• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The car died on a busy highway riiight in front of a train track.

Someone took their van and pushed me over the track, but now its stuck in a parking lot.

It turns on and goes backwards, just not forward.

I had the opposite problem with a Chevrolet I used to have. It could go forward, but not backwards. So I couldn't back up if I had to. On top of that, I made a horrible blunder by taking it to Pep Boys, but that aside, they told me it was a problem with my transmission solenoid.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I had the opposite problem with a Chevrolet I used to have. It could go forward, but not backwards. So I couldn't back up if I had to. On top of that, I made a horrible blunder by taking it to Pep Boys, but that aside, they told me it was a problem with my transmission solenoid.
I'm hoping this isn't a transmission problem. I ain't got cash for that...

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
1705459165329.jpeg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I could never figure out what Americans mean by transmission. After googling it a few years back I assuming you mean what we call the gearbox.

Well, I found this site which appears to be from the land of lorries, spanners, and gearboxes: 5 Frequently Asked Questions About Gearboxes.

Are Gearboxes and Transmissions the Same Thing?​

Although the two terms are often used synonymously, one is a part of the other. A transmission is what allows the power to be transferred from the engine to the drive shaft which then sends that power to the driving wheels. As a part of the transmission, a gearbox houses the gears that determine how much power is transferred to the drive shaft via revolutions or ‘revs’.

Why is my Gearbox Oil Leaking?​

Often, gearbox leakages are due to faulty seals. Seeing as your vehicle’s transmission, which houses the gearbox, can reach 90 degrees Celsius, it’s normal that the seals loosen and crack due to wear and tear. Similarly, the aluminium or steel pipelines can crack which can also cause a leak, as can the transmission pump. However, these are usually quick fixes.

What is a Gearbox?​

A gearbox is the primary part of the transmission that uses “gears and gear trains to provide speed and torque block conversions from a rotating power source to another device from a rotating power source to any other device.” They are used to change the speed, measured in rotations per minute, of a motor and allow an “output of torque and speed determined by the gear ratio.”

To use a gearbox bicycle as an example, the gears on the back wheel convert the torque and rotational speed from the cyclist pumping the pedals to match the gear needed to adjust ease of pedaling.

The phrase “5 speed transmission” is sometimes used to refer to the gearbox. To confuse things further, the terms “gearbox” and “gear reducer” can be used interchangeably.

What is a Transmission?​

The transmission refers to the whole drivetrain, including the:

• Clutch
  • Gearbox
  • Differential
  • Final drive shafts
The transmission often has multiple gear ratios and the ability to switch between them as changes in speed are needed. To use a car as an example, the gears can be either manual or automatically shifted. Transmissions can also provide directional changes, like forward or reverse.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Well, I found this site which appears to be from the land of lorries, spanners, and gearboxes: 5 Frequently Asked Questions About Gearboxes.

That makes sense but if a mechanic tells my transmission is stuffed I wast to know if it's the diff or the clutch or whatever.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Its the thing that makes it go forvvard.

I think.
The engine turns around in a nonhelpful way. 5he transmission tajes the engine motion and conveys it to the wheels changing to he engines turning into a fork that drives the wheels.

How's that for technical jargon.