• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
If you just toss them together, of course they are. There is a bit of an art to mayonnaise making. And you might want to try a more neutral oil For the most part EVOO is my go to favorite. But for Asian cooking or if I ever deep fry, which is very rare, you need something else. A neutral high smoke point oil of some sort.
EVOO is the bomb. I've found canola is good for deep frying.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yep, my favorite. I am cooking a roast beef right now and when I browned it I used EVOO. Now here is a weird fact. I was reading an article once on "heart healthy oils" and one of them listed that shocked me was lard. And it was not the only source. Yep, lard is heart healthy.
That's interesting. I had no idea. My folks used to by it in those large cans. I'm not sure how much volume that was, but the cans had to be three or four gallons.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
They're ok. The frozen ones we get in the supermarket aren't great but sometimes I make them myself and they're super good. By sometimes I mean it's been about 10 years since I made them from scratch.
It's been a while since I've had them homemade. A friend of mine had this beer batter he used and could make some fantastic onion rings. I settle for restaurant onion rings these days. Which are frozen rings deep fried.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's been a while since I've had them homemade. A friend of mine had this beer batter he used and could make some fantastic onion rings. I settle for restaurant onion rings these days. Which are frozen rings deep fried.
Fresh homemade ones are very fiddly since you do not want the onions hitting each other until they get a good crust started. Maybe a wide shallow pan instead of the typical pot? I don't know.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Okay, quick quiz. You are making a pie. You want to use the most "heart healthy" oil or fat that will work when one wants to make a crust.

What do you use?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

I used a tempura batter. It's good on most vegetables but I don't deep fry these days and it would be a little messy in the air fryer

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I used a tempura batter. It's good on most vegetables but I don't deep fry these days and it would be a little messy in the air fryer
That's a good choice of batter from my experience. I haven't really deep fried anything in a while. I do like homemade fries deep fried. Something about them fresh cut and fried that tastes better to me. Could be the oil too.

I ran across a recipe for tempura tarantula once. I'd try it. It's deep fried. How bad could it be?