• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
We went to Boston
Going to Chinatown
Mrs Wu drove
Took the wrong turn...her phone told her to
got lost.
I told here which way to go
She decided I was wrong and her phone was right
By the time we got to Quincy she decided her phone had lead her astray.
Pulled over
Reentered the address
Her phone took her back to Boston
ANd we got to Chinatown
ONLY to find our usual parking garage was closed for renovation
And our usual restaurant was only doing take out....no dim sum
Left Chinatown...went to a Sichuan restaurant outside of Boston that we are familiar with

So 3.5 hours to get to Boston.....another 1.5 hours of driving around following a phone that was clueless. Only to finally get to our destination and not go there...

This by the way is not the first time Mrs Wu has listened to the phone over what I was saying.....and for tht matter what the signs on the road were saying.....and...got lost.... tis is why I generally drive....but due to my knee...I cannot

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We went to Boston
Going to Chinatown
Mrs Wu drove
got lost.
Pulled over
Reentered the address
ANd we got to Chinatown
Left Chinatown...went to a Sichuan restaurant outside of Boston that we are familiar with

So 3.5 hours to get to Boston.....another 1.5 hours of driving around following a phone that was clueless. Only to finally get to our destination and not go there...

This by the way is not the first time Mrs Wu has listened to the phone over what I was saying.....and for tht matter what the signs on the road were saying.....and...got lost.... tis is why I generally drive....but due to my knee...I cannot
I dislike phone GPS.
Garmin Dezil works well.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We went to Boston
Going to Chinatown
Mrs Wu drove
got lost.
Pulled over
Reentered the address
ANd we got to Chinatown

Boston is also famous for baked beans. And dirty water.

Wu Wei

I dislike phone GPS.
Garmin Dezil works well.

I have an app on my phone, that came highly recommended. And it is great 50% of the time. Before Mrs Wu went for her phone I entered our destination in to this app, kept the volume off and looked at the map.... it was taking me to Chelsea, which is decidedly not Chinatown of Boston.

I deleted the app from my phone

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have an app on my phone, that came highly recommended. And it is great 50% of the time. Before Mrs Wu went for her phone I entered our destination in to this app, kept the volume off and looked at the map.... it was taking me to Chelsea, which is decidedly not Chinatown of Boston.

I deleted the app from my phone
To be great 50% of the time doesn't speak to the other 50%.
If it's adequate, that's good. If it's terrible, that'll land you in a
lake....which is bad.

Wu Wei

To be great 50% of the time doesn't speak to the other 50%.
If it's adequate, that's good. If it's terrible, that'll land you in a
lake....which is bad.

My very first GPS was a Garmin...and it tried to kill me on several occasions.
On an overpass....."Turn right"
on a back road..."Turn Left".... into a lot of big trees
In New Jersey right after the toll booth.."turn right, left, right, left, left, right, left"...it was 3 lanes merging into 4 lanes near Newark airport
at a traffic light... "take a right at the light"....into a persons house...there was no road, not even a driveway to the right
and Ironically...."turn right"... next to a lake

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
gps-cliff.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My very first GPS was a Garmin...and it tried to kill me on several occasions.
On an overpass....."Turn right"
on a back road..."Turn Left".... into a lot of big trees
In New Jersey right after the toll booth.."turn right, left, right, left, left, right, left"...it was 3 lanes merging into 4 lanes near Newark airport
at a traffic light... "take a right at the light"....into a persons house...there was no road, not even a driveway to the right
and Ironically...."turn right"... next to a lake
I had an old Garmin that once thought I was travelling
several hundred yards to the right of the highway I was on.
No such trouble with more modern ones. And the Dezl
helps me avoid those ding dang parkways back east.
(Mr Van can't legally use those, & is taller than some bridges.)

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
We went to Boston
Going to Chinatown
Mrs Wu drove
got lost.
Pulled over
Reentered the address
ANd we got to Chinatown

Next time, just throw the phone out the window.

I still use my Garmin. Occasionally, it gives me a wrong way(because it badly needs to be updated), but as long as I keep which direction my destination is in, and take note of what direction I should be going, I don't have any trouble.

And if it says to drive into a river, I simply take it as a good natured joke and flip it the bird.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I do like the phone gps in unfamiliar grounds to at least know what kind of curves, turns, and other stuffs ahead. Like in the mountains.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't, but I'd love one for my 7 year old who is obsessed with maps and addresses.

I remember getting interested in maps at an early age, too. My parents had a Rand McNally atlas that I would look at. I would look at each state map and try to find the star for the capital. I learned all the state capitals rather early.

Plus, we went on a lot of road trips, so my dad's answer to the question of "when are we going to get there?" was to give me a map and tell me to figure it out myself. That would keep me quiet for a while.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I remember getting interested in maps at an early age, too. My parents had a Rand McNally atlas that I would look at. I would look at each state map and try to find the star for the capital. I learned all the state capitals rather early.

Plus, we went on a lot of road trips, so my dad's answer to the question of "when are we going to get there?" was to give me a map and tell me to figure it out myself. That would keep me quiet for a while.

That's awesome! Maps are fun.

My middle son is homeschooled, and we've been learning about the 50 states via randomstreetviews.com. He's really enjoyed that. I moved onto North American countries next, but he seems to miss the States, so we'll revisit that when we're done; maybe do the capitols, maybe some major landmarks.

He's autistic, and seems to have a savant thing with addresses. We were in a boat with someone recently, and the guy asked my son where the house was, looking at the shore from the middle of the lake. My son gave him his address. You can ask him the addresses for a good number of things in town, and he knows what they are(but its really annoying when he says something like "Go to 284 Garfield St, or something like that"). You're confusing Mom, just say the grocery store.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You all are using inferior GPS-enabled devices or the device is substandard. There is only one case where the GPS on my current phone led me astray and it was just a very local spot.

With an earlier phone and lesser GPS I did of course ignore the instructions to turn right, drive through a parked car and down a hill.