• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
And to me as well. Actually weekdays are better because a lot of people are "working" and thus not on the road (except at commute times) and not in stores etc.
Same. I prefer to go grocery shopping mid-day, vvhen everyone's at vvork.
You even write with an accent;-)
The first time I savv my husband's vvriting, I had to inform him that 'and' has a 'd' in it. He vvas vvriting it as : "I vvent to the store an got cheese an eggs an bread."

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Actually you do (ro a Brit anyway), hundreds of outrageous accents from up and down and across the country

I used to pride myself on guessing where the American that i was talking to on the phone came from
My wife is pretty good at spotting Northumbrian and Welsh accents. And of course, cockney and someone from Scotland stands out even if lacking a kilt. But as I've discovered, there are even language differences. A few times on the British Antiques Road Trip series I've heard words used that were explained as a regionalism.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My wife is pretty good at spotting Northumbrian and Welsh accents. And of course, cockney and someone from Scotland stands out even if lacking a kilt. But as I've discovered, there are even language differences. A few times on the British Antiques Road Trip series I've heard words used that were explained as a regionalism.

I was in a hotel around your neck of the woods. Cable TV was playing an old Taggart. Taggart was an Glaswegian police detective and the main actor (Mark McManus) was born and raised in the area but his accent was understood (otherwise he wouldn't have got the part)

Back to the US, the program had subtitles.

Edit. I was born and raised less than 40 miles from Liverpool, I can't understand a word of Scouse (Liverpool accent)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Back to the US, the program had subtitles.
There was a PBS show entitled something like "The Story of English" that covered the history of English, how it had mutated in various places and also accents. When I was in India, I became aware of the difference between Indian English and American English both in accent and words. And the famous exchange about wool illustrates that understanding Scottish English is more than just learning "bairn" and "lassie"

Oo?​
Ay, oo.​
Aa oo?​
Ay, aa oo.​
Aa ae oo?​
Ay, aa ae oo.​

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There was a PBS show entitled something like "The Story of English" that covered the history of English, how it had mutated in various places and also accents. When I was in India, I became aware of the difference between Indian English and American English both in accent and words. And the famous exchange about wool illustrates that understanding Scottish English is more than just learning "bairn" and "lassie"

Oo?​
Ay, oo.​
Aa oo?​
Ay, aa oo.​
Aa ae oo?​
Ay, aa ae oo.​

Awryte Jimmy

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Winning because the farmer's market was pretty empty due to earlier rain. We have the essentials: hothouse tomatoes, apples, cookies and artisanal chocolate.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Since the last couple of posts were about food...

Red and Rover Comic Strip for January 13, 2024