• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
1241843944238923777-png__700.jpg

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I worked for many, many years in the staffing industry, for the record. Revoltingest, you are right - the workers do get paid. Also, many workers absolutely hate interviewing and trying to tailor their responses to some yahoo they don't even know, just trying to get a job doing something. Going through a good staffing company (and there are good and bad ones out there) is a bit like interviewing totally honestly with literally hundreds of employers. You can say basically whatever you want to - what you love, what you hate, and everything in between. None of the employers I worked with paid anywhere close to minimum wage to anyone. Most paid employees through the staffing company whatever they were paying other employees at the same point in their hiring process, though the employees often got a raise after completing 90 days of full time employment, when they typically went off the staffing company's books and onto the company's books. But so did everyone else. Oh and the staffing company also offered benefits such as health insurance, PTO, etc. Good employees were often offered "permanent" employment, and were sometimes "bought out" in fact, so they could go ahead and go on the company's payroll. This was a very common occurrence.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Watch: Engineers break Guinness World Record with 289-foot paper airplane flight - UPI.com

March 1 (UPI) -- A trio of engineers broke a Guinness World Record when they created and threw a paper airplane that flew a distance of 289 feet and 9 inches.

Dillon Ruble and Garrett Jensen, who work for Boeing, teamed up with fellow aerospace engineer Nathan Erickson and spent four months experimenting with paper plane designs before taking on the Guinness World Record for farthest flight by a paper aircraft.

Truly remarkable.

batman-robin.gif

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Listening to a fake radio station that was made for a game that came out 20 years ago, the station is Radio X and is a 90s alt, hard rock station, and the tracks I listen to on a regular basis but the DJ makes me feel very nostalgic for the time again with her remarks that well satirize the stereotypes of youth then. And because it's Ozzy, Alice in Chains, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Gun n Roses and stuff like that when she says "this is the best recorded music ever. Anyone who disagrees can jump off a bridge" I feel inclined to agree.:cool:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Or head hunters or whatever but in the industry it's called the staffing industry.

I have that industry to thank for my first IT job which started me down my career path and my last job which was "rent to own" (temp to permanent) due to bad experiences with prior hires.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Shoe polish stands begin to vanish, lose their shine | AP News

Shoeshining has a long history in the U.S. In the 1860s, Horatio Alger popularized the “rags-to-riches” American narrative with his book “Ragged Dick” about a shoeshiner (or “bootblack”) who works his way up to wealth. “Shoeshine boys” (and occasional girls) have over the decades been depicted in countless movies and TV shows ranging from classics like Vittorio De Sica’s 1946 “Shoeshine,” to racist caricatures of Black shoeshiners.

Today, the tradition of getting a quick polish from a rag-toting shoeshiner is greatly diminished, and many stands similar to the one in Penn Station have disappeared across the country. The decline has been exacerbated by the pandemic, remote working and the rise in popularity of more casual workwear when people did return to the office. SC Johnson, which makes the biggest shoe polish brand, Kiwi, even said in January that it had stopped selling the brand in the U.K. due to softening demand (they still sell it in the U.S.)

Tommy doesn't shine shoes anymore.