• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Supper mocked in Paris?

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
Of all of the performances that could have taken place at the opening of the Olympics, why would this choice be made? Artistict freedom? Deliberate disrespect?

I wonder what the response would have been if it was Islam or Judaism being targeted?

IMHO, bad taste. Curious what RFers think about this?

I think people saw the Last Supper when maybe it wasn't actually there:

The ceremony's artistic director, Thomas Jolly, said there was no intention to "mock or denigrate anyone" and explained the scene in question was designed to reference pagan gods.

Jolly told French broadcaster BFM: "The idea was to do a big pagan party linked to the gods of Olympus."

Altfish

Veteran Member
You do realise that billions of people only practice their religion because they were effectively born into it? And that there are lots of pressure on people to stick to whatever they were born into?

And how is mocking a person's religion not a personal attack?

Criticising a religion and not believing in it is fine

But basically saying "this is really ****ing stupid and only morons would believe this look how hilariously stupid it is" is another thing, and that was the spirit in which the last supper was mocked

I think it is wrong to call people morons but you're obviously cool with that
I was born into the Christian religion, I left it. I had a choice.
You really believe that "saying "this is really ****ing stupid and only morons would believe this look how hilariously stupid it is" is another thing, and that was the spirit in which the last supper was mocked "
What ever happened to the 2nd Commandment? Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above...
Isn't the Last Supper breaking that commandment?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oh please. The art director knew it reminded audiences and himself and others of the Last Supper. But my bigget question is "So what?" I mean, it was an unfortunate and some might say a stupid and tone free display but it is the Olympics in France in 2024. I pay about as much attention to what causes some people with anaptyctic shock or however you spell it to freak out about anything, but especially games and competitions.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
What ever happened to the 2nd Commandment? Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above...
Isn't the Last Supper breaking that commandment?
No because people don't worship that painting

The second commandment is about idol worship, not depictions

That is how it has been understood for millenia

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
I think people saw the Last Supper when maybe it wasn't actually there:

The ceremony's artistic director, Thomas Jolly, said there was no intention to "mock or denigrate anyone" and explained the scene in question was designed to reference pagan gods.

Jolly told French broadcaster BFM: "The idea was to do a big pagan party linked to the gods of Olympus."

Yes, I have heard that the organizers were invoking Dionysus, to combat violence and discrimination. LOL, have they read Dionosis? Hardly an ideal!

But clearly there was some anti-Christian intent here.

IMHO

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Apparently the intent wasn't even to reenact Da Vinci's "The Last Supper", but instead "The Feast of the Gods" by Bijlert.

I believe them. The Bacchus is very conspicuous, after all.

anna.

Yes, I have heard that the organizers were invoking Dionysus, to combat violence and discrimination. LOL, have they read Dionosis? Hardly an ideal!

But clearly there was some anti-Christian intent here.

IMHO

I don't think Bp. Barron necessarily has the correct interpretation.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Of all of the performances that could have taken place at the opening of the Olympics, why would this choice be made? Artistict freedom? Deliberate disrespect?

I wonder what the response would have been if it was Islam or Judaism being targeted?

I think the Olympics suck now.

It's about just everything else but the athletes themselves, and the competitions to be the best in the world.

I trust for the next Olympics, they will choose a more appropriate country to host the event.

Altfish

Veteran Member
No because people don't worship that painting

The second commandment is about idol worship, not depictions

That is how it has been understood for millenia
So, if they don't worship the painting, why the outrage?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
So, if they don't worship the painting, why the outrage?
Because it depicts a scene from scripture featuring the main protagonist from scripture

It is laughing at a religion and by extension ridiculing believers

And the outrageous thing is, that opening ceremony was funded using public money much of which would have come from the pockets of Christians

Altfish

Veteran Member
Because it depicts a scene from scripture featuring the main protagonist from scripture

And the outrageous thing is, that opening ceremony was funded using public money much of which would have come from the pockets of Christians
You are beginning to sound like a Muslim regarding depicting Mohammed.
As I have said before, 'beliefs can be laughed at', I'm sorry but your religious belief is no more important than a favourite band, a political stance, a favourite book ... they are all opinions.
You may mock my lack of religion, you may mock my love of Mark E Smith and The Fall, you may mock my support for Manchester United, they are all beliefs that I hold.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
You may mock my lack of religion, you may mock my love of Mark E Smith and The Fall, you may mock my support for Manchester United, they are all beliefs that I hold.
I would never mock you for those things

Why would I want to mock you? What good would it do?

anna.

Conservatives just don't like France. Too dang libertine. "Freedom fries," anyone?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The tableau had nothing to do with the last supper. When was there ever a blue god in Leonardos painting?
As i said in another thread, people will see anything in an image if they want to get pussed off with it.

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

As a Muslim and a citizen in Europe I just find it disgusting and no respect for many reasons.

The Olympics purpose should bring people with different ethnicity and faith together and compete in sport. This kind of pathetic attempt has no place there especially since some athletes that come there think highly of Jesus, like Muslims and Christian’s. So is it better to take the risk of wanting to make some statement or risking to offend people? I would say don’t take that risk.

I know people would argue that this is okay and this didn’t offend people but is this the best place to make such statement knowing a lot of people watch this? But yeah sad that the world has become a bunch of degenerates

Tomef

I suppose as Europeans we see Christianity as ‘our’ religion, as in part of our heritage, moreso than any other. Although a lot of faiths are practised across Europe, Christianity ruled the roost for longer and more extensively than others. So, mocking what you consider your own even in an abstract sense is different from mocking some ingrained aspect of a different culture. Jews have been persecuted for centuries in Europe, so ridiculing Judaism would be in the worst taste, Islam has not had a significant ruling presence in Europe for some centuries, and past criticisms have provoked extreme violence too.

I’m sympathetic in a way. There are sections of the public who are deemed to be living ‘wrong’ lifestyles by traditional Christians. I’ve been to churches in the past, not really the distant past, where gay people were mocked from the pulpit, for example. All sections of society should have the equal right to engage in public celebrations, provided that is within the law. The law these days excludes people on a more reasonable basis, i.e. lifestyles consenting adults at all but the most extreme ends (cannibalism?!?) have an equal footing. Christianity, as a legacy of European history both good and bad, and as a religion that has been represented in far more terrible ways - as in the inquisition or the horrendous legacy of abuse within the Catholic church, and other churches, for example - is something we all own in a cultural sense, so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be expressed in different ways by different groups. This performance is better than having it represented by a bunch of hypocrites in religious uniforms, for example.

Last edited:

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Conservatives just don't like France. Too dang libertine. "Freedom fries," anyone?
Are you calling me a Conservative????

I object to that

I am a Centrist

I dislike both the left and the right