• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's literally pick your favorite story amd run with it.
Mine goes back in the days of dueling there were so many bitten off ears in Indiana that "who's ear" evolved into Hoosier.
100 years from now they'll have some very wild explanations for the term.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah. Well, really though, what cam be expected of the state when even those who take the most pride in being from there cannot tell you what a Hoosier is.

I remember going to see the movie Hoosiers with my cousin when I was staying in Illinois, although we were just a stone's throw away from Indiana, where the movie theater was. It wasn't a bad film. Gene Hackman is good in everything he did, and Barbara Hershey and Dennis Hopper played it well, too. But I certainly wouldn't want to live in a place like that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I remember going to see the movie Hoosiers with my cousin when I was staying in Illinois, although we were just a stone's throw away from Indiana, where the movie theater was. It wasn't a bad film. Gene Hackman is good in everything he did, and Barbara Hershey and Dennis Hopper played it well, too. But I certainly wouldn't want to live in a place like that.
I haven't seen the movie, but no you definitely don't want to live there, especially if it's Gary. Kokomo also keeps getting worse from what I'm told, and last I knew about on par with Fresno (which is kind of bad but far from the worst).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't seen the movie, but no you definitely don't want to live there, especially if it's Gary. Kokomo also keeps getting worse from what I'm told, and last I knew about on par with Fresno (which is kind of bad but far from the worst).

Hoosiers was about a small town in the 1950s, and it was filmed in a town called New Richmond, Indiana, but in the movie they renamed it "Hickory."

I think every state has its own unique charm, as well as a downside. Arizona has its ups and downs as well. But we're usually close to the bottom on a lot of quality of life indicators. But not at the very bottom (thank God for Mississippi).

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
You have that problem too, eh.
nope...see...

Closeup_kodiak_bear_male.JPG

I'm brutally handsome

Shadow Wolf

I seem to have accurately predicted one new member. I saw the avatar amd thought nothing good is gonna come of this one having that guy for his avatar amd a name like that.
@VoidCat kept me amused with it on my walk to the store. :joycat:

Shadow Wolf

I think it was about 10 years ago they found the dungeons of Tukat Castle, where Vlad Dracul III was gruesomely tortured amd learned his own methods of brutal cruelty and developed a taste for it.
Vlad is also a hefty piece of evidence in my hypothesis that PTSD has probably shaped history more than anything (at least to a far greater degree than realized).

Shadow Wolf

RF is weird at least this thread is
Tbis thread js sane and normal compared to some of what's out there.
To not point fingers or in directions, some posts tonight have made me feel relieved that I not only got out of a cult that I also learned how to think better and not fall into so many pitfalls I've seen tonight.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Tbis thread js sane and normal compared to some of what's out there.
To not point fingers or in directions, some posts tonight have made me feel relieved that I not only got out of a cult that I also learned how to think better and not fall into so many pitfalls I've seen tonight.
People can be weird and sane or weird and insane.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's something I learned in school as one of the possible origins of the word.
If true, if means Mike Tyson did a Hoosier with Evander Holyfield (except that sounds like it should be sexual).
I must add that it really sounds like 'Hoosiers' has something to do with houses -- etymologically. Therefore 'Hoosiers' must have its origin in mocking the way one of the tribes referres to the europeans who built houses in that land. One of them probably improperly pronounced house dweller. That's one more to add to your pile of explanation.