• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
This Zatoichi character is interesting. He's yakuza but a good guy, a cheater who cheats the cheats, traveling massuer, and cinematically interesting how a more realistic way of sword fighting (moving faster and no extra and unnecessary movements) is used to convey his mastery of the sword and lighting speed that makes him an opponent to be feared.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Whatching older movies and shows, we seem to have largely failed to predict the 21st century with neither a utopia or dystopia emerging, with the future that is now not being as good or as bad as typically portrayed.

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes got it right. They envisioned what the future would look like in 1991, and as we can see from these comparative photos, they got it almost to a T.

1681081140693.png

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Our green bin will be full again this week. It takes 5-10 minutes to fill up the buckets we're using due to how the weeds loved the rain and are loving the sun.

Shadow Wolf

What payment will @Wu Wei accept to go retrieve the spring chicken knees of @Revoltingest and the shoulder not making his arm numb? He's retired so I need them more than he does. Wu should do it for free as it's in his best self-interest so he doesn't starve during his own retirement and has support, but he's a grumpy bear so who knows.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What payment will @Wu Wei accept to go retrieve the spring chicken knees of @Revoltingest and the shoulder not making his arm numb? He's retired so I need them more than he does. Wu should do it for free as it's in his best self-interest so he doesn't starve during his own retirement and has support, but he's a grumpy bear so who knows.
It sounds like you're about as retired as I am.
Perhaps even less cuz I've a new job.

Shadow Wolf

It sounds like you're about as retired as I am.
Perhaps even less cuz I've a new job.
Lately, typing on my phone, reading, and improving my handwriting with my left hand are about all i can do that doesn't cause me pain (and even then I have to mind the angles and position and posture of my right arm).
But I have taken back up Japanese. And remembering my frustrations at not being able to figure out the conventions for pronouncing Us (like why is sukoshi desu pronounced skoshi des), nor can I figure out why hito is pronounced shto. I have no idea why, it's just what I hear watching the darkest, most violent, disturbing, gory anime I can find (ie the ones I like). High pitched, whiny, helpless girls are irritating. But giants eating people? A vampire who is King Sadist? A humanoid lab experiment that escapes and rips people apart? That is more what I like and also why I typically watch more foreign tv shows and movies than I do American.
There's one movie, the Anti-Christ, Willem Defoe is in it and there's the unedited, European "Catholic version" and the edited down American "Protestant version." Guess which one I watched.:laughing:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Lately, typing on my phone, reading, and improving my handwriting with my left hand are about all i can do that doesn't cause me pain (and even then I have to mind the angles and position and posture of my right arm).
But I have taken back up Japanese. And remembering my frustrations at not being able to figure out the conventions for pronouncing Us (like why is sukoshi desu pronounced skoshi des), nor can I figure out why hito is pronounced shto. I have no idea why, it's just what I hear watching the darkest, most violent, disturbing, gory anime I can find (ie the ones I like). High pitched, whiny, helpless girls are irritating. But giants eating people? A vampire who is King Sadist? A humanoid lab experiment that escapes and rips people apart? That is more what I like and also why I typically watch more foreign tv shows and movies than I do American.
There's one movie, the Anti-Christ, Willem Defoe is in it and there's the unedited, European "Catholic version" and the edited down American "Protestant version." Guess which one I watched.:laughing:
Sounds like you should consider activities
that develop marketable skills.

Shadow Wolf

Sounds like you should consider activities
that develop marketable skills.
Stabbing people is a marketable skill. So is translating and teaching English in Japan (helps to know some Japanese for that). I'm also very good at video editing. I also have very good writing skills. I can work on cars and some electronics (basically I just don't do phones anymore).
And because today's world is so whacky and weird from what it was when I was growing up, that means I could sit on my *** all day playing video games as that marketable skill.
And as previously discussed, my issue isn't the skills but in that marketing and advertising and drawing in an audience part. I'm good at what I do, except for that. I fit that quote from Stephen King that authors should have a good publicist because good authors usually don't have the social skills to make the marketing part happen. And right now it's also the shoulder as even a de minimis effort of people stabbing stirs a great deal of discomfort.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Stabbing people is a marketable skill. So is translating and teaching English in Japan (helps to know some Japanese for that). I'm also very good at video editing. I also have very good writing skills. I can work on cars and some electronics (basically I just don't do phones anymore).
And because today's world is so whacky and weird from what it was when I was growing up, that means I could sit on my *** all day playing video games as that marketable skill.
And as previously discussed, my issue isn't the skills but in that marketing and advertising and drawing in an audience part. I'm good at what I do, except for that. I fit that quote from Stephen King that authors should have a good publicist because good authors usually don't have the social skills to make the marketing part happen. And right now it's also the shoulder as even a de minimis effort of people stabbing stirs a great deal of discomfort.
To actually make money by knowing Japanese
would require more than occasional dabbling.
Are you putting big time effort into it over the
long haul?

Shadow Wolf

To actually make money by knowing Japanese
would require more than occasional dabbling.
Are you putting big time effort into it over the
long haul?
As I said, the issue isn't that it's the actual marketing part.
And, yes, I studied Japanese for maybe about year before stepping away when I began college. It was very slow and sluggish then, but I've learned a deal of German since then and all sorts of grammar stuff, so that should make my self-study much smoother sailing this time around.
And engaging in self study is itself a combination of marketable characteristics (and how I snoozed through the first semester of German).