those who are benefiting or who have been benefiting most from the practices of the status quo, and in our culture that's the wealthy white males.
That is the distorted straw man that leftists hold of conservatives. Conservatives seek to maintain and conserve the core values upon which the country was founded.
Oh, grow up and learn to read what the posts actually say, and not what some imagined enemy would be saying if he were actually posting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, conservatism seeks to maintain the status quo, period.
That is one definition, but not very applicable to politics in Americastan.
Ref....
Conservatism - Wikipedia
Main article: Conservatism in the United States
American conservatism is a broad system of political beliefs in the United States that is characterized by respect for American traditions, support for Judeo-Christian values, economic liberalism, anti-communism and a defense of Western culture. Liberty within the bounds of conformity to Conservatism is a core value, with a particular emphasis on strengthening the free market, limiting the size and scope of government and opposition to high taxes and government or labor union encroachment on the entrepreneur.

The major conservative party in the United States is the Republican Party, also known as the GOP (Grand Old Party). American conservatives consider individual liberty as long as it conforms to Conservative values, small government, deregulation of the government, economic liberalismand free trade, as the fundamental traits of democracy, which contrasts with modern American liberals, who generally place a greater value on social equality and social justice.[76][77]
Under the above description, conservatives have often wanted to change
things which liberals would leave in place, ie, preserve the status quo, eg,
ending affirmative action.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, conservatism seeks to maintain the status quo, period.
Ref....
Conservatism - Wikipedia
Main article: Conservatism in the United States
American conservatism is a broad system of political beliefs in the United States that is characterized by respect for American traditions, support for Judeo-Christian values, economic liberalism, anti-communism and a defense of Western culture. Liberty within the bounds of conformity to Conservatism is a core value, with a particular emphasis on strengthening the free market, limiting the size and scope of government and opposition to high taxes and government or labor union encroachment on the entrepreneur.

The major conservative party in the United States is the Republican Party, also known as the GOP (Grand Old Party). American conservatives consider individual liberty as long as it conforms to Conservative values, small government, deregulation of the government, economic liberalismand free trade, as the fundamental traits of democracy, which contrasts with modern American liberals, who generally place a greater value on social equality and social justice.[76][77]

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ya, I heard Jeffrey Lord today on CNN whereas he said the same thing, and I almost fell off my chair laughing. The KKK emerged from the "Dixiecrats", which were part of what we used to call "southern Democrats". However, starting especially with the signing of the Civil rights Acts in the 1960's by LBJ, they left in droves to become Republicans.

Needless to say, the "Dixiecrats" and "southern Democrats" are mostly Republicans today, and they are not liberals but largely racist Republicans. All he is doing is just playing a disingenuous game by trying to sway those who would not likely ever check up on this.
That's pretty much a massive line of BS.

Look at the Democrats vs Republicans and race relations and you tell me what's what.

Long after the supposed "switch" took place.

Before Charlottesville, Democrats voted for racist policies for more than 100 years

That ridiculous line of **** doesn't fool anyone anymore.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I didn't say they were alone, I said the problem was more pronounced with Republicans, and anyone who is being honest with themselves can see this.
And in the past it was a problem with the Democrats in the south. Under Nixon the Republicans began the Southern Strategy and many of the people that they appealed to were the KKK types. I don't think they did that on purpose, but as a result of that those former Democrats now tend to be Republicans:

Southern strategy - Wikipedia

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
While I agree that there were many Christians that are racist and many in the Democratic party went to church, this, however does not encompass conservatives. Example; most if not all progressive left support abortion but still call themselves Catholic or Christians. Ho do you square that anomaly? You don’t, it is effectively ignored by everyone of you dopes posting in here that the KKK and racism come from the right of our politics.

You want facts? Here’s some facts:
Until 1935, every black federal legislator was Republican, and it was Republicans who appointed the first black Air Force and Army four-star generals, established Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday as a national holiday, and named the first black national-security adviser, secretary of state, the research reveals. An estimated 3,446 blacks and 1,297 whites died at the end of KKK ropes from 1882 to 1964.

The right-wing believes his fellow human beings’ freedom of action is a benefit that accrues to all. The left-wing believes your freedom to conduct your life as you see fit is a threat that must be “controlled” for the “common good” and government must regulate everything to prevent this.

You would have to believe the entire civil war was the opposite of what it was, even though we have history books and government documents to support the truth, you would rather take the word from congenital liars of your party than actually learn the truth. The Conservative Republicans are the party of Lincoln – how your kind has bastardized our entire history in order to interlope yourselves as the good guys in all this – I must say – Is impressive, but still a lie.

The connection with democrats and the KKK with their racism and hate go way back to the 1800’s. Just read the history of their voting records and you will see it has always been the Democrats who were the racists. Republicans often led the efforts to pass federal anti-lynching laws and their platforms consistently called for a ban on lynching. Democrats successfully blocked those bills and their platforms never did condemn lynchings. In 1866 comments from Indiana Republican Gov. Oliver Morton condemning Democrats for their racism. It was well known for over 100 years who the racists were and they were on the left from the democrat party. The first grand wizard of the KKK, Nathan Bedford Forrest – Confederate Army General - was honored at the 1868 Democratic National Convention, no Democrats voted for the 14th Amendment to grant citizenship to former slaves and, to this day, the party website ignores those decades of racism.

Historical documents are unequivocal that the Klan was established by Democrats and that the Klan played a prominent role in the Democratic Party, a 13-volume set of congressional investigations from 1872 conclusively and irrefutably documents that fact.

In the 1920’s it was at its peak and completely supported by the Democrat party. 300K of them marched on Washington – really no different than the protests and marches of today. As recently as 1960, Mississippi Democratic Gov. Hugh White had requested Christian evangelist Billy Graham (conservative) segregate his crusades, something Graham refused to do. When South Carolina Democratic Gov. George Timmerman learned Billy Graham had invited African Americans to a Reformation Rally at the state Capitol, he promptly denied use of the facilities to the evangelist.

The ONLY way this was going to change is to confuse the masses with lies and all you fools took it hook, line and sinker. Why do you think all the democrats say one thing to get votes but what happens is either nothing or the opposite of what they promised the black communities? Every single big city ran by several layers of democrats has all the blacks living in slums and prisons – because they CARE? Seriously, even Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. voted Republican because he knew who the real racists are. The Democrat party “plantation” is the dependence class, with their lies democrats managed to garner a minority voter turnout; of gullible fools like you and the black community. The Democrat party can reliably count on minority votes, because they have been telling minorities for the past 45 years that only Democrats “truly care”, however this is a hallow statement. Black adults living at or below the poverty level grew from 19.8% back in 2007, to 23% by the end of 2010. During 2005 the median income of blacks under Bush and his majorities in the House and Senate was $12,124. By 2009, after only three years of Democrat party majorities in both houses and Obama’s first year in office that number plummeted by 53% to $5,677. In June 2008, unemployment for them slid from 58.6 % to 52.8% by August 2012 – again under Obama – a supposed black man with all that hope and change the blacks thought they would get. Fewer than 50% of young black males had full-time employment. But today, well, Trump has changed that and truly gave them hope. Your party, your idea of what you think it is, is all distorted.

What exactly has the democratic party done for the black community – you surely must wonder this? Try to find a catalogue of policies by the left that have supported their rhetoric. Back in 2010, the DNC website read “Democrats are unwavering in our support of equal opportunity for all Americans. That’s why we’ve worked to pass every one of our nation’s Civil Rights laws.” Those words have since been removed from the site. Did the Democrat party change it when too many people realized that they are still, even after all these years, as racist as they have ever been?

The left now enslaves blacks into social handouts to hold them down by the insidious racism of diminished expectations, all the while campaigning that they were “helping” them. After all of these “progressive” years, the Democrat party is still just as racist as it has ever been, it has simply become more sophisticated in how it exercises that racism. It’s amazing to me that this worked so well, but it did and their propaganda has obviously worked as well on you. They no longer hate them, they used them to effectuate their power and they’ve done it with perfect precision of propaganda that even Joseph Goebbels would be proud.

Here are recent historical glaring facts you insist on ignoring, or maybe you are just stupid.
May 23, 2003, Republican Senator Sam Brownback (R-KS) introduced a bill establishing the National Museum of African American History & Culture.

August 20, 1996, in the “Republican Contract With America” election platform – thoroughly denounced by the Democrat party – Representative Susan Molinari (R-NY) wrote and sponsored legislation which prohibited discrimination by race of adoptive parents.

November 21, 1991, the Civil Rights Act of 1991 is signed into law by President George H. W. Bush, which further strengthened civil rights laws passed by Republicans overwhelmingly in 1965.

August 10, 1988, the Civil Liberties Act of 1988 is signed into law by President Ronald Reagan, which compensated Japanese-Americans who had been deprived of property and liberty when Democrat Franklin D. Roosevelt drafted Executive Order 9066. That order forced Japanese-Americans into internment camps during WWII.

February 19, 1976, Democrat President Franklin Roosevelt’s Executive Order 9066 is formally rescinded by Republican President Gerald Ford. FDR's plan was to send more than 110,000 Japanese Americans were relocated to remote internment camps built by the U.S. military in scattered locations around the country.

August 6, 1965, the Republican Voting Rights Act becomes signed into law. The Act served to abolish the unscrupulous “literacy tests” and other impediments devised by the Democrat party, to inhibit African-American votes.

August 4, 1965, in the face of several Democrat party impediments imposed on the Voting Rights Act, Republicans vote 94 percent For, while Democrats vote 27 % opposed.

June 20, 1964, the black owned newspaper Chicago Defender, heaps praise on Senate Republican Everett Dirksen (R-IL) for championing the Civil Rights Act.

History Of The Democrats And The KKK.....(Why the Democrats started the KKK)
https://guardianlv.com/2014/01/democrat-party-still-racist-after-all-these-years-2014-update/
Google Groups

I don't think anyone would deny the history of the political parties in question - whether Democrat or Republican. However, as I am not a fan of either party, I find myself being skeptical of any kind of rhetoric which paints one side as total demons while implying that the other side is a bunch of angels and choir boys. If anything, both parties were rife with demons.

Much has been written about the Civil War - its causes and effects. We also have an extensive history of racism in America, not just with blacks in the South or areas where the Democratic Party was predominant. It's also been evident in the North - and especially the West which (as a result of the Civil War) became open territory for the Republicans and their cronies to exploit. Up until the Civil War, the North and South kept making compromises as the size of the nation got bigger and bigger. Too much expansionism (favored by both sides) happened too fast, and multiple factions were fighting over the spoils of our conquests.

Racism against anyone who was not considered "white" was rampant throughout America, and there was a fair amount of bigotry and rivalry among different nationalities and religious groups within America. The Republicans had a lockhold on power for decades following the Civil War, so they could have stopped it, but they didn't. They tolerated the KKK and the doctrine of "separate but equal," and they divided up the Western territories, turned them into states and forced the Natives to live on "reservations."

The North also had its sweatshops, child labor, union busting, racketeering, slums, raw sewage running down the streets in the cities. The downside of rapid industrialization and urbanization was creating a good deal of dissatisfaction, which is where the Democrats started to become more "progressive-left" as some people might see it today. The Northern Democrats weren't necessarily politically aligned or similar to their party compatriots in the South, who still backed the KKK. But it led to a process where the Democrats had to change from within, which eventually culminated in many "Dixiecrats" splitting from the party ranks entirely.

By that time, the goals of both parties were fundamentally different, but with the Republicans being blamed for all the misery of the Great Depression, the Democrat FDR probably had the greatest influence in reshaping and reforming the Democratic Party into what is now seen as more "progressive-left." The Republicans had fallen out of power and had to find ways of re-inventing themselves. They switched from becoming isolationists to zealous, hardline interventionists and anti-communists. All in the name of the "free world."

Concurrently, the Democratic Party was becoming internally fractured partly due to the Dixiecrat split, but not just that. There were also internal divisions between the more progressive-left elements in the party and the more moderate liberals who didn't want to be painted as "soft on communism." The '68 Democratic Convention turned out to be an utter fiasco.

Shaul

Premium Member
And again, that is simply your opinion. And anyone who is truly honest would admit we can’t possibly know such a thing. Ballots are still private in America. You can’t possibly know with certainty how members of the KKK have voted nor that they vote more often for Republicans.

youknowme

And again, that is simply your opinion. And anyone who is truly honest would admit we can’t possibly know such a thing. Ballots are still private in America. You can’t possibly know with certainty how members of the KKK have voted nor that they vote more often for Republicans.

Right. . . . :rolleyes:

Shaul

Premium Member
And in the past it was a problem with the Democrats in the south. Under Nixon the Republicans began the Southern Strategy and many of the people that they appealed to were the KKK types. I don't think they did that on purpose, but as a result of that those former Democrats now tend to be Republicans:

Southern strategy - Wikipedia
That Wikipedia page is just a biased regurgitation of the false leftist myths about the Southern Strategy. Ergo I share quote a reply from a conservative:”

The Democratic Party’s claim to be the party of the good guys, while the Republicans are the party of the bad guys, hinges on the tale of Richard Nixon’s so-called Southern Strategy. According to this narrative, advanced by progressive historians, Nixon orchestrated a party switch on civil rights by converting the racists in the Democratic Party — the infamous Dixiecrats — into Republicans. And now, according to a recent article in The New Republic, President Trump is the “true heir, the beneficiary of the policies the party has pursued for more than half a century.”

Yes, this story is in the textbooks and on the history channel and regularly repeated in the media, but is it true? First, no one has ever given a single example of an explicitly racist pitch by Nixon during his long career. One might expect that a racist appeal to the Deep South actually would have to be made, and to be understood as such. Yet, quite evidently none was.

So progressives insist that Nixon made a racist “dog whistle” appeal to Deep South voters. Evidently he spoke to them in a kind of code. Really? Is it plausible that Nixon figured out how to communicate with Deep South racists in a secret language? Do Deep South bigots, like dogs, have some kind of heightened awareness of racial messages — messages that are somehow indecipherable to the media and the rest of the country?

This seems unlikely, but let’s consider the possibility. Progressives insist that Nixon’s appeals to drugs and law and order were coded racist messaging. Yet when Nixon ran for president in 1968 the main issue was the Vietnam War. One popular Republican slogan of the period described the Democrats as the party of “acid, amnesty and abortion.” Clearly there is no suggestion here of race.

Nixon’s references to drugs and law and order in 1968 were quite obviously directed at the antiwar protesters who had just disrupted the Democratic Convention in Chicago. His target was radical activists such as Abbie Hoffman and Bill Ayers. Nixon scorned the hippies, champions of the drug culture such as Timothy Leary, and draft-dodgers who fled to Canada. The vast majority of these people were white.

Nixon had an excellent record on civil rights. He supported the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. He was an avid champion of the desegregation of public schools. The progressive columnist Tom Wicker wrote in the New York Times, “There’s no doubt about it — the Nixon administration accomplished more in 1970 to desegregate Southern school systems than had been done in the 16 previous years or probably since. There’s no doubt either that it was Richard Nixon personally who conceived and led the administration’s desegregation effort.”

Upon his taking office in 1969, Nixon also put into effect America’s first affirmative action program. Dubbed the Philadelphia Plan, it imposed racial goals and timetables on the building trade unions, first in Philadelphia and then elsewhere. Now, would a man seeking to build an electoral base of Deep South white supremacists actually promote the first program to legally discriminate in favor of blacks? This is absurd.

Nixon barely campaigned in the Deep South. His strategy, as outlined by Kevin Phillips in his classic work, “The Emerging Republican Majority,” was to target the Sunbelt, the vast swath of territory stretching from Florida to Nixon’s native California. This included what Phillips terms the Outer or Peripheral South.

Nixon recognized the South was changing. It was becoming more industrialized, with many northerners moving to the Sunbelt. Nixon’s focus, Phillips writes, was on the non-racist, upwardly-mobile, largely urban voters of the Outer or Peripheral South. Nixon won these voters, and he lost the Deep South, which went to Democratic segregationist George Wallace.

And how many racist Dixiecrats did Nixon win for the GOP? Turns out, virtually none. Among the racist Dixiecrats, Strom Thurmond of South Carolina was the sole senator to defect to the Republicans — and he did this long before Nixon’s time. Only one Dixiecrat congressman, Albert Watson of South Carolina, switched to the GOP. The rest, more than 200 Dixiecrat senators, congressmen, governors and high elected officials, all stayed in the Democratic Party.

The progressive notion of a Dixiecrat switch is a myth. Yet it is myth that continues to be promoted, using dubious case examples. Though the late Sens. Jesse Helms of North Carolina and John Tower of Texas and former Mississippi Sen. Trent Lott all switched from the Democratic Party to the GOP, none of these men was a Dixiecrat.

The South, as a whole, became Republican during the 1980s and 1990s. This had nothing to do with Nixon; it was because of Ronald Reagan and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich’s “Contract with America.” The conservative appeal to patriotism, anti-communism, free markets, pro-life and Christianity had far more to do with the South’s movement into the GOP camp than anything related to race.

Yet the myth of Nixon’s Southern Strategy endures — not because it’s true, but because it conveniently serves to exculpate the crimes of the Democratic Party. Somehow the party that promoted slavery, segregation, Jim Crow and racial terrorism gets to wipe its slate clean by pretending that, with Nixon’s connivance, the Republicans stole all their racists. It’s time we recognize this excuse for what it is: one more Democratic big lie.

The myth of Nixon’s ‘Southern Strategy’

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
That Wikipedia page is just a biased regurgitation of the false leftist myths about the Southern Strategy. Ergo I share quote a reply from a conservative:”
You may want to look through the sources (over 100 of them on that page), as some of them are Conservative/Right sources.

PureX

Veteran Member
Ref....
Conservatism - Wikipedia

They only want to change things back to what they think was the status quo when they were the empowered ones.

Keep in mind that "illiberal liberals" is a contradiction in terms. And so is "radical conservatism". Both are the result of modern day fascist plutocrats desperately trying to mislabel reality so as not to be recognized for what they are. These inherently misleading and self-contradictory terms come right out of their media propaganda machine. And you, like many others, have accepted them as part of your idea of reality. And that's very unfortunate for all of us.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They only want to change things back to what they think was the status quo when they were the empowered ones.

Keep in mind that "illiberal liberals" is a contradiction in terms. And so is "radical conservatism". Both are the result of modern day fascist plutocrats desperately trying to mislabel reality so as not to be recognized for what they are. These inherently misleading and self-contradictory terms come right out of their media propaganda machine. And you, like many others, have accepted them as part of your idea of reality. And that's very unfortunate for all of us.
I think you limit definitions too much.

tytlyf

Not Religious
You might want to rethink this... racist KKK has been a democrat left wing thing since the 1800's.....
Correct, the KKK and the southern confederate DemoKKKrat party were conservatives. You act like conservatives in the south have never been democrats.

The south has never been liberal/progressive, especially in the 1800s. You're showing that you don't understand the ideology of the parties in the past.

The moral of the story, confederate democrats were conservatives.

You should watch that new movie called "Death of a Nation." It explains the history of the conservative Democratic party and their racist views.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There is your mistake. The left has been trying so desperately for the past 50 years to flip the truth around so that young people like you believe their BS propaganda. Try cracking a history book NOT written in the last decade. Try searching what each political party voted on or didn't vote on.
LOL! Oh, the above is hilarious.

Well, I don't think "young people" much refers to me since I'm 73, and I am a retired educator that started out teaching American History but then for 30 years I taught Anthropology and over 25 years I taught Political Science. I've long done the research. To use an example, last week's State of the Union I believe was the first one I've missed since the late 1960's.

BTW, if all you're going to do here at RF is to use stereotypes to demean others, I think you'll find some of us just pretty much ignoring you after a while as we have had more than enough trolls here to fill our quota. Just a friendly piece of advice.

To put it another way, let me recommend that that you actually deal with the issue(s) at hand instead of issuing personal slams and using left/right stereotypes.